Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see no indication of Tesla abandoning its plug. This year Tesla will make over 2 million cars per estimates.

And the Infrastructure law does not mention any charging plug or standard. Simple says install chargers.
And roughly half of those cars will have CCS 2 or GB/T, and the people who receive those cars will be happy to have a nice standard port that works at most stations....

(I am only replying to point out that the 2 million cars number does not mean 2 million Tesla USA style connectors.)

I see no indication of Tesla abandoning its plug. This year Tesla will make over 2 million cars per estimates.

And the Infrastructure law does not mention any charging plug or standard. Simple says install chargers.
``(s) Electric Vehicle Charging Stations.--
``(1) Standards.--Electric vehicle charging infrastructure
installed using funds provided under this title shall provide,
at a minimum--
``(A) non-proprietary charging connectors that meet
applicable industry safety standards; and
``(B) open access to payment methods that are
available to all members of the public to ensure secure,
convenient, and equal access to the electric vehicle
charging infrastructure that shall not be limited by
membership to a particular payment provider.
[[Page 135 STAT. 509]]

As I understand it, this basically means any charging infrastructure funded under the act has to have (basically) CCS1 as a minimum. If Tesla pushed their entire plug and protocol out into the non-proprietary domain so that anyone could build the systems, they could maybe manage to also get it required to build Tesla plugs, but at a minimum, this means that the difference in install counts between CCS1 and Tesla should drop, and if Tesla has to install CCS1 support at any stations they get money for from the law (or if all the money goes to people not installing Tesla chargers) then that difference could drop quickly.

(s) Electric Vehicle Charging Stations.--

(1) Standards.--Electric vehicle charging infrastructure installed using funds provided under this title shall provide, at a minimum--

(A) non-proprietary charging connectors that meet applicable industry safety standards; and

(B) open access to payment methods that are available to all members of the public to ensure secure, convenient, and equal access to the electric vehicle charging infrastructure that shall not be limited by membership to a particular payment provider.

(2) Treatment of projects.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a project to install electric vehicle charging infrastructure using funds provided under this title shall be treated as if the project is located on a Federal-aid highway.''.

You need to look forward, not backward.

All roads lead to CCS.

Automakers who formerly used CHAdeMO is ditching it for CCS.

There is $7.5 billion in government's subsidies to build EV charging infastructure and that requires CCS.

Tesla is opening Supercharger to non-Tesla vehicles which overwhelmingly use CCS.

Going foward, everyone would want CCS for their vehicles.

Not having CCS in their vehicles would disadvantage.

People will rush to have their older Tesla vehicles retrofitted to support the CCS adapter so that their vehicles will not be stuck with legacy status.

Tesla probably needs to accumulate enough ECUs to accommodate the people rushing in, which is probably why the official adapter hasn't been released yet.

This leaves a big window for someone to come in and sell a third party adapter in the meanwhile.
The Tesla connector is just so much better designed then CCS… I would much rather have had that be the standard. Not sure why we should be forced to embrace something worse.

All we need is an adapter and we’re fine. If legacy cars want to use the superchargers they should buy an adapter and if Tesla wants to dig into subsidies they could just add a secondary cable to new builds.

The Tesla connector is just so much better designed then CCS… I would much rather have had that be the standard. Not sure why we should be forced to embrace something worse.

All we need is an adapter and we’re fine. If legacy cars want to use the superchargers they should buy an adapter and if Tesla wants to dig into subsidies they could just add a secondary cable to new builds.
That or add extra CCS stalls as they have done in some other stations already.

He's talking about giving official adapters to all CCS charging providers for free (one per station) and paying for it by charging rent to those that didn't buy one, not talking about doing that only for third party adapters.
It's a passive device, how would they know if you are using your own, purchased from a 3rd party or borrowed from a friend?
I don't see a way that Tesla will be able to charge you rent (unless they ship the adapter to you with a MRC) to charge at a 3rd party CCS charger.

To install a 150KW CSS charger I am seeing cost estimates from between $75,000 and $150,000 per charging port.
If they wanted to tether a $200 CCS to Tesla adapter to the device that great, but I don't see that they would want to add another $1.00 per charge to the session (unless they end up with the $1).. It may discourage people from using the charger and the cost is a rounding error in terms of the total install.

To be a standard, there has to be a regulatory body that maintains the standard.

CCS has CharIN.

CHAdeMO has the CHAdeMO Association.

The Tesla connector is entirely controlled by Tesla and there is no regulatory body that maintains it.

It's a passive device, how would they know if you are using your own, purchased from a 3rd party or borrowed from a friend?
I don't see a way that Tesla will be able to charge you rent (unless they ship the adapter to you with a MRC) to charge at a 3rd party CCS charger.
I think the idea was just to waive the rent fee if your history has a CCS adapter order in it. If you bought a third party adapter then you are SOL on that front, same if you borrowed one.
To install a 150KW CSS charger I am seeing cost estimates from between $75,000 and $150,000 per charging port.
If they wanted to tether a $200 CCS to Tesla adapter to the device that great, but I don't see that they would want to add another $1.00 per charge to the session (unless they end up with the $1).. It may discourage people from using the charger and the cost is a rounding error in terms of the total install.
If it was done on the charger side, there can be a lock box that the rental fee would unlock to give access to adapter, but that would require too much coordination between Tesla and the charging network, so I don't think that will happen. Those that bring their own would be unaffected.

Most likely what would happen is more like the CHAdeMO situation, where charge networks interested to expanding their scope to Teslas, would buy their own adapter to put in the stations.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradtem

This take is so exhausting. The Tesla connector is thermally limited at the contacts because it is too small for liquid cooling to reach the edge, unlike CCS, which can actively cool to the edge and safely handle higher amperage’s without throttling. Tesla is shoving more amps through, but with less margin for error and safety.

It isn’t better designed, it has different trade offs, and as higher power is supported, it becomes more constrained by its limited shape and size.

But more to the point, who cares the shape of a plug? I want a standard. I don’t give the slight difference a second thought in daily use.

Tesla switched to CCS in Europe and released an adapter for Tesla vehicles with legacy connector.

It wasn't the end of the world.

When Tesla switched to CCS in North America, it wouldn't be the end of the world either.
They switched with the Model 3 in Europe, and it made perfect sense (in the old threads before the charge port standard was known for Model 3, I was one of the people that thought Tesla would switch to CCS throughout). Do note however, Tesla used a Type 2 connector in Europe, it was never a fully proprietary connector as in the US, so a switch in physical terms only meant adding two pins on the connector and a new ECU, it wouldn't have affected any of the existing AC accessories.

It's telling however that they didn't switch in the US at the same time, also neglected to do so with Model Y launch, as well as Plaid launches. Not sure if Tesla has any desire to switch at this point (I guess we'll see with Cybertruck next).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
I'll say the quiet part out loud.

The reason so many users are set against Tesla switching to CCS is psychological.

It's has nothing with the connector itself.

They think that Tesla switching to CCS is opening the floodgate to non-Tesla users using the Supercharger.

The reason they keep insisting that non-Tesla users buy adapters to use the Supercharger is that it adds another barrier, which makes non-Tesla users less likely to use the Supercharger.

The reason why Tesla hasn't switched to CCS; the reason why the CHAdeMO adapter was almost always out-of-stock; the reason why Tesla hasn't bothered with the CCS adapter until now: it's all the same.

Tesla wants them locked in its walled garden. Tesla only want them to charge at the Supercharger and nowhere else.

They are so set against non-Tesla users that they willingly locked themselves in Tesla's walled garden.

Last edited:
This take is so exhausting. The Tesla connector is thermally limited at the contacts because it is too small for liquid cooling to reach the edge, unlike CCS, which can actively cool to the edge and safely handle higher amperage’s without throttling. Tesla is shoving more amps through, but with less margin for error and safety.

It isn’t better designed, it has different trade offs, and as higher power is supported, it becomes more constrained by its limited shape and size.

But more to the point, who cares the shape of a plug? I want a standard. I don’t give the slight difference a second thought in daily use.
The biggest complaint for CCS, and CCS1 specifically, isn't actually the pin design. It's the whole bulkiness of the connector and the top latch system, which is prone to wear and failure. On AC side, J1772 is similar. Type 2 and CCS2 used in Europe does not get the same complaints and is much more similar to Tesla's Proprietary Connector (TPC) used in the US.

You can see a deep dive in the some of the latch system issues, and in a Bolt EV no less. Quite ironic given GM has the most influence in SAE and the whole CCS1 design, so you would think they would have the best example out there.
Chevrolet Bolt EV and Spark EV Charging Port Issues and Corrections | Torque News

With TPC, the user experience is very similar between home charging and superchargers, with a relatively light and slim connector that you just plug in (and don't have to fiddle with the latch to get it to work).

As for current carrying capacity, I don't think the connector is the limit, it's the batteries. Tesla is working to push 300 kW while still on 400V (while regularly doing 250kW with the liquid cooled cables in V3). Perhaps they will add connector cooling that rumormill found patents for, to squeeze out more amps.
WO2019180622 LIQUID-COOLED CHARGING CONNECTOR
CCS has switched to 800V to get to the 350kW nameplate speeds (real world more like 250kW), and I don't believe it can top 150kW on ~400V systems. So I'm not quite seeing there being any real world advantage to CCS in terms of current carrying.

I'll say the quiet part out loud.

The reason so many users are set against Tesla switching to CCS is psychological.

It's has nothing with the connector itself.

They think that Tesla switching to CCS is opening the floodgate to non-Tesla users using the Supercharger.

The reason they keep insisting that non-Tesla users buy adapters to use the Supercharger is that it adds another barrier, which makes non-Tesla users less likely to use the Supercharger.
Not true at all from observing other cases in other countries when switching away from TPC. I posted a thread on this about the switch in Taiwan. There was zero concern raised at all about other manufacture's cars possibly using Tesla stations. This is because Tesla's access control at superchargers has nothing to do with the connector. You can see this in spades in Europe, where Tesla uses CCS2, but other manufacturers can't charge at superchargers regardless (unless it's stations under some government program where it's part of the terms).

Tesla will switch to CCS2 (from proprietary connector) in Taiwan starting Q3 2021
Instead, the concerns were all about if existing TPC owners would still be able to charge at newer supercharger stations and if even existing stations would phase out TPC.
The reason why Tesla hasn't switched to CCS; the reason why the CHAdeMO adapter was almost always out-of-stock; the reason why Tesla hasn't bothered with the CCS adapter until now: it's all the same.

Tesla wants them locked in its walled garden. Tesla only want them to charge at the Supercharger and nowhere else.

They are so set against non-Tesla users that they willingly locked themselves in Tesla's walled garden.
Does Tesla really? Tesla offers the widest selection of charge adapters, bar none. Not only do they have a huge selection of AC charging adapters for Nema sockets, they remain the sole manufacturer cross compatible between CCS and CHAdeMO. If you own a car with either of those standards, you are SOL if you want to charge on a charger that uses a different one (discussed in depth above, especially as it relates to CHAdeMO, which is reaching a dead end).
If Tesla wanted people to remain in the walled garden, they had zero reason to develop a CHAdeMO adapter in the first place, nor a CCS adapter.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
Does Tesla really? Tesla offers the widest selection of charge adapters, bar none. Not only do they have a huge selection of AC charging adapters for Nema sockets, they remain the sole manufacturer cross compatible between CCS and CHAdeMO. If you own a car with either of those standards, you are SOL if you want to charge on a charger that uses a different one (discussed in depth above, especially as it relates to CHAdeMO, which is reaching a dead end).
CHAdeMO adapter was out-of-stock 99.99% of the time and limited to 50 kW.

CCS adapter isn't even available.

If Tesla wanted people to remain in the walled garden, they had zero reason to develop a CHAdeMO adapter in the first place, nor a CCS adapter.
plausible deniability

The CHAdeMO adapter wasn't created until Tesla wanted to enter the Japan market. You can't sell an EV in Japan without CHAdeMO support. North America only got CHAdeMO support because the Japanese Tesla cars use the same charge port.

They switched with the Model 3 in Europe, and it made perfect sense (in the old threads before the charge port standard was known for Model 3, I was one of the people that thought Tesla would switch to CCS throughout). Do note however, Tesla used a Type 2 connector in Europe, it was never a fully proprietary connector as in the US, so a switch in physical terms only meant adding two pins on the connector and a new ECU, it wouldn't have affected any of the existing AC accessories.

It's telling however that they didn't switch in the US at the same time, also neglected to do so with Model Y launch, as well as Plaid launches. Not sure if Tesla has any desire to switch at this point (I guess we'll see with Cybertruck next).
CCS1 sucks and nobody should be using it. The entire thing looks and feels like a horrible kludge. Actually that's true of CCS2 to a big extent too, but at least CCS2 has a good excuse for keeping the AC pins and the DC pins separate: it supports 3 phase charging, and 3 phase charging requires, well, 3 pins for 3 phases (plus a neutral). Tesla's OBCs apparently support 3 phase charging on cars that have CCS2 connectors on them. CCS1 on the other hand keeps the 2 AC pins in the upper section and the 2 DC pins in the lower section for no good reason. Those two sets of pins just take up extra space because they are never, ever used at the same time.

If Tesla is going to switch over to CCS, then it should be to CCS2, not CCS1, which has zero advantages over the Tesla connector. CCS1 and J1772 both need to just die and be replaced by CCS2 and J3068.

I think the idea was just to waive the rent fee if your history has a CCS adapter order in it. If you bought a third party adapter then you are SOL on that front, same if you borrowed one.

If it was done on the charger side, there can be a lock box that the rental fee would unlock to give access to adapter, but that would require too much coordination between Tesla and the charging network, so I don't think that will happen. Those that bring their own would be unaffected.

Most likely what would happen is more like the CHAdeMO situation, where charge networks interested to expanding their scope to Teslas, would buy their own adapter to put in the stations.
Right. First of all, if Tesla put adapters at every CCS station, there would be very little desire to pay for one for yourself. If you bought one, Tesla could even offer to buy it back from you to put at some station, since they will earn that cost back in rental fees. However, you could elect to buy one and if you did, no need for rental fees for you. (You could in fact buy a "virtual" one, but the physical one could work at the inevitable CCS stations that refuse to provide the adapter or are too new.) It would be hard to loan the adapter, though a simple trick would be to put an RFID in the adapter. Tap it on your door pillar and no rental fee for you. Or is there a reader in the charge port? Tap it there.

Anyway, rentals or not, there's a few thousands of CCS stations and a million Teslas, so putting them at stations is vastly more economical. And makes every Tesla better. It's a no-brainer. EVGo and some others started putting CdM adapters at stations. Shortsighted of Tesla to not just give them. Looking at plugshare, I find that many CdM stations have more Teslas with adapters checking in than native CdM cars.

The big problem is people like me with older (or newer) cars with no CCS controller. We'll have to probably pay some change to get that, whether they put adapters at the stations, or we get them ourselves.

CCS1 sucks and nobody should be using it. The entire thing looks and feels like a horrible kludge. Actually that's true of CCS2 to a big extent too, but at least CCS2 has a good excuse for keeping the AC pins and the DC pins separate: it supports 3 phase charging, and 3 phase charging requires, well, 3 pins for 3 phases (plus a neutral). Tesla's OBCs apparently support 3 phase charging on cars that have CCS2 connectors on them. CCS1 on the other hand keeps the 2 AC pins in the upper section and the 2 DC pins in the lower section for no good reason. Those two sets of pins just take up extra space because they are never, ever used at the same time.

If Tesla is going to switch over to CCS, then it should be to CCS2, not CCS1, which has zero advantages over the Tesla connector. CCS1 and J1772 both need to just die and be replaced by CCS2 and J3068.
While I do agree CCS2 and Type 2 being superior, I don't quite agree it would make sense to switch in the US. There is too much infrastructure already using CCS1 and J1772, and the major addition of three phase support has limited use in the US. Most likely what will happen is the latch system gets redesigned a bit (while still being within the standard) to try to address some of the issues. I remember CHAdeMO having similar issues, with the initial handle/latch designs being quite clunky and then later designs improved.