Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be careful what you ask for ... I want to see those rims! :cool:

Being that this is most likely a new merchant, it won't take many chargebacks to shut off their card processing.

Make sure that is the outcome you all want before pushing forward...
I've seen a few merchants go bankrupt in a situation like this and then you definitely won't be getting rims ;)[
/QUOTE]

Same story -- they always have a good reason for yet another delay. We've seen only one photo of a real wheel. It's in ESE's interest to keep us posted on progress and photos of production wheels do that. Why not photos of the wheels being tested? That we don't see them just raises suspicions.

Ask for a refund. I don't think you'll se it anytime soon if at all. That's why I did a chargeback.

It's unfortunate to see this happen. This is good advice to reduce any exposure. If the rims finish testing and start shipping, then you can always reverse course. If ESE gets their credit card privileges revoked, then that's a customer service problem on ESE's end and is NOT your problem.

I'm still confused on the "testing" that is being done. The testing should be done to validate the design and production methods, not to test every single wheel already produced to 150,000km. Not only would that be expensive and take forever, that would be one heck of used and abused rim being sold as "new".

It's unfortunate to see this happen. This is good advice to reduce any exposure. If the rims finish testing and start shipping, then you can always reverse course. If ESE gets their credit card privileges revoked, then that's a customer service problem on ESE's end and is NOT your problem.

The chargeback process takes 1-2 months. So if the wheels materialize, you're right. But based on the ESE history I don't want count on it.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/188704227

Job description
ESE Industries is seeking to fill a mechanical engineer full time position. Responsibilities will reflect the level of education and experience for the chosen candidate. The mechanical engineer will work with the existing senior engineering staff and engineering team to develop new products and tooling for our composite manufacturing capabilities.

Primary responsibilities include:
• Produce 3D CAD models in Solidworks, detailed engineering drawings and assemblies for fabrication.
• Produce and maintain engineering documentation on all design work.
• Run FEA analysis on product designs and tooling.
• Create composite layup patterns and procedures for products and/or tooling.
• Work to refine and develop our composite manufacturing processes.

We hire full time engineers on a contract to hire basis on a standard 90 day probationary period. Compensation will be based on experience and benefits will be offered as available. This engineer will be Atlanta based but also required to occasionally travel to our production facility in North Georgia as well as customer sites globally for consultations.

I am plan on having these guys mount the Michelin PSS - they have the new HUNTER Revolution touchless mounting system. They also have the Hunter Road Force balancing system
WOW!

For background, I have watched many tire shops on old machines work on my (now deceased) Mercedes AMG and aftermarket rims and tires and ruin lots of brand new or almost new rims and tires, and they have insane trouble trying to even do that as well as possible, even if experienced. I watched many, many times, and saw the problems they had firsthand. That YouTube above with that Hunter Revolution touchless mounting system addresses all the problems I witnessed firsthand. Basically, I assume all issues I witnessed with Mercedes would be equivalent with all the rims discussed in this thread about Tesla. If possible, I'm never going to a place that doesn't use the (Hunter) Revolution touchless ever again (or better).

--------

On Nov 9, 2015:
I am about to order a set of ESE Carbon fiber rims - 19 inch x 8.5 inch. Will let you know how it turns out. BTW Carbon Revolution rims are now standard equipment on the Mustang SVT. The ESE Carbon rims are $2K each - If I could get them to call me back I would have already ordered them..
On Sep 19, 2016:
Christmas 2016 please..
Damn, so this hasn't been delivered. Reminds me of @artsci's experiment with foam tires: Tesla went out and got them standard on their cars quicker than artsci got his experimental set.

--------

In 3 to 5 years Carbon Fiber Wheels will cost the same as "top forged alloy wheels" or so Carbon Revolution claims.

Wheel maker Carbon Revolution raises $50m to expand
That would be awesome! Would counteract a lot of the issues that places have with their awful roads with potholes everywhere. (Seems to be widespread issue --- using tax for other than fixing roads; winter road wear; dirt roads; etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
They are currently labor intensive to produce but there is nothing inherently cost prohibitive about carbon rims. Cloth and resin are just not that expensive. Its a matter of getting the pre-preg cutting and loading process down along with autoclave cycle times. It should not be long.

The key will be getting to reliable streetable 10lb rims. The CR rims are not so much less weight than high quality forged rims that they would warrant the price delta unless you just had to have carbon rims (my opinion of course).

Reactions: Xenoilphobe