Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before step 5 - Insert the SD Card into your Raspberry Pi 4 and power it on. Should I plug the PI into a monitor? How will I know once step 6 completes?

Also should I update firmware or versions if possible on the PI, Carlinkit dongle or Autokit?

Last edited:
Before step 5 - Insert the SD Card into your Raspberry Pi 4 and power it on. Should I plug the PI into a monitor? How will I know once step 6 completes?

Also should I update firmware or versions if possible on the PI, Carlinkit dongle or Autokit?
I think dev had mentioned updating pi eeprom is helpful. After powering pi on with the sdcard, watch for its WiFi signal, it will have an ssid like Tesla Android xxxx.
then connect a computer or tablet to the ssid, then access 9.9.0.1 from a browser and you’ll should see an android interface. Open autokit and go to settings to check for software update. After autokit updates, plug in carlinkit and let it check for updates and update if it shows.

hope this helps. Also, plug in Ethernet to pi after it had put up WiFi network so that autokit can access internet

You can plug a monitor in if you want to, just make sure it’s not a 4K monitor, otherwise you’ll get a blackscreen after bootup (at least that wa what happened to me before)

Reactions: Daekwan
I think dev had mentioned updating pi eeprom is helpful. After powering pi on with the sdcard, watch for its WiFi signal, it will have an ssid like Tesla Android xxxx.
then connect a computer or tablet to the ssid, then access 9.9.0.1 from a browser and you’ll should see an android interface. Open autokit and go to settings to check for software update. After autokit updates, plug in carlinkit and let it check for updates and update if it shows.

hope this helps. Also, plug in Ethernet to pi after it had put up WiFi network so that autokit can access internet
By coincidence. I went through these steps this morning. Here was the order I did.

Check to see what local IP addresses your home router uses for the LAN (Local Area Network). Mine is in the 192.168.0.x & the below steps work. I suspect all 192.168.x.x IP ranges will work.

1) Pi is turned off, ethernet not plugged in, carlinkit is not plugged in.
2) plug in ethernet in to pi
3) turn on pi and wait about 120 - 130 seconds for Tesla-Anderoid_xxxx wifi network to appear.
4) view the Pi screen by using a computer web browser by connecting to web address 9.9.0.1 . You can use iPad but sometimes the touch events are not translated properly to Pi. I also tend to use a browser's "private mode" to avoid an occasional web caching glitch which just shows the Tesla-android screen as being white.
5) When you can see the Tesla-android screen, plug in carlinkit dongle....and wait....after about 30 seconds you will see a menu appear asking which app you want to use when this device is detected. The menu will show autokit. Select autokit. another prompt will ask if you always want to use autokit for this device (carlinkit), say yes. You might get other questions asking if you want the device to be able to access certain parts of the OS. I said yes.
6) load autokit. It should pretty quickly tell you an autokit software update is available. You will for sure have one update available for autokit if you are using tesla-android 2022.45.1 . If you do not get a notification about available update, try to use the button for manually detecting available updates. If you do not get notification of available update, your PI might not be able to recognize your LAN ip address or there is issue with the ethernet cable, verify it can provide internet access to another device.
7) install update, again android os will ask you to grant permission for autokit to install updates. Say yes.
8) after you are running the new autokit, go to the autokit settings menu (a gear icon in autokit main screen) and click on the button for detecting updates (near bottom of settings page or might be in advanced settings)....the next update it might find is a firmware update for the carlinkit dongle. You might not have any updates.

Sorry if this is rushed, I'm on the way out for the afternoon. But this will probably lead me to make a blog post in the future :). Good topic.

Reactions: Daekwan
Thanks guys. I made some progress. I was able to get to the pi screen, however it was via my local 192.168 address that was assigned when I connected to ethernet cable. I was not able to connect to the pi via the 9.9 address. Also, for some reason Wi-Fi is not working I tried shutting down and booting without the ethernet cable connected, but nothing. I can only connect via hardwire. Also, the updates have all been applied.

Last edited:
I believe I’m good now. Wi-Fi likely worked before but I did not check the available Wi-Fi networks from my iPad. I saw the Tesla-android Network, connected to it and was able to browse around apply the additional settings. At this point, I guess I just need to take everything to the car and try from there. Tomorrow’s another day. 😏

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
By coincidence. I went through these steps this morning. Here was the order I did.

Check to see what local IP addresses your home router uses for the LAN (Local Area Network). Mine is in the 192.168.0.x & the below steps work. I suspect all 192.168.x.x IP ranges will work.

1) Pi is turned off, ethernet not plugged in, carlinkit is not plugged in.
2) plug in ethernet in to pi
3) turn on pi and wait about 120 - 130 seconds for Tesla-Anderoid_xxxx wifi network to appear.
4) view the Pi screen by using a computer web browser by connecting to web address 9.9.0.1 . You can use iPad but sometimes the touch events are not translated properly to Pi. I also tend to use a browser's "private mode" to avoid an occasional web caching glitch which just shows the Tesla-android screen as being white.
5) When you can see the Tesla-android screen, plug in carlinkit dongle....and wait....after about 30 seconds you will see a menu appear asking which app you want to use when this device is detected. The menu will show autokit. Select autokit. another prompt will ask if you always want to use autokit for this device (carlinkit), say yes. You might get other questions asking if you want the device to be able to access certain parts of the OS. I said yes.
6) load autokit. It should pretty quickly tell you an autokit software update is available. You will for sure have one update available for autokit if you are using tesla-android 2022.45.1 . If you do not get a notification about available update, try to use the button for manually detecting available updates. If you do not get notification of available update, your PI might not be able to recognize your LAN ip address or there is issue with the ethernet cable, verify it can provide internet access to another device.
7) install update, again android os will ask you to grant permission for autokit to install updates. Say yes.
8) after you are running the new autokit, go to the autokit settings menu (a gear icon in autokit main screen) and click on the button for detecting updates (near bottom of settings page or might be in advanced settings)....the next update it might find is a firmware update for the carlinkit dongle. You might not have any updates.

Sorry if this is rushed, I'm on the way out for the afternoon. But this will probably lead me to make a blog post in the future :). Good topic.
Thanks for writing all this up. I had no idea about the update after installation.

Thankfully I have an 8-port switch in my garage that has a few outdoor security cameras & wifi access points connected to it. I'll plug in a 25' ethernet cable to the pi already sitting in the car's console.. and use my Macbook to connect to the 9.9.0.1 web portal and perform the abovementioned updates.

So, is this CarPlay solution, essentially the same as the Carlinkit Wireless CarPlay solution, especially now that Carlinkit is SIM free? Any drawbacks to Carlinkit? Just seems so much easier for someone that is not as techy. Thanks!
I’m not sure what the differences are but I was tempted to try the Carlinkit TC2 solution but there were problems reported in the US and a SIM was required. I too heard a SIM is no longer required.

Do you know where to purchase a SIM-less TC2 and the cost?

I’m not sure what the differences are but I was tempted to try the Carlinkit TC2 solution but there were problems reported in the US and a SIM was required. I too heard a SIM is no longer required.

Do you know where to purchase a SIM-less TC2 and the cost?
It is $119 and is SIM free now. You can purchase on the Carlinkit website. Does not seem too expensive if it works flawlessly for CarPlay.

So, is this CarPlay solution, essentially the same as the Carlinkit Wireless CarPlay solution, especially now that Carlinkit is SIM free? Any drawbacks to Carlinkit? Just seems so much easier for someone that is not as techy. Thanks!
To clarify, there are multiple Carlinkit products on the market. The Pi solution we're talking about here uses a dongle made by that company. That company recently created a new product that is essentially a rip off of the Pi solution. They call it T2C. It looks like a simpler product and less expensive. But that's where it's advantages end.

From personal experience in the past, their support is HORRENDOUS. So I wouldn't count on any help if you purchase one. If you're willing to go totally sans data then it might be OK. I know their first release was terrible with LTE coverage even in countries where it worked (which did not include the US). Don't know if they have a US product that works with data.

For me I don't want to do without data when I drive.

To clarify, there are multiple Carlinkit products on the market. The Pi solution we're talking about here uses a dongle made by that company. That company recently created a new product that is essentially a rip off of the Pi solution. They call it T2C. It looks like a simpler product and less expensive. But that's where it's advantages end.

From personal experience in the past, their support is HORRENDOUS. So I wouldn't count on any help if you purchase one. If you're willing to go totally sans data then it might be OK. I know their first release was terrible with LTE coverage even in countries where it worked (which did not include the US). Don't know if they have a US product that works with data.

For me I don't want to do without data when I drive.
Thanks - but if it is SIM free now, then would it not use the data from your phone? I am just trying to get CarPlay with the most simplest way, as to me the PI Solutions sounds great, but also seems complicated for someone that is not a techie, except for iOS/Windows stuff and also seems less complicated to build. Maybe I am wrong though.