Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the subject of why Tesla hasn't released the adapter in North America, I'm starting to wonder if at least a partial reason is that they want to come up with a way to allow for preconditioning the battery when headed to a non-Tesla CCS1 charger.

A simple method would be to add a button to each navigation destination for "Precondition the battery for fast DC charging at this destination". However, even a simple software change like this could take some time to develop and test, and there could be other changes in the queue that have a higher priority than this.

On that note, does anyone here know how this is handled in South Korea?
Do they have something like the above? (Not likely)​
Does Tesla navigation have knowledge of non-Tesla CCS1 chargers there, so it's automatic, like Superchargers?​
Do they just do nothing and end up with longer charging times?​

Edit: I guess the same questions apply to Europe and CCS2 charging, especially since Teslas there come with CCS2 charge ports.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
and the pricing is quite good too at $0.27/minute, 0.30 if you are non-member.
FA5DC747-786C-4297-B275-C5919CAA947F.jpeg

On the subject of why Tesla hasn't released the adapter in North America, I'm starting to wonder if at least a partial reason is that they want to come up with a way to allow for preconditioning the battery when headed to a non-Tesla CCS1 charger.

A simple method would be to add a button to each navigation destination for "Precondition the battery for fast DC charging at this destination". However, even a simple software change like this could take some time to develop and test, and there could be other changes in the queue that have a higher priority than this.

On that note, does anyone here know how this is handled in South Korea?
Do they have something like the above? (Not likely)​
Does Tesla navigation have knowledge of non-Tesla CCS1 chargers there, so it's automatic, like Superchargers?​
Do they just do nothing and end up with longer charging times?​

Edit: I guess the same questions apply to Europe and CCS2 charging, especially since Teslas there come with CCS2 charge ports.
In my case it doesn't "pre-condition". It conditions when you start charging, I think. After reviewing my TeslaFi logs I can see battery heater kicks on as soon as DCFC begins at this CCS location. And I'm getting basically max rates right off the bat since this station is amperage limited at 540 unlike the 670A 250kw supercharger.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I vaugely remember one of Bjorn's videos showing that Tesla will precondition the batteries, even when navigating to a non-tesla CCS charger. I remember a few times, when he was doing one of his tests, he said he specifically had to navigate to the a business that was across the street from the ionity charger he was going to, or something like that, to prevent it from preconditioning.

• Informative
Reactions: MLXXXp
Honestly, I think the reason it hasn't been released in NA yet, is because Tesla is trying to stockpile the adapter as well as the charger ECU assembly, so they could make it so you order it similar to the Homelink, where it includes a mobile service visit. So that way, they can make sure the adapter will work, replacing the charge port ECU if necessary. Otherwise, I think they could have a scenario where customers will just order the adapter, thinking it will "just work" on the car.

I think Tesla is gonna require you to login to be able to order a CCS adapter when they become available in North America and it would tell you if it is compatible with your car based on the VIN in your account.
That's actually a very plausible explanation of why it's setup that way in Korea. Maybe it's not becuase it's one per customer, maybe it's because they want to verify compatibility with your specific vehicle.

In my case it doesn't "pre-condition". It conditions when you start charging, I think. After reviewing my TeslaFi logs I can see battery heater kicks on as soon as DCFC begins at this CCS location. And I'm getting basically max rates right off the bat since this station is amperage limited at 540 unlike the 670A 250kw supercharger.
So are you saying you don’t need to precondition the battery before arriving at a CCS charger to be able to get high speeds like 100, 150 kW for example? Because if I don’t precondition before arriving at a supercharger I’m limited to like 40 kW or so...

So are you saying you don’t need to precondition the battery before arriving at a CCS charger to be able to get high speeds like 100, 150 kW for example? Because if I don’t precondition before arriving at a supercharger I’m limited to like 40 kW or so...
I think it depends on what your definition of "cold" and "high speed" is... In this video the battery temp is 47 degree F, but pulled 122kw... Seems fast, except it quickly ramped down to 100kw... Whereas in the preconditioned battery, it started at 200+kw, and stayed ahead of the cold battery until 60% SoC.

• Informative
I think it depends on what your definition of "cold" and "high speed" is... In this video the battery temp is 47 degree F, but pulled 122kw... Seems fast, except it quickly ramped down to 100kw... Whereas in the preconditioned battery, it started at 200+kw, and stayed ahead of the cold battery until 60% SoC.
I consider anything above 100 kW to be fast charging. Obviously there are a lot of factors that determined speed like state of charge and temperature of the battery. In my experience if you don’t precondition (by navigating to the supercharger) before arriving the speed is very slow and nowhere near 100, 150 or 200 kW. So I’ve been curious how I would obtain high speeds at CCS chargers now if the battery is unable to be preconditioned. Some people said to just navigate to whatever supercharger is closest to the CCS charger in order to get the battery to heat up as much as possible, which is probably what I’ll end up doing.

Someone posted a screenshot in one of the FB Tesla groups of the CCS1 retrofit kit listed in EPC, but I'm not able to see it when I log in

If I understand correctly, it is still there. I personally find the Tesla Online Parts Catalog not the most user-friendly thing.
  1. Tesla Online Parts Catalog
  2. Log in (including annoying Capcha security stuff).
  3. Quick Links-"Application Form for Parts Ordering," "Catalogs," "Find Parts."
  4. Catalogs (for example).
  5. "Tesla Vehicles."
  6. Model 3 (for example). "Continue."
  7. "44 - High Voltage System"
  8. "4401 - Charge System Inlet."
  9. Click on line drawing of "Charge Port."
  10. CP ECU, ASSY, GEN 3, NA (1092755-98-D) I assume is the older North American Model 3 CP ECU? You don't want that, I imagine.
  11. CP ECU, ASSY, GEN 4, NA (1537264-00-B) according to FalconFour is the newer ECU with CCS capability. I believe that is what people have been wanting?
Is that what your are interested in?

If you use "Find Part" that part number is listed for both Models 3 and Y.

The line drawing of the CP ECU (#2) in the Catalog is not particularly helpful, since it is from the side of the printed-circuit-board enclosure. FalaconFour's photo is better.

Model 3 ECU

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, it is still there. I personally find the Tesla Online Parts Catalog not the most user-friendly thing.
  1. Tesla Online Parts Catalog
  2. Log in (including annoying Capcha security stuff).
  3. Quick Links-"Application Form for Parts Ordering," "Catalogs," "Find Parts."
  4. Catalogs (for example).
  5. "Tesla Vehicles."
  6. Model 3 (for example). "Continue."
  7. "44 - High Voltage System"
  8. "4401 - Charge System Inlet."
  9. Click on line drawing of "Charge Port."
  10. CP ECU, ASSY, GEN 3, NA (1092755-98-D) I assume is the older North American Model 3 CP ECU? You don't want that, I imagine.
  11. CP ECU, ASSY, GEN 4, NA (1537264-00-B) according to FalconFour is the newer ECU with CCS capability. I believe that is what people have been wanting?
Is that what your are interested in?

If you use "Find Part" that part number is listed for both Models 3 and Y.

The line drawing in the Catalog is not particularly helpful, since it is from the side of the printed-circuit-board enclosure. FalaconFour's photo is better.

This is what they posted. They found it using the search function and inputting "CCS". Seems to be under 5001 subcategory which doesn't make sense to me, but again I can't find under search or straight direct to category 50. oh well. Though I'd re-share what someone else found, maybe it'll shows up in someone's catalog.

1651372297895.png

1. CP ECU, ASSY, GEN 4, NA (1537264-00-B) according to FalconFour is the newer ECU with CCS capability. I believe that is what people have been wanting?
From what I was reading in another thread, (Edit: apparently it was the same thread you linked, lol) where someone attempted a DIY, they found a few caveats... That part number above, will seem to only work with cars that came with a Gen 4, that did not have the CCS capability. (1537264-80-B). He found that the wiring harness/pinout is different for the Gen 3 Assembly, which came on the older model 3s, such that when he put in a gen 4, he couldn't get it to work, even after having the service center reflash the firmware.. So they think that the above ECU would only work as a drop in replacement if your car is one of the mid 2021 cars that came without CCS support.

Anyways, he also said when you switched between gen 3 and gen 4, when you power it up, it will say that you need an update. And once you update, if you put your old ECU back in, it will complain of incompatible software, and will refuse to engage the high voltage system until you reflash.

• Helpful
This is what they posted. They found it using the search function and inputting "CCS". Seems to be under 5001 subcategory which doesn't make sense to me, but again I can't find under search or straight direct to category 50. oh well. Though I'd re-share what someone else found, maybe it'll shows up in someone's catalog.

View attachment 799306

Oh, OK. Right you are. Sorry. I am not seeing a retrofit kit, either. This makes sense if, speculating, Tesla intended to release the CCS1 adapter itself into North America "soon" (i.e., in 2022) but for whatever reason has decided to delay that release. Several people have offered plausible explanations for a delay. Too bad. But looking on the bright side it probably means that a hardware retrofit kit will be coming (for Models 3 and Y). Just have to wait.

It is less clear concerning Model S and X. Does that "MX CCS ECU" mean that all Models X came with CCS capability? Or that no Model S do? I don't think that is right. But I am seeing no CCS ECU listed for Model S. What is going on?

Last edited:
From what I was reading in another thread, (Edit: apparently it was the same thread you linked, lol) where someone attempted a DIY, they found a few caveats... That part number above, will seem to only work with cars that came with a Gen 4, that did not have the CCS capability. (1537264-80-B). He found that the wiring harness/pinout is different for the Gen 3 Assembly, which came on the older model 3s, such that when he put in a gen 4, he couldn't get it to work, even after having the service center reflash the firmware.. So they think that the above ECU would only work as a drop in replacement if your car is one of the mid 2021 cars that came without CCS support.

Anyways, he also said when you switched between gen 3 and gen 4, when you power it up, it will say that you need an update. And once you update, if you put your old ECU back in, it will complain of incompatible software, and will refuse to engage the high voltage system until you reflash.

Yes, the DIY approach seemed "scary" to me. Fortunately, I do not have to worry about that issue (afaik), having a Model X with CCS enabled (I hope).

But it brings up the issue of what is going on with Models S and X. Did they always have CCS capability? Seems doubtful, at least for Model S. Will there ever be a retrofit kit for Models S and X? Hope so. (They are doing it in Europe.) But the (premature) listing of CCS1 retrofit kits in the Tesla parts catalog (since removed) was only for Models 3 and Y. Ominous.

*****​

Yes, we have multiple CCS1-related threads going on. It can be challenging to negotiate them all.

Reactions: israndy