Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Catastrophic battery pack failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they don't give you a Tesla loaner, keep your receipts and ask them to reimburse your gas. They have done that for me.
Yes I'm planning on doing that. About $65 in gas for the Hyundai over 2 weeks. Makes you appreciate your MS and the low cost of electrons.

Battery was replaced. They have not given me details (I asked). I'm sure they are not eager for me to investigate the details of why the pack failed. At one point based on my research, when this happens under warranty they would give you a loaner battery and recondition the orig battery and then bring your car back in to swap back. Supposedly this was to keep all of the component serial numbers matching up...There has been no mention of this so far although I asked about it.

You have an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty so I wouldn’t be too concerned about 100k.

My 2015 70D is at 126,000 with about 6% degradation since new if that helps.

Thanks. The general contractor at my rental property just freaked me out with concerns about the odds of complete battery failure which he stated was the reason he bought an R8 rather than a Tesla. I didn’t really accept all of what he said, but it raised doubts. I have always assumed that if I wanted to keep the 2015 S beyond 8 years, I would be able to swap out to newer technology batteries at that point for <$10k to replenish and probably extend the car’s range. Although in 3 years of ownership I’ve had only 1 serious trip detour for charging reasons.

Thanks. The general contractor at my rental property just freaked me out with concerns about the odds of complete battery failure which he stated was the reason he bought an R8 rather than a Tesla. I didn’t really accept all of what he said, but it raised doubts. I have always assumed that if I wanted to keep the 2015 S beyond 8 years, I would be able to swap out to newer technology batteries at that point for <$10k to replenish and probably extend the car’s range. Although in 3 years of ownership I’ve had only 1 serious trip detour for charging reasons.

My plan too. I recently saw a video of a 90 being upgraded to a 100. Work turned out to be simple battery swap: same size and connectors. Then a software configuration and voila.
As there are several reports here of 85 owners with a failed battery being replaced by a 90 by Tesla, this means to me that they are all interexchangeable.
So,definitly, if after the end of my battery warranty I need to, I feel there will be that option to swap at least for a 100.

Somehow this discussion wen from a junction box failure to battery pack replacements and warranty discussions... so I have to ask:
Does anyone know if the junction box failure is considered as a battery pack issue by tesla and therefore covered by the 8 year battery pack warranty?