Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo cover not as good as expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just keep a moving blanket in the back RHS cubby, and throw it over anything I wish to make private.
If it fits in the rear trunk, then it goes there.
simple enough.
That's exactly what I do too! Every car I've owned with a cargo cover (Lexus and Audi SUV's), that cover has wound up in corner of the garage because it's a PITA to deal with.

Harbor Freight makes a nice black moving blanket that works perfectly, size 40"x72", and it'll set you back a whole $5. Rolled up, it fits perfectly in one of the cubby's with the lid on it.

1679934940016.png

That's exactly what I do too! Every car I've owned with a cargo cover (Lexus and Audi SUV's), that cover has wound up in corner of the garage because it's a PITA to deal with.

Harbor Freight makes a nice black moving blanket that works perfectly, size 40"x72", and it'll set you back a whole $5. Rolled up, it fits perfectly in one of the cubby's with the lid on it.

View attachment 921849
exactly what I use.
in addition, I put them in the side pockets and line the rear sub-trunk to keep down noise.
it actually works to reduce some of the low rumble from the rear hatch area.

Reactions: csrpenfab
I received delivery on my MYLR last week that came with a cargo cover and the biggest complaint I have with it is that it's not easy to move it out of the way. It folds in a Z shape but doesn't stay in place. It slowly slides back making it frustrating to load things in the back. Anyone else feeling the same? I almost feel like it's better to not have it at all because it's not functional.
the foldable cargo cover is an engineering joke. how could you screw up a design this badly. It's basically unusable. Even the SC told me it's junk when I picked up the car. Looks nice..........just in the way because it won't retract. Comical

Reactions: imperialhippy
That is indeed strange that there is no part number. Anyone that has one of these tri-fold parcel shelf, please post a part number if you find one. I so want one of these 😂
For reference:
I received my car 12/17/22 and have the trifold version with not part #.
Another car that was picked up on 12/31/22 had the single fold version, 1641293-00-D,

A third car that was picked up on 3/29/23 has the trifold version, also no part #.

Cars all from CA.

Reactions: TriniB
For reference:
I received my car 12/17/22 and have the trifold version with not part #.
Another car that was picked up on 12/31/22 had the single fold version, 1641293-00-D,

A third car that was picked up on 3/29/23 has the trifold version, also no part #.

Cars all from CA.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully soon someone gets the trifold with a part number on it. Since you have cars with both versions, can you confirm if the trifold is much better, easier to use?

This is not unusual. They put out something new as version 1. After taking another look, gathering some feedback the innovate to an improved version.

Originally people complained that there was no cover, then they complained that one provided for free was not up to their standards, and now a newer version comes out, and seems better. All this for something that was provided for free.

View attachment 925096
View attachment 925097

Works nicely and folds up like we’ve seen in other images. Can slide behind the 2nd row seat backs and also fold up nicely to give access to most of the cargo area. Old on the left and new on the right.
Hey @blulegend when you purchased the "updated version (on the right) were you able to find the part number in the online catalog, or did you just send them a message with that part number. Currently (July, 5, 2023) the only part number showing up is 1641293-00-D. The old shelf (left) looks terribly designed and I want to order the newer one, but again, the only part number that comes up on the Tesla website is the "00-D" version.

Thanks in advance.

Hey @blulegend when you purchased the "updated version (on the right) were you able to find the part number in the online catalog, or did you just send them a message with that part number. Currently (July, 5, 2023) the only part number showing up is 1641293-00-D. The old shelf (left) looks terribly designed and I want to order the newer one, but again, the only part number that comes up on the Tesla website is the "00-D" version.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I sent them the message through the service section of the app and they ordered it for me that way. I said I wanted the updated shelf with the extra fold and also stated what I thought was the new part number. Good luck!

Reactions: myp2022
Hi, I sent them the message through the service section of the app and they ordered it for me that way. I said I wanted the updated shelf with the extra fold and also stated what I thought was the new part number. Good luck!
Got my parts ordered! Quick question. Have you noticed any noise when going over bumps with the cargo shelf? I currently have an aftermarket RPM Tesla cargo shelf and it locks in (similar to my lexus nx). So the shelf can "jump" when the car hits bumps. The OEM cargo shelf doesn't seem to have "tracks" to lock the cargo shelf in (up and down movement). I'm debating on which one is better. The aftermarket shelf also sits pretty tight in between the panels, effectively immobilizing the panel movement and cutting the small creak noises down.

Thanks in advance!

Got my parts ordered! Quick question. Have you noticed any noise when going over bumps with the cargo shelf? I currently have an aftermarket RPM Tesla cargo shelf and it locks in (similar to my lexus nx). So the shelf can "jump" when the car hits bumps. The OEM cargo shelf doesn't seem to have "tracks" to lock the cargo shelf in (up and down movement). I'm debating on which one is better. The aftermarket shelf also sits pretty tight in between the panels, effectively immobilizing the panel movement and cutting the small creak noises down.

Thanks in advance!
The factory shelf is held down by magnets that are integrated into the shelf and the side rails. If you don't have the side rails because your model didn't come with them and/or the shelf then you might not be able to use a factory shelf at all.

Reactions: myp2022