Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carmax as a Tesla Dealer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the Politicians continue to be successful in jeopardizing the business model of TESLA MOTORS, here is a novel idea. Let CarMax become the representation in the states where they cannot operate. TM could pay CarMax a commission of say 5% and they would get all the trade ins to sell. Considering there is minimal investment for CM as there is no inventory everything is ordered. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the service centers those can be owned by TM and just have CM represent them in the places that are causing problems. Another way would be just set up a subsidiary like Solar City and let the people go there to order the cars, give them a FRANCHISE.

Have you been to a carmax? They are the exact opposite ambience of a Tesla store. I would rather order the car from california and pay to have it shipped to me than go into a carmax. I think Tesla should stick with their strategy. I have often found with even some basic background research on the car I am interested in, I know more than the Car salesman at a dealership. More than once I have heard a car salesman say: "I'm not really into cars". As a car enthusiast I don't understand this at all.

More than once I have heard a car salesman say: "I'm not really into cars". As a car enthusiast I don't understand this at all.
I can. Two reasons:
  1. People have lives to lead and mouths to feed. Not everyone is fortunate enough to work with people or products that they enjoy.
  2. It's an easy way for a seller to "get a pass" on getting stuff wrong. If he says "I'm a car guy" and then gets challenged on something technical, it's counterproductive regarding trying to make a sale.

I can. Two reasons:
  1. People have lives to lead and mouths to feed. Not everyone is fortunate enough to work with people or products that they enjoy.
  2. It's an easy way for a seller to "get a pass" on getting stuff wrong. If he says "I'm a car guy" and then gets challenged on something technical, it's counterproductive regarding trying to make a sale.

1. Weak excuse. Part of life and putting food in your mouth is doing your job. Many of us have had to do jobs which weren't near and dear to our hearts. It's not a reason to do a half-hearted job. If you've had to take a job as a car salesman, learn everything you can about the cars you're selling so you can do your best selling them, then learn about your competition so you can better sell the cars on your lot. Daddy always said, if you're going to spend the time to do something, you might as well do it right the first time and to the best of your ability.

2. Cop out. And simply adds to the stigma associated with car salesmen. Yes, I'm familiar with sticking my neck out and recommending for clients. Either you know your profession or you don't. If you do, then you shouldn't fear doing it. If you don't, then learn or get a new job.

I can. Two reasons:

1. This doesn't have to do with the employee. It has to do with the employer. Do you think Tesla / BMW / Porsche will employ someone who says: "I'm not really into cars"? There are millions of people looking for jobs. There are millions of people who "are into cars". If you hired the person who isn't, you're simply doing it to cut costs.

Not that I'm saying there isn't a valid place in the world for low overhead businesses. But Tesla isn't one of them.

If the Politicians continue to be successful in jeopardizing the business model of TESLA MOTORS, here is a novel idea. Let CarMax become the representation in the states where they cannot operate. TM could pay CarMax a commission of say 5% and they would get all the trade ins to sell. Considering there is minimal investment for CM as there is no inventory everything is ordered. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the service centers those can be owned by TM and just have CM represent them in the places that are causing problems. Another way would be just set up a subsidiary like Solar City and let the people go there to order the cars, give them a FRANCHISE.

Once Tesla opens up even ONE dealer, they will lose their prime argument and will have to close almost all of their existing stores in almost every state. I have difficulty understanding how threads like this get started. Thing is, that Tesla is a world wide company and the "dealership problem" exists nowhere else other than North America (that I am aware of).

Have you been to a carmax? They are the exact opposite ambience of a Tesla store. I would rather order the car from california and pay to have it shipped to me than go into a carmax. I think Tesla should stick with their strategy. I have often found with even some basic background research on the car I am interested in, I know more than the Car salesman at a dealership. More than once I have heard a car salesman say: "I'm not really into cars". As a car enthusiast I don't understand this at all.

This is also why I hate dealing with car salespeople. Unfortunately, it's the way selling is done. The dealer (or any company for that matter) hires salesmen based on whether or not they can SELL. It doesn't matter if they are selling toothpaste, machine tools, real estate or cars. Knowledge of what they are selling is secondary to their ability to SELL. It's the same reason why the Widget company you work for hires managers and executive staff with non-Widget backgrounds. It's not their experience with Widgets that counts, it's their experience in handling and managing companies and people they are looking for.

While that turns car enthusiasts like you and me off, it works on the other 90% of the population.

Last edited:
Once Tesla opens up even ONE dealer, they will lose their prime argument and will have to close almost all of their existing stores in almost every state. I have difficulty understanding how threads like this get started. Thing is, that Tesla is a world wide company and the "dealership problem" exists nowhere else other than North America (that I am aware of).

Completely agree!

After reading some of the responses here I want to clarify some things. Most of us Tesla owners and advocates are smart people. I have been around life for awhile and we all know that what should be isn't what always happens. Currently the NADA and their minions are successful in blocking TESLA in 3 states and going strong on many others. If the company is put out of business in some states, it eliminates that market. Texas, NC, Va and Md could just be the beginning. They are even talking about not allowing the car to be registered in those states that block the sale so that could keep them out completely. Then, if they don't allow service centers, who will buy a car that cannot get it service? (even if it needs minimal service) The track here can be devastating to TESLA, and I am sure they are thinking about a fall back position. This thought of using CARMAX could just be expanded to setting up a special Kiosk at some stores to take orders, and have an attached service center, that may or may not be owned by TM. Just trying to think on how to circumvent the unfair situation. Some may stand on principal, but if they are successful in stopping TESLA they have to have a way to access all the markets. This may not be a situation where a large number of people are willing to get involved. In fact, I have signed the petition that Curt Rentz put up, but at last look, they are far short of the 10000 signatures needed by July 5th. So while the public may be sympathetic, there is no ground swell to shame the NADA into backing off. The CarMax suggestion was just a simple way to get representation in states where the NADA has won.

I certainly wouldn't want carmax to be the dealer.

However, I do admit that I fail to see some of Musks arguments about them not being able to sell competitively. At this stage in the game Tesla's prime customers are the ones who have already researched the car and want to buy one. It would be trivial to find out what dealer in their area has one and go there. I suspect the dealer wouldn't be much in the business of trying to sell you a Tesla. Most buyers will simply walk in already wanting one. Sort of how most Leaf and Volt buyers are now.