Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wonder how CCS drivers feel when the Tesla SC (8+ stalls) has open spots but the EA charger (with typically only 2 or 4 stalls) is packed and Tesla's charging there "because it's a few cents cheaper" ... just sayin'
What’s the issue? Both EA and Tesla SCs are public chargers. Just because you own a Tesla, you shouldn’t feel obligated to use their SCs only. Especially when one costs significantly more than the other. The SC costs are getting out of hand in CA. Competition is the only way to bring costs down.

wonder how CCS drivers feel when the Tesla SC (8+ stalls) has open spots but the EA charger (with typically only 2 or 4 stalls) is packed and Tesla's charging there "because it's a few cents cheaper" ... just sayin'

Do people shopping at Costco resent me because I also shop there instead of buying every last morsel at Whole Foods?

Probably somebody does, but only because there are so many people in the world that you'll find a nut for every occasion. People who actually have a problem with the concept of customers choosing based on price are beyond my help, or even my concern.

Do people shopping at Costco resent me because I also shop there instead of buying every last morsel at Whole Foods?

Probably somebody does, but only because there are so many people in the world that you'll find a nut for every occasion. People who actually have a problem with the concept of customers choosing based on price are beyond my help, or even my concern.
The prevalence of this might be a lot higher, but in normal circumstances most people can't tell just by looking at you (unlike in this case). The equivalent would be if Costco only allows 2-4 customers in the store, and you have a huge sign on you saying you are have membership at a store next door that has a much higher 8 customer limit. People waiting in line will definitely not like that.

I believe a similar point was brought up previously on the CHAdeMO adapter, which matters are even worse (as typically there is only one stall that has CHAdeMO). People can easily tell you are driving a Tesla and know about superchargers and that you have more charging options than they do.

• Informative
Reactions: jiehan and Exelion
Competition is the only way to bring costs down
This is only true in a mature, commodity market. In a growing market such as EVs are now, economy of scale is actually the best way to bring costs down and the best way to do this is to invest heavily in achieving it. Tesla is clearly doing a great job at obtaining the investment, both through equity investors, loans, and incoming cash flow. Car prices with good margins and not losing money on Supercharging are good ways to get more cash flow so that they can finish the Berlin and Austin Gigafactories and maybe build even more to achieve great economy of scale.
The question we don't know is: at what point will Tesla quit plowing profits back into achieving better economy of scale to be able to offer cheaper cars and charging? Then, will they lower prices to make them more accessible or will greedy @#$%^& s take over and start pocketting the profits (competition is the only way these folks will lower prices). Their past history, over the last 16 years in which I've been a customer, with Musk at the helm, would suggest the latter although Wall Street is already clamoring for the former.
Its certainly too early for anybody to know though.

Reactions: DrGriz
Received my CCS adapter this afternoon, so I went up to the only Electrify America station in Charlotte, NC, after work. I wanted to see if I could pull more than 150kW, and Electrify America is the only non-Tesla provider that has options more than 150kW in Charlotte.

Unfortunately, I arrived with a relatively high, 40% state of charge. (I did remember to pre-condition the battery by entering the nearby Tesla Supercharger in my nav before I left home, and it was conditioned enough that the preconditioning was turning off and on.

I still pulled over 140kW for a couple of minutes, and the ramp-down curve seemed to hold higher rates for longer than a supercharger would at high states of charge. It was still charging at 80kW around 70% SOC. Even when charging stopped at 80%, it was pulling over 60kW.

Best part of all, that EA station was currently free to use.

The adapter is kind of clunky, because the CCS handle is clunky.

If you're interested in my stream-of-conscience commentary, here it is on YouTube.

Great video. I received my adapter this morning and just returned from an Electrify America station less than a quarter mile away. I had previously used them for Level 2 charging.
I cannot charge at home and am dependent on Level 2 stations or a Supercharger 5 miles away. At California electricity rates.
I plugged in and the charging began. I had not even opened the app! And it was free. And fast!
Too easy.

Reactions: vanjwilson
I’m looking forward to learning what you find out. My guess is a partly broken (AKA broken) “locking tang” — the black plastic piece with a nub on the end that clicks onto the car inlet (or adapter) when you fully insert the CCS plug. It’s a failure prone design.
I didn't have time to play with it much or take pictures, and their was a Bolt waiting to charge, but it appears to be a combination of the CCS handle design and the locking pin length. With the adapter locked to the car I could press the button and release the CCS handle. The locking tang didn't look broken to me. With the adapter out of the car if I held the locking pin all the way in then I couldn't press the button on the CCS handle enough to release it.

So the locking pin might not be long enough and/or the locking tang on the CCS handle is designed such that it requires a longer locking pin. Hopefully next time I won't be in a rush to get to the next meeting and I can investigate further. (I wouldn't think that a the end of the locking tang would break off as it seems like it would be protected by the rest of the connector from most damage.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
I didn't have time to play with it much or take pictures, but it appears to be a combination of the CCS handle design and the locking pin length. With the adapter locked to the car I could press the button and release the CCS handle. The locking tang didn't look broken to me. With the adapter out of the car if I held the locking pin all the way in then I couldn't press the button on the CCS handle enough to release it.

So the locking pin might not be long enough and/or the locking tang on the CCS handle is designed such that it requires a longer locking pin. Hopefully next time I won't be in a rush to get to the next meeting and I can investigate further. (I wouldn't think that a the end of the locking tang would break off as it seems like it would be protected by the rest of the connector from most damage.)
It could be the weight of the cable is making it sag downwards, which disengages the pin. Bolts have had issues with machines not allowing the session to start because of this reason:
Heavy CCS connector solution (EA stations)

It could also be wear and natural tolerances in the cable/adapter interface.

It could be the weight of the cable is making it sag downwards, which disengages the pin. Bolts have had issues with machines not allowing the session to start because of this reason:
Heavy CCS connector solution (EA stations)

It could also be wear and natural tolerances in the cable/adapter interface.
It started and charged just fine, so I don't think it is the weight/sagging that is a problem.

It started and charged just fine, so I don't think it is the weight/sagging that is a problem.
If you read the thread, they already updated the station to ignore whether the lock is fully engaged and allow charging as long as the tab is in the down position, so stations now may no longer check for this (doesn't mean however, it's not the same physical issue). Also, Tesla doesn't have a vehicle side way to check the lock tap engagement, so there won't be checks on the vehicle side either.

Does the locking pin have a plastic or rubber tip? It looks like it gouges / marks up the plastic of the charging port face in all the videos and pics I've seen.
It has a plastic tip. Maybe I'll stick a little rubber dot/foot on it.

@Jeff N When the adapter is fully seated on the car the locking pin isn't fully pushed in. Here is a picture trying to show the about 1/8" further it can be depressed:

1664557466751.png
1664557504966.png

That 1/8" seems to be make or break in actually locking the EA handles I have used.

So maybe something like this will work:

CCS_pin_protector.jpg

It does need some sort of adhesive to make sure it stays attached. Nothing like superglue since it may need to be removed at some point in time but something tacky enough. If the "cat's tongue" version isn't to your liking, maybe a soft dome or soft rim?

Reactions: aerodyne
I never show up at an EA station on low enough of a charge to get more, I always fear it will be out of order, so I have enough range onboard to make it to the next Supercharger. Hopefully I can go that extra 5 kWs some day...

I think all EA stations max out at 500A. I only see EVgo use these 540A delta chargers. I’m actually looking forward to someone charging a refresh S or X on these Delta chargers. Due to the higher voltage, it could set the charging speed record of the CCS adaptor. So far I haven’t seen it yet.

Reactions: israndy
It has a plastic tip. Maybe I'll stick a little rubber dot/foot on it.

@Jeff N When the adapter is fully seated on the car the locking pin isn't fully pushed in. Here is a picture trying to show the about 1/8" further it can be depressed:

View attachment 858525View attachment 858526

That 1/8" seems to be make or break in actually locking the EA handles I have used.
Are you sure your adapter is fully inserted? Could you have a foreign object in your charge port or in the CCS adapter?

Are you sure your adapter is fully inserted? Could you have a foreign object in your charge port or in the CCS adapter?

Yes. No.

If I couldn't fully insert it it wouldn't be able to lock the adapter and I wouldn't be able to charge.

It could be that they have extra travel available because body shapes are different. (Like maybe a legacy Model S would depress it fully.)

It may be easier to put some kind of bumper on the car, where the pin contacts the charge port. If the bumper were the correct thickness, it would cause the pin to extend farther and as a bonus also protect the port from getting scratched by the pin.

I going to look into using a small round rubber pad for this.
Would the charge port door still close? Not sure how much clearance there is between the back side of the door and the charge port face. Seems easier to affix something to the end of the pin.

It may be easier to put some kind of bumper on the car, where the pin contacts the charge port. If the bumper were the correct thickness, it would cause the pin to extend farther and as a bonus also protect the port from getting scratched by the pin.

I going to look into using a small round rubber pad for this.
How about those small felt bumpers you can get to prevent cabinet and drawers from slamming. The ones I have are about 1/4” Od round by 1/8” thick. Sticky backed. Maybe something like that would work.

I will have to check my adapter to see if the pin is fully depressed as I can unlock the handle and remove it without problem with the adapter locked in the car.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike