Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like package-forwarding service is the way to go?
I attempted with Korgou – All for your Korean shopping but my CC company and the bank each had fraud alerts and rejected the payment.

I also had issues figuring out what should go in the 3 boxes Address 1, Address 2 and City as Tesla didn't seem to ever validate the address.
2F, 79, Sunhwan-ro, Jungwon-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do, Republic of Korea

Issue #1 is easy enough to fix but due to the address issue, it gave me enough pause to think I was on the wrong track.
Ha, ha. Yes. Tesla will probably "catch on" and may stop orders from North American Tesla owners, possibly. Get your CCS1 adapters while you can! (Just kidding. I am not encouraging anyone to take the risk.)

However, I would probably order one for myself, because I like "breaking the rules," but I am pretty sure (from looking at photos) that the South Korea CCS1 adapter is PHYSICALLY INCOMPATIBLE with the Models S & X charge port. I would love to hear confirmation from anyone in North America (or from South Korea, for that matter) as to whether this is actually true. But it looks to me like the open charge-port cover-door would interfere with the adapter and that the adapter's locking pin might rub the car's paint near the port. I suspect that a different adapter design is going to be necessary for the Models S & X, unfortunately.

Take a look at the photos. The Models 3 and Y port area has a relatively large expanse of black plastic around the port itself. Not so on the Models S and X. The Models 3 and Y cover-door opens up out of the way. But the open door is right next to and in the way on the Models S and X.

If you want to bring one into the country I could be your backup plan. If it works for you keep it. If it doesn't work I would be glad to pay you for the adapter, your shipping, and shipping it to me.

Man, the charge ports on the S/X are so pretty. Kinda sad looking at my 3's port now.

But Models 3 and Y can, I guess, have the CCS1 adapter right now! That makes their ports prettier, to my way of thinking. :)

Actually, I see nothing wrong with the Models 3/Y ports (they don't have the [garish] encircling light, true, but they have the small, tasteful lighted "T."). Nice and big area with a door that politely gets out of the way--will fit (South Korean) CCS1 adapter, for example, with plenty of room for two side-by-side ports (in China) or big CCS port (in Europe).

China Model 3 Dual Port - 1.jpg Europe Model 3 CCS Combo 2 Port.jpg

I wonder if Tesla designers were thinking about these things when they developed the new Model 3? Probably. What will charging ports on the CyberTruck look like?

...If you want to bring one into the country I could be your backup plan...

Thanks, I'll pass. I have a nice CHAdeMO adapter now (in the unlikely event that I couldn't reach a Supercharger), and I can afford to wait (im)patiently for the eventual release of a CCS1 adapter that will work with Model X (and S).

Sorry you are having issues using a package service in South Korea. It sounds like some people (posts above) had success. Could you pay by PayPal, rather than using a credit card?

I am pretty sure (from looking at photos) that the South Korea CCS1 adapter is PHYSICALLY INCOMPATIBLE with the Models S & X charge port. I
🤔🤔 Not quite so sure on that, myself. The fit on the 3 is really, really far out... like, "why the heck is it sticking out that much" is my first impression. Maybe that sticking-out-edness is a factor of being compatible with the old S/X ports.

I played the Tesla Korea CCS1 adapter in curiosity when I had hands-on it a while back. The locking pin is quite low-spring-force. It's just there to return the pin to idle position when it's not plugged into the car. It doesn't perform any locking itself, nor is it driving any mechanism. So, it doesn't grind against anything. If it does touch paint, I'd maybe think to put a tiny piece of PPF there. Maybe they'll felt-tip the thing later, but it's really a light touch anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and tps5352
🤔🤔 Not quite so sure on that, myself. The fit on the 3 is really, really far out... like, "why the heck is it sticking out that much" is my first impression. Maybe that sticking-out-edness is a factor of being compatible with the old S/X ports.

I played the Tesla Korea CCS1 adapter in curiosity when I had hands-on it a while back. The locking pin is quite low-spring-force. It's just there to return the pin to idle position when it's not plugged into the car. It doesn't perform any locking itself, nor is it driving any mechanism. So, it doesn't grind against anything. If it does touch paint, I'd maybe think to put a tiny piece of PPF there. Maybe they'll felt-tip the thing later, but it's really a light touch anyway.

Interesting. That would be great if it fits the S/X. But it sure seems like the little S/X door will interfere, 'cause it is right next to the port and when open it stays at a 90° angle to the side of the car (unlike the 3/Y door which opens out of the way).

As to the low-spring-force pin, perhaps you are right. Surely someone who already has the Korean adapter can tell us?

I need to search for the previous reports (on TMC [like this Thread, come to think of it], YouTube) from North American owners (who have the SK adapter) and send them messages to carefully check and see if the adapter will fit an S or X.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
Thanks, I'll pass. I have a nice CHAdeMO adapter now (in the unlikely event that I couldn't reach a Supercharger), and I can afford to wait (im)patiently for the eventual release of a CCS1 adapter that will work with Model X (and S).

Sorry you are having issues using a package service in South Korea. It sounds like some people (posts above) had success. Could you pay by PayPal, rather than using a credit card?

I haven't worked that hard at it as I also have the ChadeMO adapter. Tesla will not accept PayPal. I suspect that they would take dodge coin before PayPal or Vimo etc.

J1772/CCS1 differs from J3068/CCS2 in a subtle but crucial way: the locking mechanism on J1772/CCS1 is actuated by a button on the handle and lifts a small latch that goes over little bump on the car's port and then slides into a notch behind the bump. If the vehicle wishes to lock the handle to the car, something descends from the top of the port and presses against the latch to prevent it from being lifted (or alternately, a hole can be provided just above the button if it's a private EVSE and the user can put a padlock through the hole, which also prevents the button from being pressed and hence the latch from being lifted). However, on the TPC and J3068/CCS2 design, the charging handle has zero moving parts, and has a notch on top. When inserted into the charge port, something descends from above the charge port and inserts itself into the notch, which prevents the handle from being removed.
Well, I barely ever charge at public EVSEs, but look at what I found last night:

Broken J1772.jpg

It wasn't just one connector, it was both connectors on the EVSE. And both connectors on the EVSE next to it. And both connectors on the EVSE next to that. Didn't go down the line checking every connector but at least 6 of them had been broken.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and jsight
So Tesla Korea cancelled my order for the CCS1 adapter - I suspect they took a closer look at my Tesla account and realized I was from the states. Tried to reorder with the same card I successfully used for the first order and it would not go through. Guess I will be patiently awaiting Tesla to oficially release the US version.
Was the shipping address you gave them in South Korea, or in the US?

Wow, I guess that avenue is now closed. I wonder if it was due to the VIN being for a vehicle they sold in the US or the fact that you used a US credit card to pay or both.
Do you even need a Tesla (and VIN) to order the adapter? I ordered a Gen 2 UMC from Tesla before I had a Tesla (just created an account an ordered). I guess there could be some additional restrictions on the sale of this particular adapter. Now I'm wondering if my mil friend that actually lives in Korea could even order it on my behalf (since he wouldn't have a Korean Tesla VIN) even though he could have a legit Korean address for it to be shipped to.

Well, I barely ever charge at public EVSEs, but look at what I found last night:

View attachment 773269

It wasn't just one connector, it was both connectors on the EVSE. And both connectors on the EVSE next to it. And both connectors on the EVSE next to that. Didn't go down the line checking every connector but at least 6 of them had been broken.
I see this fairly regularly. If it is charge point, they don't always have maintenance plans in place to fix them either. Sometimes it is up to the host.

Do you even need a Tesla (and VIN) to order the adapter? I ordered a Gen 2 UMC from Tesla before I had a Tesla (just created an account an ordered). I guess there could be some additional restrictions on the sale of this particular adapter. Now I'm wondering if my mil friend that actually lives in Korea could even order it on my behalf (since he wouldn't have a Korean Tesla VIN) even though he could have a legit Korean address for it to be shipped to.
I did a little experiment and created a dummy Tesla account on the Korean site with no VIN assigned and Tesla will not let you order a CCS1 adapter (you can't even add it to your cart). It looks like Tesla is making a very conscious effort to restrict these adapters to only Korean Tesla owners.

I did a little experiment and created a dummy Tesla account on the Korean site with no VIN assigned and Tesla will not let you order a CCS1 adapter (you can't even add it to your cart). It looks like Tesla is making a very conscious effort to restrict these adapters to only Korean Tesla owners.

I guess the good news it at they still appear to be in stock. Maybe that bodes well for us getting them in Q2.

Reactions: theothertom
Registered an account just so I can post my (failed) experiences to order a CCS adapter from the Tesla KR site with package forwarders in KR.

I used US-issued Amex cards and it doesn't seem Amex cares about a foreign billing address at all. The payment went through fine and I can see the charge successfully posted to my Amex account.

However, when I placed multiple orders (one at a time) with 3 different forwarders that I can find, all of them were canceled.

Referring to their store FAQ: Tesla Shop there's this clause (translated by Google)
Tesla reserves the right to cancel any order that appears to have been purchased for resale or export outside the shipping agent's address or Korea.
So I suspect they either look up the VIN associated with the account or have some sort of way to detect the shipping address is a commercial forwarder (I know USPS has an API for this, so wouldn't be surprised if Korea has something like this also).

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I see this fairly regularly. If it is charge point, they don't always have maintenance plans in place to fix them either. Sometimes it is up to the host.
It is ChargePoint. But I've seen broken connectors on other brands of EVSEs as well. Most of the broken ones I've seen have been on ChargePoint units, but those are the most numerous around here as well.

Reactions: jsight