Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best I have managed was 197kW
OOSM got 216kW on their Model S Plaid at a EA station that was just updated to their new gen chargers:

1664646375193.png

And they started at 23% and didn't precondition...

OOSM got 216kW on their Model S Plaid at a EA station that was just updated to their new gen chargers:

View attachment 858904

And they started at 23% and didn't precondition...

Plaid has higher charging voltage. Assuming EA station is 500A, this means they can reach 233kw on a 540a CCS station. Hope we can see someone does that. Many new EVgo 350kw stations are 540a Delta brand chargers.

Reactions: theothertom
Has anyone tried the official shipped from Tesla North America CCS adapter in the case from Harum (this one: Tesla Model 3/Y SEXY BAG CCS Combo 1 Adapter Case I’m sure it’s a perfect fit but would like some confirmation from someone who’s actually tried before I order.
It should fit since it fit the Korean Tesla CCS adapter which is exactly the same as the Tesla one (I have both). but that case you linked to us out of stock, you can probably do a custom order from Harumio for one but it is $60 instead of $45.

• Informative
Reactions: richteer
How about those small felt bumpers you can get to prevent cabinet and drawers from slamming. The ones I have are about 1/4” Od round by 1/8” thick. Sticky backed. Maybe something like that would work.

I will have to check my adapter to see if the pin is fully depressed as I can unlock the handle and remove it without problem with the adapter locked in the car.
Well on the weekend I did a road trip and ended up using the adapter twice. Both time is would not lock to the handle.
I was able to put my fingers on the locking pin and move it 1/4" to 5/16" further in and that locked the handle in place.

Knowing that I need a good 1/4 or more, I don't think my idea of felt stick on would work as it may impede the closing of the door.
I may try and put something on the pin to extend it, like a rigid plastic piece of tubing.

I'm wondering if there is any difference of the pin length between Korean adapter and the one made for the US market?

Received my CCS adapter this afternoon, so I went up to the only Electrify America station in Charlotte, NC, after work. I wanted to see if I could pull more than 150kW, and Electrify America is the only non-Tesla provider that has options more than 150kW in Charlotte.

Unfortunately, I arrived with a relatively high, 40% state of charge. (I did remember to pre-condition the battery by entering the nearby Tesla Supercharger in my nav before I left home, and it was conditioned enough that the preconditioning was turning off and on.

I still pulled over 140kW for a couple of minutes, and the ramp-down curve seemed to hold higher rates for longer than a supercharger would at high states of charge. It was still charging at 80kW around 70% SOC. Even when charging stopped at 80%, it was pulling over 60kW.

Best part of all, that EA station was currently free to use.

The adapter is kind of clunky, because the CCS handle is clunky.

If you're interested in my stream-of-conscience commentary, here it is on YouTube.

Has anyone tried the official shipped from Tesla North America CCS adapter in the case from Harum (this one: Tesla Model 3/Y SEXY BAG CCS Combo 1 Adapter Case I’m sure it’s a perfect fit but would like some confirmation from someone who’s actually tried before I order.
I have the OEM adapter ordered via SK and the Harumio case fits SSC adapter perfectly. Seems like the spot for the J1772 is bigger than it needs to be but it still fits.
5D1D624E-5180-4EB5-AD32-C2EA79E90850.jpeg
D5912482-B3D8-4534-8ABF-CE1A349F2BAA.jpeg

Reactions: DrGriz
Well on the weekend I did a road trip and ended up using the adapter twice. Both time is would not lock to the handle.
I was able to put my fingers on the locking pin and move it 1/4" to 5/16" further in and that locked the handle in place.

Knowing that I need a good 1/4 or more, I don't think my idea of felt stick on would work as it may impede the closing of the door.
I may try and put something on the pin to extend it, like a rigid plastic piece of tubing.

I'm wondering if there is any difference of the pin length between Korean adapter and the one made for the US market?
I have the issue fixed for me.
I added a small length of polyethylene tubing to the locking pin.
I used 1/4" OD x .17" ID and it fit very snug.

The CCS handle locked on and I was not able to push in the handle release button with the adapter plugged into the car.

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

Out of Spec released a video where they show a Model S Plaid getting 257kW when using the CCS adapter. (Up to 590A.)

That’s Amazing. Hope we can figure out the pattern so we know where to charge at this speed. Most examples I saw on Signet was capped at 500A.

Also looks like Kyle is going to fulfill my curiosity by charging his plaid on 540A EVgo Delta chargers. But it is no longer exciting now since we know it can deal with at least 590A

Reactions: Dave EV