Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, does the LTE modem required if you have premium connectivity in the car or it is completely unrelated and you realy need the LTE modem to get internet connectivity to the the R P I ?
thx
Premium connectivity and the need for the LTE modem are unrelated. The car needs to have a live Internet connection. When you connect the car to the Pi's WiFi it relies on that for the car's Internet. Early revisions wouldn't work at all as the Tesla wouldn't stay connected to the Pi WiFi if there was no Internet behind it.

There is an offline mode that doesn't require the LTE but some features of the Tesla won't work well without it, like their navigation or streaming services. Not a huge loss as CarPlay would take their place. I use TeslaFi for logging my trips, etc. Not sure how it would work without always on Internet.

I am having a problem with the recommended usb modem "alcatel ik41uc". When I connect to my windows pc it works but when I connect to the raspberry pi it does not. For the usb modem to work on the PC I had to set the APN but in the raspberry pi (Android Settings) I cannot find a place to the set the APN?

Anyone know how to test if overclock is working?
I used this

When I applied the overclock it showed about a .2 amperage increase. It's not a steady draw, but I did notice the peak was that much higher.
Answer:
In Tesla Wi-Fi settings don’t forget to click on “remain connected when in drive”. 🤣🤣🤣
On my initial setup I had to learn that. Then when I went to the single Pi build I forgot about that setting. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I am having a problem with the recommended usb modem "alcatel ik41uc". When I connect to my windows pc it works but when I connect to the raspberry pi it does not. For the usb modem to work on the PC I had to set the APN but in the raspberry pi (Android Settings) I cannot find a place to the set the APN?
I am in same situation. Did you find a solution / tutorial?

Did you ever have the two Pi build running?

My modem is fine, but I remember setting it up with the two Pi build, but not specifically what was done for the modem. Even reviewed the instructions. Wonder if there's a clue in there somewhere as to why it's not working for the two of you.

No start using the one pi solution so no experience with the two pi solution.

I looked at the old instructions and the only thing it tells you to do is to save your PIN. I did not put a pin since I never did put a pin on my sims before.

Did you ever have the two Pi build running?

My modem is fine, but I remember setting it up with the two Pi build, but not specifically what was done for the modem. Even reviewed the instructions. Wonder if there's a clue in there somewhere as to why it's not working for the two of you.
I am using one pi setup. I looked at 2 pi instructions and it glosses over modem setup. i’ll have to,learn more about android os.

Have gone through the instructions (started the process over) 4 times and keep getting caught up with this command (I am using the latest version of SDK platform tools)

./fastboot format:ext4 userdata
Warning: userdata type is raw, but ext4 was requested for formatting.
Couldn't init profile successfully (error: 1).
./mke2fs failed with status 1
fastboot: error: Cannot generate image for userdata

worked on this for 5 hours.. excited to get it up and running :). Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Have gone through the instructions (started the process over) 4 times and keep getting caught up with this command (I am using the latest version of SDK platform tools)

./fastboot format:ext4 userdata
Warning: userdata type is raw, but ext4 was requested for formatting.
Couldn't init profile successfully (error: 1).
./mke2fs failed with status 1
fastboot: error: Cannot generate image for userdata

worked on this for 5 hours.. excited to get it up and running :). Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Best to always include as much info about your environment. Example, are you using windows, linux or Mac To issue the commands. What version of platform tools or anderoid studio was installed on your computer.

Worked fine for me using Windows 10 running on my Mac via boot camp. I chose to use windows because usually it is easier. I had the latest platform tools installed and added the directory path to the tools to the PATH environment variable so the commands could be found if I was currently in the tesla-anderoid folder.

Best to always include as much info about your environment. Example, are you using windows, linux or Mac To issue the commands. What version of platform tools or anderoid studio was installed on your computer.

Worked fine for me using Windows 10 running on my Mac via boot camp. I chose to use windows because usually it is easier. I had the latest platform tools installed and added the directory path to the tools to the PATH environment variable so the commands could be found if I was currently in the tesla-anderoid folder.
Thanks for the response :) I am using Terminal on a Mac M1 machine. Latest developer tools (dated August 16th) and also added directory path. Everything other command prior to the last two (formatting user data and meta data) worked great.. so frustrating to be right at the end arrgghhhh

I am using one pi setup. I looked at 2 pi instructions and it glosses over modem setup. i’ll have to,learn more about android os.

I was finally able to get the USB 4G modem to work with my single pi Tesla Android but I had to connected through a Netgear TL-WR902AC travel router that is very small and have many features including a USB port that you can connect a USB 4G Modem. I connected the Alcatel IK41UC to the TL-WR902A and after a simple and quick configuration it worked the first try. I then connected the travel router through a ethernet cable to the pi. Worked like a charm and it is fast, faster than when I connected to my windows pc. The good part is that this little travel router is only $40.

After the Alcatel IK41UC USB 4G modem worked on the Windows PC and the travel router I think that if you do not previously configure/connected to a two pi Tesla Android configuration the single pi configuration image is missing some configuration settings and it does not work. Hopefully on the new versions this will be addressed.

I was finally able to get the USB 4G modem to work with my single pi Tesla Android but I had to connected through a Netgear TL-WR902AC travel router that is very small and have many features including a USB port that you can connect a USB 4G Modem. I connected the Alcatel IK41UC to the TL-WR902A and after a simple and quick configuration it worked the first try. I then connected the travel router through a ethernet cable to the pi. Worked like a charm and it is fast, faster than when I connected to my windows pc. The good part is that this little travel router is only $40.

After the Alcatel IK41UC USB 4G modem worked on the Windows PC and the travel router I think that if you do not previously configure/connected to a two pi Tesla Android configuration the single pi configuration image is missing some configuration settings and it does not work. Hopefully on the new versions this will be addressed.
Wow. Thanks for the tip @EMEV . i am adventurous enough to try it 🤣.

Thanks for the response :) I am using Terminal on a Mac M1 machine. Latest developer tools (dated August 16th) and also added directory path. Everything other command prior to the last two (formatting user data and meta data) worked great.. so frustrating to be right at the end arrgghhhh
I just went through the steps on my Intel Mac. Mac OS 12.6 . Anroid Studio 2021.3.1 . Latest platform tools os of 10.14.2022 . I added this in my user profile .zshrc ..quit terminal..and restarted so the additions could take effect. The paths reflect where I put the installs. Perhaps you left out setting DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH ?? or it might not be needed t you run tools using direct paths......

# Anderoid
export PATH=$PATH:/Applications/Android_Platform_Tools/platform-tools
export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=$DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH:/Applications/Android_Platform_Tools/platform-tools/lib64/libc++.dylib