Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s what I did and still can’t get it to work. I also tried turning on usb tethering on the pi.
Usb iPhone tethering Works for me in 2023.7.1 . No need to change anything on pi. I turned on pi, while it was loading up I plugged in iPhone but you can wait till pie boots up fully as some people with poor power setup report pie won’t boot if phone is charging aggressively. Here is what my iOS screen looks like for tethering settings.
CFA97955-A3EF-4C8C-8848-A4FD8C2E289D.jpeg

I updated to this new release 2023.7.1 following the installation instruction on www.teslaandroid.com.

A lot of work was done by Michal and the testers. Thanks a lot for your efforts.

Last night I tested 2023.7.1 at home in my laptop browser from the fresh install on my Pi400 with internet tethered by usb from my iphone 12 mini. The performance at home was very good with super audio quality in Spotify and much improved video in Youtube, Plex and Prime that I tested in my laptop browser.

This morning I took the Pi400 on 2023.7.1 for test drive and it did work in the Tesla browser in my 2020 Model 3 but performance was very poor with slow gui and lots of lag in audio and video.

I already did reset the browser data in my Tesla but that did not improve performance.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong with this new release?

ps I also made two 10 second videos to document the laggy gui, audio and video but dont know how to upload video here on the forum

ps2 I am not using the carlinkit dongle. I just like to use tesla android as an alternative media player in the Tesla browser for Spotify with better audio and the better Spotify gui and for playing video on Youtube and Plex/Prime while driving.

ps3 I had the same experience with not getting the Tesla-Android wifi when I had the iphone tethered at start. When I disconnected and waited to connect the iphone for tethering until after a few minutes the connections were made ok

AAA7A90A-11F6-4F6A-92E4-38F172A15A88.jpeg

Last edited:
Usb iPhone tethering Works for me in 2023.7.1 . No need to change anything on pi. I turned on pi, while it was loading up I plugged in iPhone but you can wait till pie boots up fully as some people with poor power setup report pie won’t boot if phone is charging aggressively. Here is what my iOS screen looks like for tethering settings.
View attachment 907746
What works best to have the phone connect to the pi or the dongle?

What works best to have the phone connect to the pi or the dongle?
sharing Internet connection from phone to pi (tethering) only works if you plug phone in to pi usb ports not the carlinkit dongle. In USA the data will be dedicated from your tethered hotspot allowance so be sure to find out how much your plan offers. My plan is very old and only allows 2GB hotspot data usage & lte modem was better option since I can adjust the plan monthly.

I updated to this new release 2023.7.1 following the installation instruction on www.teslaandroid.com.

A lot of work was done by Michal and the testers. Thanks a lot for your efforts.

Last night I tested 2023.7.1 at home in my laptop browser from the fresh install on my Pi400 with internet tethered by usb from my iphone 12 mini. The performance at home was very good with super audio quality in Spotify and much improved video in Youtube, Plex and Prime that I tested in my laptop browser.

This morning I took the Pi400 on 2023.7.1 for test drive and it did work in the Tesla browser in my 2020 Model 3 but performance was very poor with slow gui and lots of lag in audio and video.

I already did reset the browser data in my Tesla but that did not improve performance.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong with this new release?

ps I also made two 10 second videos to document the laggy gui, audio and video but dont know how to upload video here on the forum

ps2 I am not using the carlinkit dongle. I just like to use tesla android as an alternative media player in the Tesla browser for Spotify with better audio and the better Spotify gui and for playing video on Youtube and Plex/Prime while driving.

ps3 I had the same experience with not getting the Tesla-Android wifi when I had the iphone tethered at start. When I disconnected and waited to connect the iphone for tethering until after a few minutes the connections were made ok

View attachment 907816

I replied in Twitter.

Wait what?

Talk to me more about this. So you hook up the RP4 and run it with no carlink dongle. Then Im guessing you connect to the web browser. And just use the Android interface to use various Android apps in your Tesla. And your Android instance has no parking rules for video?

Can you share what you did? I tried something hacky with Tasker and it only worked some of the time.
Sure thing.

I started with two macros:

Macro 1 - I named this one "Connected"
Trigger: Data Available
Action: Enable Hotspot

Macro 2 - "Disconnected"
Trigger: No Data Connection
Action: Disable Hotspot

These are all you need to switch the hotspot on and off contingent on the presence of a data connection. Doing it this way means that when I have it on my desk, where it's connected via ethernet rather than tethered, it still turns on the hotspot.

BUT. Even with the above two macros the pi boots up with the hotspot on, regardless of data connection. This is a problem for my Model S where, if the pi is connected to the car's USB, it will randomly boot when the car wakes - eg on Sentry activation or similar - and this in turn causes the car to connect to the hotspot and thus lose its LTE connectivity.

So I created a third macro, named "Boot" ...
Trigger: Hotspot Enabled
Action: Connectivity Check, then Disable Hotspot
Contingency: Time Since Boot: Less than 2m 0s.

This now means that, if the pi boots with the tethered phone already connected (or the ethernet plugged in), the hotspot will come on as normal. Otherwise it won't, until you establish some kind of connection.

Weirdly MacroDroid does not have a simple "data connection present" as a constraint. So this third macro is a somewhat clunky workaround; it does a connectivity check (using google.com) and puts the result in a variable; then it disconnects the hotspot if and only if the variable is false.

Apologies if I haven't explained too clearly ... here's a couple of screenshots which may help:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 3.47.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 3.47.11 PM.png
    479.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 3.46.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 3.46.48 PM.png
    451.6 KB · Views: 64
Did you all find that 2023.7.1 fixed the browser crashes that were present in 2023.4.x?

I'm thinking about giving it another shot to try out the lossless Apple Music playback that people are talking about. Is the general idea that you get Apple Music from the Google Play Store and play your tunes through that?

Reactions: Daekwan
Did you all find that 2023.7.1 fixed the browser crashes that were present in 2023.4.x?

I'm thinking about giving it another shot to try out the lossless Apple Music playback that people are talking about. Is the general idea that you get Apple Music from the Google Play Store and play your tunes through that?
2023.7.1 fixed the browser crashing which would predictably happen between 10-40 minutes of usage. It fixed the on screen artifacts too.

On rare occasions typically after a vehicle update some people (happened to me a few times after vehicle updates) have to reboot the infotainment because Wi-Fi & Bluetooth cycle between off & on . A reboot of infotainment always corrects that issue.

Regarding Apple Music, yes the idea is you download android os Apple Music from google play. WARNING: Android OS Apple Music does require that pi has connection to internet even if all your music is on microSD. Apple checks to make sure you are allowed to play the media and needs to fetch other data. I download my favorite music to microSD (when using home Wi-Fi) so I do not rely on lte data as much. You can tell Apple Music to only play media that is on the pi’s storage (local media). Playback is not 100% flawless. There are occasional brief skips which hopefully will be addressed by upcoming software update & possible Wi-Fi antenna modifications to pi and or tesla vehicle. There are some threads on tesla android reddit community .

Basically regarding Apple Music playing back lossless media, if you want plug n play & all the answers on how to get flawless playback, I’d wait and keep an eye on the Reddit community to see when it might be a good time to jump in.

Reactions: Daekwan
2023.7.1 fixed the browser crashing which would predictably happen between 10-40 minutes of usage. It fixed the on screen artifacts too.

On rare occasions typically after a vehicle update some people (happened to me a few times after vehicle updates) have to reboot the infotainment because Wi-Fi & Bluetooth cycle between off & on . A reboot of infotainment always corrects that issue.

Regarding Apple Music, yes the idea is you download android os Apple Music from google play. WARNING: Android OS Apple Music does require that pi has connection to internet even if all your music is on microSD. Apple checks to make sure you are allowed to play the media and needs to fetch other data. I download my favorite music to microSD (when using home Wi-Fi) so I do not rely on lte data as much. You can tell Apple Music to only play media that is on the pi’s storage (local media). Playback is not 100% flawless. There are occasional brief skips which hopefully will be addressed by upcoming software update & possible Wi-Fi antenna modifications to pi and or tesla vehicle. There are some threads on tesla android reddit community .

Basically regarding Apple Music playing back lossless media, if you want plug n play & all the answers on how to get flawless playback, I’d wait and keep an eye on the Reddit community to see when it might be a good time to jump in.
Here is my Reddit thread about android OS Apple Music tips when using tesla android. I’ll add more to the thread as I learn / have time. Probably turn it in to a blog page at some point.

Reactions: timeshifter