Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash scare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car 5 weeks ago and just took it for its first bath yesterday as I finally found a decently priced hand wash near my office. My mom kept telling me to just run it thru the automatic wash to get the bugs off from our road trip last weekend... and I kept telling her "it's too complicated" lol.

I'll be sure to refer back to this thread when I make my first attempt at a regular car wash so I know what not to do haha :)

I took mine through an automatic for the first time the other day and had a moment of panic where I drove on to the pulley system and realized I had literally no idea how to put the car in Neutral. Drive is one direction, Reverse is the other direction, and Park is the button... I've never noticed that Neutral has its own little tactile "bump".

I took my MS for it's first ever brushless car wash and the guy told me I had to stay in the car to drive it through b/c it needs the weight, which I forgot about.

This is from the OP. Can someone explain to me what is meant by "it needs the weight" - ? I must be missing something here.... surely the weight of the passenger in a 4,700 lb car wouldn't make a difference in such a system...

• Funny
Reactions: Jimmy 1
I send my car through an automated wash also (please don't judge me for treating my car so harshly). However my car wash uses a conveyor belt system so the whole car moves on a platform with no tracks. I have scraped too many rims on my wide wheels from my performance cars to do that again. I have not noticed my transmission go from N to P. I guess that my wash session is too short. If it went to P, it shouldn't be a problem for my car until I exit where the car goes off the belt. I'll keep a closer eye the next time.

I send my car through an automated wash also (please don't judge me for treating my car so harshly). However my car wash uses a conveyor belt system so the whole car moves on a platform with no tracks. I have scraped too many rims on my wide wheels from my performance cars to do that again. I have not noticed my transmission go from N to P. I guess that my wash session is too short. If it went to P, it shouldn't be a problem for my car until I exit where the car goes off the belt. I'll keep a closer eye the next time.
I do the same at least once a week (it's a lease) without any issues while on the conveyor belt. I have had issues trying to put it into Neutral and push just a little too hard and put it in Reverse. :eek:

I just put in in neutral and haven't had an issue with it going back into Park. I just sit in my seat with my family and watch the suds fly. I usually hand wash it myself but I had a free car wash coupon for a new local place. They did an OK job. Got 2 slight clearcoat scratches from them using dirty rags to dry the car after. The wash itself seemed fine though its hard to say. I won't be doing that again with my soft painted Tesla.

I got the entire front XPEL wrapped and that's looking great. The coating on the entire car did not prevent the slight scratches. The XPEL did. If I had the entire car wrapped I could just get an unlimited monthly pass for $25 at this place and keep going throughout the entire winter.

I thought that going thru the automatic car wash would void your XPEL warranty?
Asking for a friend :)

I never knew this either. I just pop it in N. Will use tow mode.

As for brushless/automatic washes - just know, it's not optimal, you ARE creating swirl marks and slight abrasions (as minor as they may be). Its not catastrophic, they all come off with a proper compound/polish/wax session. Rather than handwash regularly, I opt to go to a very modern/well equipped auto wash locally, and just detail in intervals to maintain the appropriate protection level/appearance.

I thought that going thru the automatic car wash would void your XPEL warranty?
Asking for a friend :)

Got the answer from XPEL

"We have many customers that have taken their car through automatic car washes and it was okay. It will not void the warranty on XPEL. Although, if your car is not fully wrapped with XPEL ULTIMATE, you may have to worry about the swirl marks on the non-wrapped panels."