Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car manufacturers with worse service than Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, it would not be impossible.

Let’s say that only 1% of Tesla owners experience significant issues that require a SC visit.

The 99% are mostly absolutely thrilled with their Tesla and overall give it 95% satisfaction rating.

Of the 1%, let’s say 10% of those have really really bad SC experience. So bad, they rate Tesla overall at 0. The other 90% have mixed experiences, ranging from good to poor, and overall rate Tesla 50%.

The overall Tesla rating = 0.99 * 0.95 + 0.009 * 0.5 + 0.001 * 0 = 94.05%.

So really high owner satisfaction, but a small number of people having a truly horrible experience.
Cognitive dissonance & buyer’s remorse can moderate satisfaction
Hence, why satisfaction surveys mean relatively little to me

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
What would be the difference between messaging Tesla & calling them, when 2 days later I haven’t received a call back (as no one could answer my basic question at the time)?
Good point. FWIW, the same issue abounds in many interactions today. The migration from traditional person to person physical or telephone contact to chat, text, email, etc. is flawed in most situations today. That transition is far from optimal at Tesla and most others. A group of my former colleagues have just completed a large study of >100 such situations ( from Amazon to US State Department Consular Affairs) across more than a dozen countries.

Tesla is very much at the forefront of those changes and was included in the study. It is proprietary so I can give no details. I can say that Tesla was in the top quartile. Those of us who have been forced to endure it find that incredible. On the other hand, those of us who've had to renew a US passport recently may think Tesla is not quite so bad.

From that study and elsewhere I think the very best make very rapid responses, often intelligently automated. Amazon is perhaps the largest example, with minimal personal contact but superb automated responses. Tesla clearly has major improvements needed to match customer service with the product capabilities, oriented towards linking to exception recognition.

'edge cases' in vehicle performance are strong points with OTA updates and vehicle alerts among them. 'edge case' recognition in customer service has very little advance. Tesla needs some serious technology development there, not just pretty good standard voice recognition in most common owner languages.

As @Vostok just pointed out, the case are small proportionately but are serious deficiencies. In numerous threads things such as waypoints in nav, cellular and wifi issues and many more are all ones that disproportionally cause routine customer interactions to be troublesome. Then collision repair, post-warranty service issues and many others begin to be serious problems. Almost all of those can actually reduce costs and increase satisfaction if they have careful attention.

Almost all of those are boring and mundane problems. For ~5% of us, these are fundamental flaws.

After all that a serious operator training program, akin to aircraft type ratings and recurrent training, could eliminate perhaps half or more of the current customer issues. That becomes increasingly essential as Tesla enters the mainstream.

Back to that study: It seems the entities with the highest ratings dealt most emphatically with their own edge cases with customer service.

Cognitive dissonance & buyer’s remorse can moderate satisfaction
Hence, why satisfaction surveys mean relatively little to me

Excellent points! However, surveys can be very useful if they are concentrated to exception evaluation and rectification. Any decent statistician can devise a way to select sub-populations with specific exceptions. That is not unlike the process for dealing with 'edge cases' in FSD or in rocket launches.

It simply is less sexy to do unless production mass adoption is the goal. As just mentioned that requires serious attention to operating instructions and operator design simplicity too.

Very careful satisfaction surveys can be quite helpful. that is NOT J D Power or Consumer Reports!
FWIW, really simple devices (eg :call wait times, call duration, email response times, multiple contacts measurement to cope with the same problem) can identify ways to make rapid improvements that end out increasing satisfaction and reducing costs. Those also have the ancillary benefit of reducing regulatory ire.

Good point. FWIW, the same issue abounds in many interactions today. The migration from traditional person to person physical or telephone contact to chat, text, email, etc. is flawed in most situations today. That transition is far from optimal at Tesla and most others. A group of my former colleagues have just completed a large study of >100 such situations ( from Amazon to US State Department Consular Affairs) across more than a dozen countries.

Tesla is very much at the forefront of those changes and was included in the study. It is proprietary so I can give no details. I can say that Tesla was in the top quartile. Those of us who have been forced to endure it find that incredible. On the other hand, those of us who've had to renew a US passport recently may think Tesla is not quite so bad.

From that study and elsewhere I think the very best make very rapid responses, often intelligently automated. Amazon is perhaps the largest example, with minimal personal contact but superb automated responses. Tesla clearly has major improvements needed to match customer service with the product capabilities, oriented towards linking to exception recognition.

'edge cases' in vehicle performance are strong points with OTA updates and vehicle alerts among them. 'edge case' recognition in customer service has very little advance. Tesla needs some serious technology development there, not just pretty good standard voice recognition in most common owner languages.

As @Vostok just pointed out, the case are small proportionately but are serious deficiencies. In numerous threads things such as waypoints in nav, cellular and wifi issues and many more are all ones that disproportionally cause routine customer interactions to be troublesome. Then collision repair, post-warranty service issues and many others begin to be serious problems. Almost all of those can actually reduce costs and increase satisfaction if they have careful attention.

Almost all of those are boring and mundane problems. For ~5% of us, these are fundamental flaws.

After all that a serious operator training program, akin to aircraft type ratings and recurrent training, could eliminate perhaps half or more of the current customer issues. That becomes increasingly essential as Tesla enters the mainstream.

Back to that study: It seems the entities with the highest ratings dealt most emphatically with their own edge cases with customer service.
I’ve used the Tesla phone app to ask a question, as calling Tesla results in hang ups, no answering etc., days later and I still do not have a call or update from Tesla....this is me trying to follow up with Tesla for something they should be keeping me updated on....seriously great new way of doing business....not!

I’ve used the Tesla phone app to ask a question, as calling Tesla results in hang ups, no answering etc., days later and I still do not have a call or update from Tesla....this is me trying to follow up with Tesla for something they should be keeping me updated on....seriously great new way of doing business....not!
I needed to do this last month, but couldn’t find a way of messaging them through the app without first creating an appointment. My query was with a previous service, but once the service is completed the chat channel associated with that appointment is closed. I had to create a new appointment to open a channel to chat. Frustrating and inefficient. You can get to a specific service centre from the tesla 1800 number, but you have to get the 1800 person on a good day and have a very good reason to be put through

Has anyone dealt with a company with worse service than Tesla?
By service, I define it both as the readiness to deal with & rectify vehicle faults, as well as the customer service approachability, responsiveness & contactability

I’ve never dealt with a worse company, which includes Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, General Motors Holden, Ford , Mitsubishi & Subaru
Most of them. My service in Orlando with all five of the Teslas I have owned has been superb!

The migration from traditional person to person physical or telephone contact to chat, text, email, etc. is flawed in most situations today. That transition is far from optimal at Tesla and most others.
I’ve found the chat function (with real people) with some companies to be the most efficient way to engage with them... short waiting times and fairly immediate resolution of the issue. For others, their email support works great, especially if the issue is not time-critical. It seems different horses for different courses.

But then some companies killed their chat functions during the pandemic and replaced them with bots and some killed their email support lines as well. Qantas, for example, only seems to have traditional telephone support active right now (usually with > 1 hour wait times), and both chat and email support wiped out, and filling out the few online forms that remain on their website seem to disappear into a black hole.

My engagement with Tesla has been limited but kind of OK. A software download got stuck on my Model 3 once, I lodged a support request through the App but only 1 or 2 days later got a phone call from a real person who un-stuck it in real time.

My Powerwall Gateway died last year but the Tesla engagement was handled by the third-party company that installed it. A couple of weeks later, a Tesla tech turned up and fixed it. Ironically, it was the same guy that installed it, having changed jobs from the third-party solar installer to become a Tesla employee.

I also ordered frunk hooks from the Alexandria service centre not long after getting my Model 3, and then heard nothing. After a couple of months I called them and they said they were no longer available. Then a couple of months after that a random service appointment appeared in my App unannounced - yes, my frunk hooks had arrived 🤷‍♂️

Although the service centres I’ve dealt with have been terrible with repeated visits for the same issue (Richmond & Elsternwick), there is more to a company than their service centres. And on the whole, Tesla is atrocious
Atrocious.
You mean like VW (Dieselgate), Hyundai (Mileagegate), GM (Bailoutgate and disgusting products), and FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily). I've had experiences with all of them and although not a fanboy, I have found Tesla to be the most reliable of the lot. Having said that, there are serious growing pains and there is always room for improvement. This Mission of TESLA to provide sustainable energy systems for the future is being met. How many EVs do you think would exist without having had TESLA pave the way. I would submit - ZERO

Atrocious.
You mean like VW (Dieselgate), Hyundai (Mileagegate), GM (Bailoutgate and disgusting products), and FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily). I've had experiences with all of them and although not a fanboy, I have found Tesla to be the most reliable of the lot. Having said that, there are serious growing pains and there is always room for improvement. This Mission of TESLA to provide sustainable energy systems for the future is being met. How many EVs do you think would exist without having had TESLA pave the way. I would submit - ZERO

You’re missing the point, this is not about how reliable a Tesla is compared to its competitors (I own 2x Tesla’s, had 3 in total, was an early adopter by Australian standards, have many referrals, have a PW2 as a freebie and my wife says Elon is my second wife). I obviously love Tesla and it’s mission, stay on point....this is about “some” service centres requiring to lift their game, Tesla to get more serious about ensuring better service experiences for customers etc.

I got a call from Tesla yesterday in relation to an ongoing issue and was informed that his position had been put on to follow through on cases and ensure customer satisfaction/resolution occurs.....could be good news.

Atrocious.
If GM is ‘Bailoutgate’ then Tesla must be ‘Startupgate’

You’re missing the point, this is not about how reliable a Tesla is compared to its competitors (I own 2x Tesla’s, had 3 in total, was an early adopter by Australian standards, have many referrals, have a PW2 as a freebie and my wife says Elon is my second wife). I obviously love Tesla and it’s mission, stay on point....this is about “some” service centres requiring to lift their game, Tesla to get more serious about ensuring better service experiences for customers etc.

I got a call from Tesla yesterday in relation to an ongoing issue and was informed that his position had been put on to follow through on cases and ensure customer satisfaction/resolution occurs.....could be good news.
Totally agree. Saw an article this morning where a Tesla was stuck at a Supercharger overnight because it wouldn't release from the charger. Even the emergency pull tab failed (didn't know there was one). Service has to be more responsive and constant across locations.

I had a bit of an unfortunate experience, had my RHS repeater dented by a door, had it quoted by Tesla and booked in. I did the almost 2 hour drive and dropped the car in and waited, they came out about 30 mins later and I'm thinking "wow that was nice and quick I'll be home before I expected" but alas they were letting me know that the replacement repeater was faulty and they had to refit the damaged one.

They said "It's OK we'll send someone out to you next time" that was until they found out that I was 150km away then it was "oh sorry no you'll have to come back". I get that it wasn't their fault they didn't choose a faulty part but that's part of the issue with Tesla right now, they have mobile service but only if you live close to a service centre so those of us that are far away have the double whammy of having to travel further with no option.

It's a bit of a nit-pick really and could be far worse but still frustrating as it wasn't my fault the part was faulty either but it'll require another 4 hour 300km round trip plus waiting time in a couple of weeks :(

I had a bit of an unfortunate experience, had my RHS repeater dented by a door, had it quoted by Tesla and booked in. I did the almost 2 hour drive and dropped the car in and waited, they came out about 30 mins later and I'm thinking "wow that was nice and quick I'll be home before I expected" but alas they were letting me know that the replacement repeater was faulty and they had to refit the damaged one.

They said "It's OK we'll send someone out to you next time" that was until they found out that I was 150km away then it was "oh sorry no you'll have to come back". I get that it wasn't their fault they didn't choose a faulty part but that's part of the issue with Tesla right now, they have mobile service but only if you live close to a service centre so those of us that are far away have the double whammy of having to travel further with no option.

It's a bit of a nit-pick really and could be far worse but still frustrating as it wasn't my fault the part was faulty either but it'll require another 4 hour 300km round trip plus waiting time in a couple of weeks :(

One would hope Tesla are paying for the charging?

My main problem with the Tesla service seems to be shared by most of the people commenting in this thread.
Communication!
I have found that the service team have always been excellent and have bent over backwards to make my experience with the car good, but it is very frustrating not being able to contact them directly.
For example, my car went in to get the MCU upgrade on Friday morning. On Friday afternoon I got a call to say that they were struggling to update the software and it wouldn’t finish until Saturday morning, but that the service centre was going to be open Saturday morning to work through some backlog.
About 11 am Saturday morning I tried to call to see if the car was ready to be picked up but the phones don’t ring outside normal hours. I tried to use the app, but it was locked because the car was in service. So basically had no way of communicating with Tesla at all.
About 2:30 on Saturday afternoon I got a notification to say that there was a message on the app. When I went into the app it was locked for service so I couldn’t see the message, and couldn’t navigate to where the messages are listed. I worked around this by going to the notification centre in the phone and clicking the notification itself to open the app. This opened the app directly into the message centre and I was be to read the message (to say they are sorry that they were still having trouble and now it will be a Monday pick up hopefully).
That seems to be a glaring
bug that communication through the app does not work properly if the car is in service. I would imagine it would it would be a common scenario needing to communicate with an owner whose car is in service.
But having said all that, they are still an amazing team and I still love the car. Can’t wait for the refresh in 2022 :)

I'm waiting almost three months for a rear glass replacement on my 3. Been delayed twice already; let's see whether they don't delay yet again. Richmond Vic.

Glass should be one of the things which is always in stock, in my view. Imagine if it were a crack which rendered the vehicle unusable (luckily it's not, being along and above the black bit at the very rear, stress fracture - better damn be a warranty replacement!). :mad:

I'm waiting almost three months for a rear glass replacement on my 3. Been delayed twice already; let's see whether they don't delay yet again. Richmond Vic.

Glass should be one of the things which is always in stock, in my view. Imagine if it were a crack which rendered the vehicle unusable (luckily it's not, being along and above the black bit at the very rear, stress fracture - better damn be a warranty replacement!). :mad:

I think it is inexcusable to not have critical parts in-stock or at least a fast track delivery for them....to be waiting months is truely unconscionable....

Sorry, where is the start of the crack to determine it’s caused by stress & not the glass being hit/chipped?
Have Tesla agreed to cover it under warranty?
And yes, 3 months is pathetic