Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wow M3 drag race. Surprising result

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s the quickest carwow have times a M3P in a drag race. The ones that feature a pre-facelifted M3P they all got 11.8 sec quarter mile times, this one got 11.7. Assuming they cut away to the correct screen the LR in the drag race showed Standard and Chill as its drive modes...if it had the boost it would show Sport and Chill instead. They got the cut away wrong when showing the badges as the LR had the red stripe under dual motor whereas it’s not evident on the car they raced.

Sorry if this has been covered already (new to the thread), but isn't that white 'LR' they are racing a P-? At 28 seconds in they show the Dual Motor badge on a white car which has the red underline - I believe this shows its a p- rather than an LR? I don't want to doubt them as they make good content, but there always seems to be little niggles like this where it feels like something doesn't quite add up?

Sorry if this has been covered already (new to the thread), but isn't that white 'LR' they are racing a P-? At 28 seconds in they show the Dual Motor badge on a white car which has the red underline - I believe this shows its a p- rather than an LR? I don't want to doubt them as they make good content, but there always seems to be little niggles like this where it feels like something doesn't quite add up?
yes it has been. they have clearly edited a stock image in in error. the back of the car can be seen clearly at 8:20 and there is no line.

Reactions: Avendit
Interesting video.

I have been seriously considering switching to a P from an LR order before watching this.

Now it feels like £10k extra for a bigger set of wheels seems like a lot of money.... They are so close in every other respect, it's the only big difference!
Not true. You could get an entirely pointless spoiler if you bought the P as well. Carbon fibre. Presumably to save weight. Because a tiny strip on the back of the car is going to make a difference to a 1800KG vehicle...

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and s88ats
Not true. You could get an entirely pointless spoiler if you bought the P as well. Carbon fibre. Presumably to save weight. Because a tiny strip on the back of the car is going to make a difference to a 1800KG vehicle...
I believe it software unlocks a higher top speed when Tesla add the spoiler. For when you go to Germany. Oh, Wait...

I believe the software upgrade would be smarter if you are otherwise happy with the car (wonder if that has re-sale value or if its a 'subscription' and the £££ get flushed at resale?)

Reactions: Neilio
If I were buying again I'd really struggle to justify the price differential between the LR and P (although it's marginally better than it was with the SR+ and LR price increase post grant removal, £10k delta is still a lot).

Logic dictates that LR + Acceleration Boost is the sweet spot in terms of price & performance.

I'd still find myself buying the P, though, for the same illogical reasons @nxsynjs said. I have to have the fastest one available.

I think as a current M3P driver, I’ll likely consider a LR next time, love the car but hard to justify with the price difference now.

As said already, was a different story price wise when I ordered mine :) - still got mine to enjoy for another couple of years though, so plenty of time to change my mind :D

The ride was also crashier on the P whereas the LR was very comfortable.

The brakes on the LR feel mushy whilst on the P they are a lot more firm - translate into nothing on stopping distance but again we are back to "the feel".

I am also worried about the nagging voice of "should have got the P" if I do have the LR.
Interesting that you mention the ride quality. This is hardly ever mentioned when people talk about the differences between LR and P, apart from a cursory ''you get lowered suspension with the M3P'' and ''the 20'' wheels are too crashy''. I test drove the LR AWD then a week later a Performance and LR back to back - I actually found the ride in the P less crashy - sure it was firmer and in that regard less comfortable, but it felt better controlled, and for me gave a better ride quality. Maybe it's due to the lowered suspension, maybe all psychological, but it convinced me to go for the P. If I hadn't been worried about invalidating the warranty I might have gone for the LR and bought the boost and some coilovers. Had my P for 8 days now and very happy - and yes, after years of owning the next best MX5 power wise the nagging ''should have gone for more power'' voice was also a consideration - only problem now is I have the (admittedly fairly quiet) ''should have gone for the one where I got a tow bar'' voice. ;)

Interesting that you mention the ride quality. This is hardly ever mentioned when people talk about the differences between LR and P, apart from a cursory ''you get lowered suspension with the M3P'' and ''the 20'' wheels are too crashy''. I test drove the LR AWD then a week later a Performance and LR back to back - I actually found the ride in the P less crashy - sure it was firmer and in that regard less comfortable, but it felt better controlled, and for me gave a better ride quality. Maybe it's due to the lowered suspension, maybe all psychological, but it convinced me to go for the P. If I hadn't been worried about invalidating the warranty I might have gone for the LR and bought the boost and some coilovers. Had my P for 8 days now and very happy - and yes, after years of owning the next best MX5 power wise the nagging ''should have gone for more power'' voice was also a consideration - only problem now is I have the (admittedly fairly quiet) ''should have gone for the one where I got a tow bar'' voice. ;)
I found even the slightest pothole in the P and the whole car would reverberate.. whereas the LR on the same route soaked it up much better.

Am sure that when pushing on around some country roads and the P would handle much better. That's the trade off but I did find the P to be uncomfortable on bad roads, of which there are a lot of!

As for being happy with it... when buying a car such as a P - that's all that matters, you're buying it for the extra smiles it gives! So enjoy. :cool: :)

P- with tow bar (rated to 500kg) on 18's and UPP coilovers here.

Why yes, thank you sir. I would like some of that cake and will indeed enjoy eating it 😁.

Only really performance car that is type approved to tow. Everything else drops the approval at 'mild' levels (I think an S3 can be spec'd? But that is way too much £££ for too little car).

Reactions: Jez_GB
My point is that what one person might see as 'irrational', could be perfectly rational for someone else with different priorities and circumstances.
So what priorities and circumstances do you think would make it perfectly rational to spend an extra £10k on a P? The usual response is that they simply wanted the quickest version regardless of cost or even how much quicker it actually is. FOMO is often mentioned too. Or simply because it is the most expensive top of the range model. I fully understand this kind of reasoning, but it is by definition irrational. That doesn’t imply it is wrong, just irrational!

Now if the P model really was massively quicker than the LR then as a speed freak I would probably have gone for it. But having checked out a few drag strip comparisons I came to the same conclusion as Carwow ie it’s a lot closer than I would have thought. Especially since Tesla quote 0-60 times for the two cars in different ways just to make the P look relatively faster. That is a bit naughty of them really.

Anyway I will soon have the dilemma of choosing between a P and LR Model Y. The MY P has about the same performance as a M3 LR, which I can happily live with. But I’m not sure I want to take a backward step in performance with the MY LR. I admit that’s a fairly irrational way of looking at it, but there you go!

Reactions: Gatsojon and Jez_GB
Anyway I will soon have the dilemma of choosing between a P and LR Model Y. The MY P has about the same performance as a M3 LR, which I can happily live with. But I’m not sure I want to take a backward step in performance with the MY LR. I admit that’s a fairly irrational way of looking at it, but there you go!

Do you live in the U.K? When are you expecting to take delivery of a Model Y?

I couldn’t wait to get rid of my ICE car any longer and had to get rid of my ICE car. Took the plunge on a LR M3.

I wonder where the MY with acceleration boost would sit, assuming it would be available?

Reactions: pow216
I wonder how many P sales the LR Boost has "robbed" Tesla of. There must be people on the fence though thought they might be disappointed with the LR performance who buy it anyway knowing they have that option ( and then probably don't use it) I guess Tesla must have figured its worth it but given the price difference between the two is mainly profit as far as we can tell i'm surprised they don't like offer it only after a year or something to minimise the affect on sales.
I also wonder how much value it will add. Cant be near its full value since any owner can add it any time. Or would it be like some ICE mods car and drop the value since people will assume the previous owner was a hooligan!. Does it impact insurance costs?

So what priorities and circumstances do you think would make it perfectly rational to spend an extra £10k on a P? The usual response is that they simply wanted the quickest version regardless of cost or even how much quicker it actually is. FOMO is often mentioned too. Or simply because it is the most expensive top of the range model. I fully understand this kind of reasoning, but it is by definition irrational. That doesn’t imply it is wrong, just irrational!

Now if the P model really was massively quicker than the LR then as a speed freak I would probably have gone for it. But having checked out a few drag strip comparisons I came to the same conclusion as Carwow ie it’s a lot closer than I would have thought. Especially since Tesla quote 0-60 times for the two cars in different ways just to make the P look relatively faster. That is a bit naughty of them really.

I chose the Model 3 P for all those entirely irrational reasons. I wanted the higher spec car. Yes, it costs a fortune. Yes, it explodes at the site of a pothole, yes it has less range. Yes it's less comfortable. Yes unless you track it you'll use precisely NONE if the little bit of extra power that it has over an LR with performance boost. But but... I have a red line and an entirely pointless spoiler. So ner. I kind of wish I had gone for an LR.

As for the Performance Y: I just don't understand the concept. Performance cars are low and sleek and wide. The Y is tall and ungainly and, as you say, only as fast as a model 3 LR. So I would never go for that one: you either want a comfortable and practical car and go for the Y LR or you want something with red brake calipers, in which case go for the 3 P