Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will try today. I have been using with a 256GB card, so should be fine.
I have 1 PI setup, and although with a large heatsink, fan, overclocked, low temp, often I still got freezing issue. Hopefully the new version will be better.

It does. I'm using it with mine.

So just finish installing 44.2 and still the Alcatel USB LTE Modem does not connect the cellular network. Keep having the blue flashing light which means - found LTE network and trying to connect. If all works the light turns solid blue (means it connected) - which I get when I connect the Alcatel USB LTE Modem through my micro router (so both the modem and my cellular plan is working when connected to another computer). I think the problem could be with the string Tesla Android is using to enable the cellular network which works with some but not other cellular networks. I am using T-Mobile.

What cellular network are you using?

So just finish installing 44.2 and still the Alcatel USB LTE Modem does not connect the cellular network. Keep having the blue flashing light which means - found LTE network and trying to connect. If all works the light turns solid blue (means it connected) - which I get when I connect the Alcatel USB LTE Modem through my micro router (so both the modem and my cellular plan is working when connected to another computer). I think the problem could be with the string Tesla Android is using to enable the cellular network which works with some but not other cellular networks. I am using T-Mobile.

What cellular network are you using?
I have the same Alcatel USB LTE Modem and am also on T-Mobile. Mine has no problem connecting. I think the author suggested to someone facing similar issues to make sure the power supply is providing enough power to the pi. Aside from that, not sure.

I have the same Alcatel USB LTE Modem and am also on T-Mobile. Mine has no problem connecting. I think the author suggested to someone facing similar issues to make sure the power supply is providing enough power to the pi. Aside from that, not sure.

Thank you. Will check. Although I am using the T-Mobile network, my provider is actually Tello. No other computer sees the difference between T-Mobile and Tello and actually all are set to use T-Mobile and it works. So, if it is not the power supply it could be some nuance with Tello and Android Project???

Thank you. Will check. Although I am using the T-Mobile network, my provider is actually Tello. No other computer sees the difference between T-Mobile and Tello and actually all are set to use T-Mobile and it works. So, if it is not the power supply it could be some nuance with Tello and Android Project???
Interesting pattern. My provider is tello too which uses t-mobile network & my Alcatel is not working on tesla android but works on windows. Michael asked me for some debugging info which I’ll get to him today.

My pi is powered via cigarette lighter usb-c adapter which supports 100Watts power output. Lte stick powers on according to status lights.

Interesting pattern. My provider is tello too which uses t-mobile network & my Alcatel is not working on tesla android but works on windows. Michael asked me for some debugging info which I’ll get to him today.

So it seems a particular issue with how Tesla Android is enabling the cellular network that is not working with Tello??? Since we are both experiencing the exact same issue with Tello and others with different networks including T-Mobile (minnesnowta) are working.

My modem, from the eBay order is an "Alcatel LinkKey - IK41UC | LTE AT&T / T-MOBILE UNLOCKED USB Internet Dongle". Works fine for me, my carrier is AT&T.

Yes, same modem as mine and ElectricAnt54 but with a different cellular network - in your case AT&T - in our case Tello. It is looking like an issue of how Tesla Android is enabling the cellular network that is not working with Tello. My same modem and Tello network combination works fine on my Windows and a micro-router I have so I know it works, just not with Tesla Android.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54

Checked the power supply - it is specifically for Pi4 and provides 3.5 amps. I checked with a dongle I have and it is steadily working and providing full power. So since ElectricAnt54 is experiencing the same issue with the Tello network, I think the problem is how Tesla Android is enabling the cellular network that is not working with Tello.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Cool. What tester do you have?

I got this tester that comes with the load adapter:

Also got this additional tester to test PD and QC voltage power supply capabilities:

If you get this voltage tester be very careful and do not connect your phone or any other device to it since this voltage tester forces the voltage no matter what the device accepts. It is to test the power supply only and by itself. If you connect a device to it and force a voltage that your device does not accept it will fry your device.