Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you are right, I typed in the url and it failed.

I just tried again, and realize the button is hidden on the upper corner you mentioned. I just tried and it responded with the warning, and I agreed and it went full screen. its cool to have this feature. although I have no other app on android, so cannot really test movies and such. maybe I need to drop some movies in to see how well it runs.

thanks!
If you get brave, in flutter app / tesla android preferences , you can turn off sending audio to tesla web browser and instead pair pi to tesla via Bluetooth. This allows audio to sync with video a lot better I hear. I find the process of pairing pi to tesla to be very annoying though. Perhaps I’ll try again tomorrow during lunch break.

If you get brave, in flutter app / tesla android preferences , you can turn off sending audio to tesla web browser and instead pair pi to tesla via Bluetooth. This allows audio to sync with video a lot better I hear. I find the process of pairing pi to tesla to be very annoying though. Perhaps I’ll try again tomorrow during lunch break.
hmm, I have not learn of this. will try later

Just tried to connect Bluetooth between tesla and rpi. It took a while and along the way it seemed like it wiped the memory of Tesla stored Bluetooth devices, but it came back later.
I then noticed the rpi android usb function is grayed out on reading external USB drives. So I’m now trying to see how to put some files over to the sdcard.

• Informative
Reactions: gt2690b
Just tried to connect Bluetooth between tesla and rpi. It took a while and along the way it seemed like it wiped the memory of Tesla stored Bluetooth devices, but it came back later.
I then noticed the rpi android usb function is grayed out on reading external USB drives. So I’m now trying to see how to put some files over to the sdcard.
Interesting! I’ll try to reproduce this & make a bug report if I can. I just setup a new mucroSD so I need to copy files from usb thumb drive to mucroSD. I’ll connect pi to tesla via Bluetooth to see if usb device usage gets disabled.
In meantime, perhaps turning off pi Bluetooth would let you enable using usb devices.

Posted this on Reddit but I thought I may as well ask it here as well!

I've finally managed to get my hands on a PI 4 so I've got round to setting up Tesla Android. After setting it up I've got some questions;
  1. Browser audio stops if I minimise the browser window. Is that supposed to happen?
  2. I noticed the display goes into hyper speed to get back to the current moment time if I then re-open the browser. Is that also meant to happen or have I messed something up setting this up?
  3. I got the Argon One v2 case with the built in fan... does anyone have any idea how I can get the fan to work? They suggest a bash script if you're running on Raspbian, which I obviously can't do on Android... Keen to get the fan sorted as it's already heating up and I've not even set up CarPlay yet...
  4. Is all DRM content playable on Android? Trying to use stream video via BT Sport and SkyGo (UK) and both those apps play for a few seconds and then decide to stop playing

• Informative
I was able to copy data off my usb thumb drive when pi and tesla were paired via Bluetooth.

But this disconnects your phone connection to Bluetooth, right? You can't have both your phone and the r-pi connected to the same time.

But this disconnects your phone connection to Bluetooth, right? You can't have both your phone and the r-pi connected to the same time.
True, you can’t have two active Bluetooth audio sources connected simultaneously to tesla vehicle. Full screen mode doesn’t prevent your phone as acting as a key to the vehicle as that uses a separate Bluetooth system…if that was your concern. People watching a video while recharging might prioritize better lip sync vs. having the phone audio paired to vehicle.

Reactions: tbaud
Does YouTube TV work on Tesla Android?
@timeshifter , I asked in the slack system. here is what they said. Keep in mind that pretty soon tesla android will be getting gps info from the gps metadata tesla vehicle automatically publishes to the car’s browser, so local channels should be available pretty soon.

”Yes, to an extent. Because GPS location doesn't work on it yet, it's unable to verify your location, so local channels won't work. But all the national channels work fine. Quality is limited to 480p, but it's relatively smooth”

Tesla Android 2023.32.1 has been released.

Tesla Android 2023.32.1 just went live🔥

This version includes:
- responsive display
- resolution presets
- GPS support (no extra hardware required)
- improvements to browser audio
- tons of frontend changes (hello Material 3!)

Grab the OTA or visit teslaandroid.com/install-guide to get started

Reactions: Yipsan and gt2690b
Tesla Android 2023.32.1 has been released.

Tesla Android 2023.32.1 just went live🔥

This version includes:
- responsive display
- resolution presets
- GPS support (no extra hardware required)
- improvements to browser audio
- tons of frontend changes (hello Material 3!)

Grab the OTA or visit teslaandroid.com/install-guide to get started
Any plans to add software to handle the actual carplay/AA in a dongle free matter?

Any plans to add software to handle the actual carplay/AA in a dongle free matter?
I’m not the programmer. Best to ask any more questions in the tesla android Reddit community.

For dongles android auto you can use headless reloaded android Os app & also tesla android programmer has teamed up with people to make an android os app which offers android auto wirelessly.

For CarPlay, no dongle free solution is planned. Apple requires a special security chip.

@gt2690b , if you look at the Reddit thread in my previous post your see there are all in one bundles being planned. Those will have the CarPlay dongle disassembled and the hardware is put in an enclosure. The lte modem can go inside too. Basically hiding everything. https://x.com/mikegapinski/status/1691177683151921152?s=61
thanks.. i wasnt looking to buy anything outside of my pi.. android auto would suffice for me.. really just a stable setup even without AA would be OK but i dont even know if that is possible with the Tesla web browser since it seems flaky AF... i really would prefer a solution that taps into the rear camera feed that seems way faster and more stable i dont need touch screen support even

The Tesla Android Project home page (still an open source project) has been updated to include info letting you know how to order premade bundles which have all the hardware in a case similar to other commercial products. These are not sold at a big profit for the developer, this is a passion project more than a commercial venture. The software is still open source and posted publicly.

Gosh these are pretty expensive compared to product x,y,z:
This project offers more abilities than just Apple CarPlay & Android Auto. I don't want to make a log post so I'll write up a blog post on that topic if anyone is interested in the other abilities.

What are these bundles?
The bundles use a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) instead of Raspberry Pi 4B. Computing performance is same but the CM4 comes with external wifi antennas which greatly benefit owners of Model 3 cars older than 2021 and MCU2 cars since those vehicles have weaker wi-fi antennas. Owners of newer cars do not need to use the external wifi antenna. I'll be testing this aspect in my pals older Model 3 which had poor performance when using my personal setup that works great in my Model Y built 12/2021 (intel atom mcu).

There is mention of a free license to an upcoming software which allows wireless android auto to be a possibility. The current solution via "Head Unit reloaded" Android OS app requires a USB connection to the Raspberry Pi.

What if I have most of the hardware already and it works fine for me but I'd like the all in one design too? A bit later kits will be available for people who already have a raspberry pi and accessories. These kits will cost a lot less than the above CM4 bundles.

Last edited:
The Tesla Android Project home page (still an open source project) has been updated to include info letting you know how to order premade bundles which have all the hardware in a case similar to other commercial products. These are not sold at a big profit for the developer, this is a passion project more than a commercial venture. The software is still open source and posted publicly.

Gosh these are pretty expensive compared to product x,y,z:
This project offers more abilities than just Apple CarPlay & Android Auto. I don't want to make a log post so I'll write up a blog post on that topic if anyone is interested in the other abilities.

What are these bundles?
The bundles use a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) instead of Raspberry Pi 4B. Computing performance is same but the CM4 comes with external wifi antennas which greatly benefit owners of Model 3 cars older than 2021 and MCU2 cars since those vehicles have weaker wi-fi antennas. Owners of newer cars do not need to use the external wifi antenna. I'll be testing this aspect in my pals older Model 3 which had poor performance when using my personal setup that works great in my Model Y built 12/2021 (intel atom mcu).

There is mention of a free license to an upcoming software which allows wireless android auto to be a possibility. The current solution via "Head Unit reloaded" Android OS app requires a USB connection to the Raspberry Pi.

What if I have most of the hardware already and it works fine for me but I'd like the all in one design too? A bit later kits will be available for people who already have a raspberry pi and accessories. These kits will cost a lot less than the above CM4 bundles.
Good to see the project progress to this point!

Reactions: ElectricAnt54