Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would find it odd if Tesla makes a different electronics for Korean Model 3's, and again for European ones, and again for North America. It would be simpler to use the same circuit board(s) everywhere, and the only physical difference is the charge port socket hardware... The earlier discussion has said that CCS2 and CCS1 signaling were electronically the same. Only the plugs have been changed to confuse the innocent. Worst case then would be a software module enabled.

We know for a fact that the charge port electronics for NA and EU Model 3s are very different, we don't know if they will move all cars with a NA port to new CCS compatible electronics, only Korean ones, or if the necessary electronics are in the adapter. (Of course it is possible that both the NA and EU charge port electronics are CCS compatible, again, we don't know at this point.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Looking at the map, many of those locations are paired CCS and ChaDEMO. (and some don't show) I wonder - is there a way to display solo CCS chargers?

Do you mean don't show it if there is a CHAdeMO? No I don't believe so. The location shows up if it has CCS available. I've seen some where they have CCS, CHAdeMO, J1772, and NEMA 14-50 all at the same location.

Why would you want to remove locations if they have something?

Reactions: kayak1
Looking at the map, many of those locations are paired CCS and ChaDEMO. (and some don't show) I wonder - is there a way to display solo CCS chargers?

You have to stare at the Plugshare map with only CHAdeMO selected while you toggle CCS on and off, and see which ones sites and disappear. :) Most of the CCS-only sites in the U.S. are Harley or Chevy dealerships, usually with 25 kW chargers.

Why would you want to remove locations if they have something?

Maybe for someone who already has a CHAdeMO adapter, to know how useful a CCS adapter would be?

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
You have to stare at the Plugshare map with only CHAdeMO selected while you toggle CCS on and off, and see which ones sites and disappear. :) Most of the CCS-only sites in the U.S. are Harley or Chevy dealerships, usually with 25 kW chargers.

Maybe for someone who already has a CHAdeMO adapter, to know how useful a CCS adapter would be?

We did that. For the most part, any of the Chevy dealers with CCS chargers (25kw) are not accesible after hours and during the day you will be discouraged strongly from using them. They don't even want non dealership costumers using them at our local dealership...and it s broke more than operating.

There are lots of CCS and Chademo though. Hopefully the CCS adapter is closer to 100 KW.

Reactions: israndy

Oh. Well that actually makes a whole lot of sense.

How about a map of CCS locations that are 200kW or more? If Tesla makes a CCS adapter that is capable of doing more than 50kW, then surely that makes it worth considering?

upload_2020-12-18_0-26-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-18_0-26-20.png
    upload_2020-12-18_0-26-20.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
Reactions: Phlier and bpjod
That map looks just like the Supercharger map, now can we do one that is all the CCS that don't have Superchargers nearby or that don't charge lots more than Superchargers?

That's a feature I have had a hard time finding, but my car doesn't currently take CCS anyway. But if I had any other modern EV there MUST be an app that lets them compare pricing at EV stations, like there are for comparing pricing at Gas stations. Otherwise they are just gonna end up at a Blink charger because they don't know any better.

That map looks just like the Supercharger map, now can we do one that is all the CCS that don't have Superchargers nearby or that don't charge lots more than Superchargers?

At that zoom level I suppose it does look that way. Many of the CCS locations are near Tesla Superchargers, yes. But many of them are not. And even 10 miles separation makes a difference.

Several of the ones I'm interested in there are no Superchargers nearby, and some more that are simply more convenient to interstate travel.

The same can be said for CCS and for Superchargers: they're often convenient to the interstate with no other good services nearby, or they're a few miles off the interstate with restaurants and activities nearby.

But I guess the real question is, why wouldn't you want access to twice as many charging locations for your car? Even if they are literally adjacent to the Tesla parking spaces? I've only owned my car four months and have already had several instances of reduced charging rate because the Superchargers were at capacity.

Another thing about the Electrify America locations is that many of them have the 350 kW units (though that’s at roughly twice the voltage) in locations that Tesla only has v2 superchargers. Assuming the Tesla adapter isn’t the limiting factor for current, we might be able to charge faster (and possibly cheaper in some locales) at an EA location (in addition to the benefits listed above that having choices can bring). Does someone know the numbers for the 350 kW units (max current) as well as pack voltage vs SOC for the various Tesla models? Seeing a charge profile comparison would be very interesting IMO.

Another thing about the Electrify America locations is that many of them have the 350 kW units (though that’s at roughly twice the voltage) in locations that Tesla only has v2 superchargers. Assuming the Tesla adapter isn’t the limiting factor for current, we might be able to charge faster (and possibly cheaper in some locales) at an EA location (in addition to the benefits listed above that having choices can bring). Does someone know the numbers for the 350 kW units (max current) as well as pack voltage vs SOC for the various Tesla models? Seeing a charge profile comparison would be very interesting IMO.
350kW chargers like Electrify America and Ionity are limited to 500A. Assuming that Tesla makes an adapter that does not further limit the current, you could expect charging performance like the red line in the chart below that TeslaBjorn got from an Ionity charger. The best blue line in the chart is a CCS SC V3 in Europe charging a car that has done very little Supercharging.

Bjorn SC Curves.jpg

Reactions: thedanl

Teslas are in the "400V" category. So at an EA station, they could charge at 150 kW max - assuming the adapter could support it. The only car on the market right now that supports "800V" is the Taycan. It reportedly can do about 270 kW max, at lowish SoC, with its 93 kWh battery pack. (A nuance on the Taycan is that if you pull up to a "400V"-only CCS charger, it uses an internal DC-DC converter to convert 400V to the 800V battery voltage. By default it is only capable of 50 kW. For an extra $475 you can option a 150kW converter.)

Teslas are in the "400V" category. So at an EA station, they could charge at 150 kW max - assuming the adapter could support it. The only car on the market right now that supports "800V" is the Taycan. It reportedly can do about 270 kW max, at lowish SoC, with its 93 kWh battery pack. (A nuance on the Taycan is that if you pull up to a "400V"-only CCS charger, it uses an internal DC-DC converter to convert 400V to the 800V battery voltage. By default it is only capable of 50 kW. For an extra $475 you can option a 150kW converter.)
You can actually see in my post above that a Model 3 with native CCS can charge at up to 191kW on a 350kW charger.

350kW chargers like Electrify America and Ionity are limited to 500A. Assuming that Tesla makes an adapter that does not further limit the current, you could expect charging performance like the red line in the chart below that TeslaBjorn got from an Ionity charger. The best blue line in the chart is a CCS SC V3 in Europe charging a car that has done very little Supercharging.

View attachment 619349

If the red line is the charging profile, that would be amazing, like instantly having a v2.5 in many more locations!
Even if it started at 150 kW (~300 V pack level at low SOC or so I am guesstimating) and maintained (500A)*(pack V) until charging tapers, that’s still better than a v2 all other things being equal. I often travel on I-40 in NM/TX where there are v2 supercharges collocated with 350kW EA locations, so that would be good for those trips. Of course all of this assumes the adapter itself can handle 500A.

True. But I was referring to EA - not Ionity (which is in Europe).
They are using equipment with essentially the same specs. It's a distinction without a difference.

Now, if you want to say that a NA Model 3 with an adapter is not going to be the same as a EU Model 3 with native CCS, that would be a valid point.

One more valid point is that the 150kW stalls at an EA site may not give the same maximum output as a 350kW stall at the same EA site, even on a "400V" car.

They are using equipment with essentially the same specs. It's a distinction without a difference.

Now, if you want to say that a NA Model 3 with an adapter is not going to be the same as a EU Model 3 with native CCS, that would be a valid point.

One more valid point is that the 150kW stalls at an EA site may not give the same maximum output as a 350kW stall at the same EA site, even on a "400V" car.

Not to be argumentative, but are there reports of non-Taycan cars charging at > 150 kW at EA? If so, EA is doing themselves a disservice by only advertising 150 kW max.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Not to be argumentative, but are there reports of non-Taycan cars charging at > 150 kW at EA? If so, EA is doing themselves a disservice by only advertising 150 kW max.
Lucid has had real charging sessions on the EA network with their pre-production cars. The power is reportedly about 300kW peak. However, I'm sure this is not what you were looking for. The Taycan is the only retail available car that can charge at above 150kW. The e-Tron can charge at 150kW. The Mach-E will also charge at up to 150kW.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

The adapter will likely be limited to 142kW just like the CCS adapter in Europe.

Reactions: thedanl
Lucid has had real charging sessions on the EA network with their pre-production cars. The power is reportedly about 300kW peak. However, I'm sure this is not what you were looking for. The Taycan is the only retail available car that can charge at above 150kW. The e-Tron can charge at 150kW. The Mach-E will also charge at up to 150kW.

Lucid seems to be working on a 900V pack. (2021 Lucid Air Dream Edition Revealed: Range, Pricing, Specs, And More (insideevs.com)) Combined with a 113 kWh pack, a 300 kW charging peak seems feasible.