Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody really knows -- at least, not outside of Tesla. There have been some vague promises that Tesla will eventually support "all important charging standards," or words to that effect, but that claim is very much open to interpretation, and of course there's nothing remotely resembling a promise as to when new products will be made available. I seem to recall seeing a post somewhere from somebody who received a vague promise that Tesla was working on such an adapter from a customer support person, but that's nth-hand information from somebody who's likely not involved in the development, and so that information doesn't carry much weight with me.

Personally, given Tesla's history on this and the fact that a CCS adapter is far from required in North America (or any other market that uses the same CCS variety we use here), I'd say it's likely to materialize sometime, but the wait is likely to be measured in years, not weeks or months. Note that CHAdeMO is quite dominant in Japan, so Tesla was highly motivated to create that adapter for the Model S when they introduced it into the Japanese market, and to make the CHAdeMO adapter work with the Model 3 when they began selling the Model 3 there. There's no equivalent compelling need for CCS, AFAIK.

Reactions: Rocky_H and DriveMe
Doesn't seem at all likely that we'll see a CCS adapter in North America. The ChaDeMo adapter is the go-to choice if you need third party DC support.

There's no external need, as the European Model 3 comes with the CCS2 connector, which is better than the CCS1 we see here.

ChaDeMo is not supported at all new stations, VW is only rolling them out at 1 per site and other companies are following suit. Nissan will likely move to CCS in the near future as their Renault partner already has. Long term, CCS is the only way to go.

CCS Combo 1 and CCS Combo 2 connectors are essentially identical other than the shape of the connectors, they have the same capabilities and connections. The Type 2 connector is more capable as it has the ability to do 3 phase charging, but that is not present on the Combo 2 connector.

Given that the Model 3 now supports the CHAdeMO adapter, is the idea of a CCS adapter dead? I would love to get a CCS adapter that was smaller, cheaper and supports 150kW for my 3, spending $600CAD on a CHAdeMO that is huge and only supports 50kW seems to be a waste.

Are Tesla working on a CCS adapter for North America?

I wonder if the following would work?

- You can find a CCS1 to CCS2 Adapter

20181113112050210.jpg

- Then, get a Tesla ($190) CCS2 to Tesla Type 2 plug

1-rRRt9K3.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

No. Or rather, that'd work fine for a EU car. But the final connection there is a Mennekes Type 2 connector like all Teslas in the EU have, not a TLSA-01 like the US market cars have. In theory you could then use a type 2 to type 1 cable and then the Tesla J1772 adapter, but that's just silly, and the car still won't understand.

You'd also need a chargeport that understands when it hears CCS. I'm not sure if any US chargeports do. They changed the ones in the EU in May with new chips to read the PLC communication; no idea if they changed the US ones at the same time or not, but it's fairly certain that nothing earlier will understand it.

Given that the Model 3 now supports the CHAdeMO adapter, is the idea of a CCS adapter dead? I would love to get a CCS adapter that was smaller, cheaper and supports 150kW for my 3, spending $600CAD on a CHAdeMO that is huge and only supports 50kW seems to be a waste.

Are Tesla working on a CCS adapter for North America?

There is no official answer. I'm still expecting to see one in the next year or so, but that's just my guess. Obviously all the hard parts have been addressed in solving it for the EU, so it's just a question of whether Tesla wants to invest the extra money to make it happen.

As others wrote nobody knows, but I think it is likely with the increasing number of CCS chargers (not just Electrify America, but EVGo, Greenlot, Chargepoint and everbody else is putting CCS dispensers on their DC chargers now). It's the DC equivalent to J1772 after all, for which we have an adapter. The only potential stumbling block is that it's not necessarily clear that the US Model 3 could use a passive CCS adapter without a hardware modification.

As others wrote nobody knows, but I think it is likely with the increasing number of CCS chargers (not just Electrify America, but EVGo, Greenlot, Chargepoint and everbody else is putting CCS dispensers on their DC chargers now). It's the DC equivalent to J1772 after all, for which we have an adapter. The only potential stumbling block is that it's not necessarily clear that the US Model 3 could use a passive CCS adapter without a hardware modification.
I think it is pretty clear that the Model 3 was engineered when CCS was well established and Tesla was a member of the industry group responsible for defining it. The fact that the European Model 3 has a native CCS inlet means to me that all Model 3 vehicles should have the electronics in place to use the CCS protocol. It would be grossly incompetent for Tesla to do otherwise. This means that the US Model 3 should only require a passive adapter and the proper firmware to charge from a CCS charging station.

I think it is pretty clear that the Model 3 was engineered when CCS was well established and Tesla was a member of the industry group responsible for defining it. The fact that the European Model 3 has a native CCS inlet means to me that all Model 3 vehicles should have the electronics in place to use the CCS protocol. It would be grossly incompetent for Tesla to do otherwise. This means that the US Model 3 should only require a passive adapter and the proper firmware to charge from a CCS charging station.

EU model 3s came out years after US spec cars started delivery. I don't think there's any reason to believe Tesla has worked out how to address CCS and Supercharging in one car prior to the EU launch.

I hope you are right, but given the time pressure they were under and the fact that the US model was launched over a year earlier than the European one, I think there is a small possibility that this isn't case.

I assume there are several technical issues involved in connecting a Tesla to a NA CCS plug. Does anyone know what these are? I assume it is more than just physical electrical connectivity. Likely there signal handshaking, and other issues.

Two totally different sets of communication protocols. Honestly, the part I thought would be most annoying is they both tie into J1772 and trigger from the same point, but continue differently.

With either a Supercharger or a CCS charger, you plug in, the proximaty pin closes, and then on the pilot pin the charger uses a 5% duty cycle to say "I am DCFC, talk to me digitally."

With a Supercharger, the next step is the car reaching out with a version of CANBus, I think over the pilot pin, but I'm not 100% sure.

With CCS, I know it uses a PLC technique, with homephy coding? presumably on the DC+ wire.

I guess a car that handles either would have to reach out with both and see which one responded, unless the dumb adapter somehow tells the car the adapter is connected to the car.

Is that significantly different than a Normal Startup Sequence for Level 1/2?

Much more involved. I don’t have the legend for that chart, but basically somewhere in the phase marked association and initialization the pilot signal duty cycle tells the car how much current is available.

A 5% duty cycle says this is a DCFC station and all the digital communications start.

For Level 1/2, the only communication is that duty cycle and the car pulling down the voltage when it wants power, at which point the EVSE contacts close and connect mains AC power to the pins in the car - and the car is responsible for not pulling more than the advertised limit from the EVSE.

Good news, the CCS adapter for North American Teslas should start shipping before Xmas

Because:

View attachment 482620

Using Murphy's Law. As my friend suggested, I am taking one for the team.
Good looking out, I would definitely get the CCS adapter just because of the VW build out of Electrify America, the Chademo....eh...?, in reality the SC network is probably all ill ever need but sitting in line for an hour at Atascadero today has me realizing more options are better, I only needed about 40 or 50 miles of range to get to my destination charger but the line was 9 cars deep.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod