Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can not speak about the CPC200-Autokit since I never had one. I have the CPC200-CCPA and I use it with my iPhone for wireless CarPlay. I never used my CPC200-CCPA for wired connections but other in this thread have said they did. Probably someone who has the CPC200-Autokit can speak about it.
Since you have confirmed the CPC200-CCPA works for sure with wireless CarPlay. I'll just stick with purchasing that exact model.

So I first I just want to say, great forum and very helpful!
And thanks to mgapinski for this awesome work-around!!

I set up my Tesla-Android this week and finally deployed to my M3P last night. I'd like to say things went smooth.... but no.
Here's my setup:

Rasberry Pi 4 8 gb - (Case is plastic, so it doesn't interfere with WiFi signal)
Overclocked with suggested settings

SanDisk 128 Gb SD Card - (Figured I would go bigger for future update, plus so cheap anyways)

CarlinKit dongle - (Got the CCPA version as it was listed in hardware suggestions)

Phone - iPhone 14 Pro Max. (for Carplay)

Everything hooked up VERY easy and with no hitch at first. Very responsive UI.
The problem comes once the CarlinKit is connected to the Pi and Carplay comes up, the CarlinKit disconnects right away and the music plays through my phone. After that it won't stay connected at all and I have to forget device and re-pair.
I've tried rebooting Pi and car, neither help.

Also I must say even after reading through a few forums, I still don't have a great grasp on the install/setup process. It's not a very organized process.
- Does't the phone ONLY have to pair with the carllinkit?
- Do you also need to pair it to the Pi?
- Do you need to turn on bluetooth tethering (Hotspot) in the Pi settings??
I think we need a bit more detailed setup/settings process and maybe a troubleshooting post with solutions.

Any help with my issue would be extremely appreciated! I'm very excited to get this working! (and looking forward to version 2022.45)
Never mind my other posts about shipping from China.. found it on Amazon thanks to this post!

Reactions: TheFinga
I can not speak about the CPC200-Autokit since I never had one. I have the CPC200-CCPA and I use it with my iPhone for wireless CarPlay. I never used my CPC200-CCPA for wired connections but other in this thread have said they did. Probably someone who has the CPC200-Autokit can speak about it.
I use CPC200-CCPA for wired CarPlay and Wireless. Works very well. Once in a while the carlinkit box has a hiccup and disconnects. In wired mode you need to unplug and plugin phone. In wireless mode, I think it auto connects again. I split my time between using it wireless and wired. Lately went back to wired because it feels like CarPlay gui is more responsive especially since I'm running autokit at highest resolution but I have no empirical data just my own feeling.

Reactions: Daekwan
I use CPC200-CCPA for wired CarPlay and Wireless. Works very well. Once in a while the carlinkit box has a hiccup and disconnects. In wired mode you need to unplug and plugin phone. In wireless mode, I think it auto connects again. I split my time between using it wireless and wired. Lately went back to wired because it feels like CarPlay gui is more responsive especially since I'm running autokit at highest resolution but I have no empirical data just my own feeling.
Been reading your posts for a while now. Probably trust you as much as anybody. Ordered the CCPA from Amazon and should be here Monday!

Been reading your posts for a while now. Probably trust you as much as anybody. Ordered the CCPA from Amazon and should be here Monday!
Thanks. Here is what mine looks like. The model numbers are printed on the front of the hardware. I notice sometimes google and eBay search results bring up different model numbers so just posting this photo.
08E53428-1147-4BB1-9A35-75F5317D819E.jpeg

Thanks. Here is what mine looks like. The model numbers are printed on the front of the hardware. I notice sometimes google and eBay search results bring up different model numbers so just posting this photo.
View attachment 878759

Mine looks the same but it does not have the chinese characters. I also bought in Amazon so not sure if they have different version when selling with different vendors.

I am still not able to make the setup work smooth. 2 out of 5 times it works but the whole system is laggy. I have raspberry pi 4 with 4gb of ram(no overclock, plastic case with a fan, heatsinks), usb c charging adapter, cpc200-ccpa carplay adapter and the car is 2018 model 3 on latest update(browser should be okay). What am I doing wrong?

I am still not able to make the setup work smooth. 2 out of 5 times it works but the whole system is laggy. I have raspberry pi 4 with 4gb of ram(no overclock, plastic case with a fan, heatsinks), usb c charging adapter, cpc200-ccpa carplay adapter and the car is 2018 model 3 on latest update(browser should be okay). What am I doing wrong?
i Have seen a few messages in GitHub & Twitter suggesting wifi of some older model 3 cars is not too strong. The antenna is in side Mirror on passenger side of car. Try taking cover off of plastic case if possible and put the raspberry pie on passenger seat to see if lag goes away. If this helps maybe try storing pi in glovebox? I think someone with older model 3 on Twitter did this.

if the anderoid os is not laggy but CarPlay is, then there might be a hardware issue with your carlinkit unit. You can try to using wireded CarPlay instead of wireless as a test. first remove the existing CarPlay entry In your phone. Then connect phone to carlinkit via usb-a to lightening cable. phone will ask if you want to allow using CarPlay when phone is locked, answer yes.

• Informative
Reactions: timeshifter
On this latest Tesla Android version and with Tesla 2022.36.20 I have to keep turning on the WiFi in the Tesla car after I leave the garage even when I have set it in the car to keep it alive with the Tesla Android WiFi. Once I turn on the WiFi on the Tesla it connects to the Tesla Android with no problem. Anyone else seeing this same behavior with the Tesla car WiFi turning off even when you say that it should keep it alive with Tesla Android?

On this latest Tesla Android version and with Tesla 2022.36.20 I have to keep turning on the WiFi in the Tesla car after I leave the garage even when I have set it in the car to keep it alive with the Tesla Android WiFi. Once I turn on the WiFi on the Tesla it connects to the Tesla Android with no problem. Anyone else seeing this same behavior with the Tesla car WiFi turning off even when you say that it should keep it alive with Tesla Android?
I have Tesla firmware 2022.40.4.1 and Tesla android 2022.45.1 and do not notice this issue. Anyone else with tesla firmware 2022.36.20 having this issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: EMEV
I did not experience that when I had Tesla firmware 2022.36.20.

Reactions: EMEV
I think I’ll do a write up of known quirks and post somewhere like a blog or google doc etc. there are some.

Biggest, nav audio gets muted by certain actions such as skipping songs/podcasts with steering wheel controls. I need to test if skipping via CarPlay gui causes it. Also seems using music or podcast apps after starting nav might trigger it. Developer knows. There is a GitHub ticket. Not sure how much he can do the address this but we shall see.

Remedy:
Use tesla. Bluetooth app push pause then play. Then click on browser app. Usually this is instant, no need for browser app to reload. I now keep Bluetooth & web browser app in my favorites bar at bottom of screen.

I think I’ll do a write up of known quirks and post somewhere like a blog or google doc etc. there are some.

Biggest, nav audio gets muted by certain actions such as skipping songs/podcasts with steering wheel controls. I need to test if skipping via CarPlay gui causes it. Also seems using music or podcast apps after starting nav might trigger it. Developer knows. There is a GitHub ticket. Not sure how much he can do the address this but we shall see.

Remedy:
Use tesla. Bluetooth app push pause then play. Then click on browser app. Usually this is instant, no need for browser app to reload. I now keep Bluetooth & web browser app in my favorites bar at bottom of screen.
I did not have this issue but another audio skipping issue while streaming Youtube directly on Tesla Android (install via Google Play Store). Streaming anything from Carplay does not have this issue but it lags too much (due to not the system does not support hardware encoder/decoder yet). Still cannot figure out how to resolve that issue. I have MCU2 by the way so it probably is the main reason why Youtube on Carplay lags badly. Google Map also lags to some extend that I cannot use it in full screen.

However, this could due to the placement of the Rpi. I used an inverter in the rear outlet, then velcro the Rpi as well as the LTE router to the rear trunk pocket then the iPhone is wirelessly connected to the Carlinkit. It could be because of this setup that renders my Google maps usage unusable. Previously when I placed the Rpi in the center console storage, it did not have enough cool airflow to reduce the heat built up. If only the USB LTE modem works, then I don't need to use the inverter and the LTE router.

I did not have this issue but another audio skipping issue while streaming Youtube directly on Tesla Android (install via Google Play Store). Streaming anything from Carplay does not have this issue but it lags too much (due to not the system does not support hardware encoder/decoder yet). Still cannot figure out how to resolve that issue. I have MCU2 by the way so it probably is the main reason why Youtube on Carplay lags badly. Google Map also lags to some extend that I cannot use it in full screen.

However, this could due to the placement of the Rpi. I used an inverter in the rear outlet, then velcro the Rpi as well as the LTE router to the rear trunk pocket then the iPhone is wirelessly connected to the Carlinkit. It could be because of this setup that renders my Google maps usage unusable. Previously when I placed the Rpi in the center console storage, it did not have enough cool airflow to reduce the heat built up. If only the USB LTE modem works, then I don't need to use the inverter and the LTE router.
"Youtube on Carplay lags badly." hmmmm I've never seen YouTube app within Apple CarPlay. That would be nice as sometimes I want to listen to just the audio. I'll have to look again.

You have the Pi in the rear of car? That could be your issue. The PI's wifi is not the strongest. You want the pi to be pretty close to the Tesla wifi. In model 3 & y this is in passenger side mirror. I'm not sure about location of antenna in other models. I have a 2022 Performance Model Y and keep everything below the center arm rest, no issues. I did demo YouTube running on pi's web browser to someone last week and that worked surprisingly well. I was using my 4G LTE modem connection (I use the travel router methodology still).

If you re having lag issues between pi and Tesla web browser display, try temporarily moving all the equipment to a location near the car's wifi and also near your phone if you use wireless CarPlay / android auto. If your pi is in an enclosure, try removing the top at least to see if that helps signal range. Developer ays to avoid metal enclosures. I have a minimal plastic enclosure which doesn't cover the pi entirely either.

Here is my case + fan (and it is on sale now..lucky people...the fan could be overkill but California summers can get hot so thats my excuse):

"Youtube on Carplay lags badly." hmmmm I've never seen YouTube app within Apple CarPlay. That would be nice as sometimes I want to listen to just the audio. I'll have to look again.

You have the Pi in the rear of car? That could be your issue. The PI's wifi is not the strongest. You want the pi to be pretty close to the Tesla wifi. In model 3 & y this is in passenger side mirror. I'm not sure about location of antenna in other models. I have a 2022 Performance Model Y and keep everything below the center arm rest, no issues. I did demo YouTube running on pi's web browser to someone last week and that worked surprisingly well. I was using my 4G LTE modem connection (I use the travel router methodology still).

If you re having lag issues between pi and Tesla web browser display, try temporarily moving all the equipment to a location near the car's wifi and also near your phone if you use wireless CarPlay / android auto. If your pi is in an enclosure, try removing the top at least to see if that helps signal range. Developer ays to avoid metal enclosures. I have a minimal plastic enclosure which doesn't cover the pi entirely either.
Ah, Youtube on Carplay only works on jailbroken iPhones, it does not work on jailed iPhones, and I have several jailbroken iPhones for this purpose :p

I'm using the cluster stackable GeekPi enclosure for the Pi and they're made of acrylic so it definitely does not block/interfere with the Pi's wifi signal. I'll try moving the Pi to the front again for testing and see if I can mount and hide it somewhere so it is not visible to the eyes. I actually was trying to mount it right below the steering wheel on the flocking surface but it clearly visible if you look in from the outside and I did not want that, hence I moved it to the rear trunk side pocket where the rear 12v outlet is.

Ah, Youtube on Carplay only works on jailbroken iPhones, it does not work on jailed iPhones, and I have several jailbroken iPhones for this purpose :p

I'm using the cluster stackable GeekPi enclosure for the Pi and they're made of acrylic so it definitely does not block/interfere with the Pi's wifi signal. I'll try moving the Pi to the front again for testing and see if I can mount and hide it somewhere so it is not visible to the eyes. I actually was trying to mount it right below the steering wheel on the flocking surface but it clearly visible if you look in from the outside and I did not want that, hence I moved it to the rear trunk side pocket where the rear 12v outlet is.
My test unit is made from cluster stackable components lol. Yea , that’s pretty open air. My daily driver is the 52pi case. Both enclosures have the ice cooler tower fan. I saw you mentioned you previously had pi under center armrest but you thought unit was getting hot. I am not sure which car you have. But I do not have this issue. I no longer overclock pi too As of tesla-android 2022.45.1 . The model y under armrest storage is not air tight (perhaps a fingers width of gap around some portions of edging) so perhaps that is why I do not have heat issue. I assume model 3 is similar. It does get warm in there but not horrid. I do tend to keep my travel router in the cup holder in front of the arm rest storage area since that gizmo does tend to give off a bt of heat.I never tried keeping it in same area as pi, perhaps I will. I drove 4 hours the other day up the coast of California, no heat issues.