Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have an option to purchase a CCS2 adapter today, why aren't people purchasing the adapter instead of waiting in line?

No CCS2 is for Europe, they are readily available:

CCS1 is for Korea, USA, and a few other locations:

Is this work for my NA version Tesla? It seems not TPC (Tesla proprietary connector) to CCS2 and specified for model X / S

If I understand correctly, wlee has an "older" (not that old, actually) Tesla car (from Taiwan) that has the same charging standard port as we here in North America--the TPC standard.

Taiwan recently decided to switch to the European charging standard (Type 2 [Mennekes] and CCS2 charging ports for Models S&X and 3&Y, respectively).

What wlee is saying, I believe, is that most Taiwanese Supercharger stalls now offer only Type 2 or CCS2 cables, even though most owners still drive the now out-dated TPC cars. (Is that really Tesla's fault? See my post above.)

The problem is that no Tesla adapters go from CCS2 to TPC or from Type 2 to TPC. The Tesla CCS Combo 2 Adapter (in that Tesla pdf manual) is intended to go from CCS2 to Type 2. That will not help wlee, unfortunately.

Last time I looked, there is one 3rd-party adapter (Made in Ukraine? Great! Perfect timing.) for CCS2-to-TPC and three (one from USA, one from Ukraine, and one from in or near Ukraine?) for Type 2-to-TPC. They apparently work, but are (a) very expensive, (b) arguably not as safe* as genuine Tesla adapters, and (c) may have delivery, warranty, and/or quality issues (depending on the country of origin).

So wlee, you have a real, bonafide problem on your hands.

It is not a perfect solution, but are there CHAdeMO stations available to help? Are you still able to purchase Tesla CHAdeMO adapters with the TPC plug? Unfortunately, they are not as fast as Supercharging, of course.
_____
* One TMC post referred to them as "suicide adapters". Here is a list of known Type 2-to-TPC 3rd-party adapters.

And here is the one (happens to be Ukrainian) source I know of for CCS2-to-TPC Adapters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and wlee
If I understand correctly, wlee has an "older" (not that old, actually) Tesla car (from Taiwan) that has the same charging standard port as we here in North America--the TPC standard.

Taiwan recently decided to switch to the European charging standard (Type 2 [Mennekes] and CCS2 charging ports for Models S&X and 3&Y, respectively).

What wlee is saying, I believe, is that most Taiwanese Supercharger stalls now offer only Type 2 or CCS2 cables, even though most owners still drive the now out-dated TPC cars. (Is that really Tesla's fault? See my post above.)

The problem is that no Tesla adapters go from CCS2 to TPC or from Type 2 to TPC. The Tesla CCS Combo 2 Adapter (in that Tesla pdf manual) is intended to go from CCS2 to Type 2. That will not help wlee, unfortunately.

Last time I looked, there is one 3rd-party adapter (Made in Ukraine? Great! Perfect timing.) for CCS2-to-TPC and three (one from USA, one from Ukraine, and one from in or near Ukraine?) for Type 2-to-TPC. They apparently work, but are (a) very expensive, (b) arguably not as safe* as genuine Tesla adapters, and (c) may have delivery, warranty, and/or quality issues (depending on the country of origin).

It is not a perfect solution, but are there CHAdeMO stations available to help? Are you still able to purchase Tesla CHAdeMO adapters with the TPC plug? Unfortunately, they are not as fast as Supercharging, of course.
_____
* One TMC post referred to them as "suicide adapters". Here is a list of known Type 2-to-TPC 3rd-party adapters.
Thank you so much for your explanation. I know this might be risky to use these non-OEM "suicide adapters". My point is, please do not rely on TESLA's mercy. This adapter is not something really high-tech. Safety concerns must be solved with proper measures (such as a genuine adapter released in South Korea). As a stockholder of Tesla, I wish they just make more money for me but not worry too much about these 'older' car owners. As an 'older' car owner, I wish someone can solve our problem. This is not a dilemma, just looking at things from different perspectives. So again I wish more companies can jump into these adapter markets and design a better and safer adapter for us, but not just WAITING for Tesla unconditionally.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
That is why I think we old car owners must help ourselves, not waiting for Tesla's favor. We must be the last priority problem for them to deal with. So please advocate this thought and find any 3rd parties willing to build adapters for old cars.

This is what happens to my country now, Tesla stop to sell the car with TPC (NA connector) and all new cars are CCS2. The newly opened SC Telsa built now only has one or two TPC stalls, which TPC cars maybe count 90% of electrical vehicles in my country. When even I need SC, the TPC stalls are always in line, and other stalls CCS1/2 are almost empty all the time. Telsa just doesn't care about old car owners here. Don't wait for others to help you, just find a way to help ourselves, just like the war happening in east Europe now.
My understanding is that for the new stalls with CCS2 connectors, Tesla installs dual head ones (like they do in Europe) so you can still use TPC. Here is a picture from Europe of a dual head stall:
most-tesla-superchargers-now-retrofitted-with-ccs-plugs-in-europe-video.jpg

Is that not the case in Taiwan? I haven't followed the latest developments. I actually started a thread on this. If you have pictures or an article of the situation at the new stations, it would be helpful update that thread.
Tesla will switch to CCS2 (from proprietary connector) in Taiwan starting Q3 2021

Edit: I looked it up myself. The two newest station appears to be "Tainan-Yongkang Aimai" and "Chiayi-Taibao":
特斯拉今年預計新增20座超級充電站!未來連台東長濱也能充 | ETtoday車雲 | ETtoday新聞雲

臺南 - 永康愛買 | Tesla
V3
3 個 TPC 超級充電座
3 個 CCS2 超級充電座
嘉義-太保 | Tesla
V3
5 個 TPC 超級充電座
4 個 CCS2 超級充電座
V2
8 個 TPC + CCS2 超級充電座

So it seems even when they don't have dual head (I presume the V2 ones saying TPC+CCS2 are dual head), they are keeping a 50:50 or better ratio between TPC and CCS2. Is there a new station that is not the case or are the maps wrong?
Here is a list of all stations in Taiwan:
Tesla Superchargers in Taiwan | Tesla

Last edited:
My understanding is that for the new stalls with CCS2 connectors, Tesla installs dual head ones (like they do in Europe) so you can still use TPC. Here is a picture from Europe of a dual head stall:
most-tesla-superchargers-now-retrofitted-with-ccs-plugs-in-europe-video.jpg

Is that not the case in Taiwan? I haven't followed the latest developments. I actually started a thread on this. If you have pictures or an article of the situation at the new stations, it would be helpful update that thread.
Tesla will switch to CCS2 (from proprietary connector) in Taiwan starting Q3 2021

Edit: I looked it up myself. The two newest station appears to be "Tainan-Yongkang Aimai" and "Chiayi-Taibao":
特斯拉今年預計新增20座超級充電站!未來連台東長濱也能充 | ETtoday車雲 | ETtoday新聞雲

臺南 - 永康愛買 | Tesla
V3
3 個 TPC 超級充電座
3 個 CCS2 超級充電座
嘉義-太保 | Tesla
V3
5 個 TPC 超級充電座
4 個 CCS2 超級充電座
V2
8 個 TPC + CCS2 超級充電座

So it seems even when they don't have dual head (I presume the V2 ones saying TPC+CCS2 are dual head), they are keeping a 50:50 or better ratio between TPC and CCS2. Is there a new station that is not the case or are the maps wrong?
Here is a list of all stations in Taiwan:
Tesla Superchargers in Taiwan | Tesla

Yes, some earlier SC has dual head. The problem is the last four SCs opened this year (in 2022 Q1, 湖口南 湖口北 清水 東山), all stations are either TPC or CCS, NO dual head. I don't know why Tesla did this. Not to mention, these four newly opened SCs, each SC only has ONE or TWO TPC stalls. That is ridiculous.

I also have to mentioned, the one "嘉義-太保 | Tesla" you listed above, is not officially Tesla SC. It is PRIVATELY own SC (the owner is a local guy is very kind and generous). His SC is the largest one SC in Taiwan, not only for Tesla, but also any CCS1/CCS2 stalls for other cars.

Reactions: kayak1 and Genie
Yes, some earlier SC has dual head. The problem is the last four SCs opened this year (in 2022 Q1, 湖口南 湖口北 清水 東山), all stations are either TPC or CCS, NO dual head. I don't know why Tesla did this. Not to mention, these four newly opened SCs, each SC only has ONE or TWO TPC stalls. That is ridiculous.
Sorry, I looked up the stations you talked about. It seems Tesla has maintained a 50:50 ratio or better in every case:

新竹 - 湖口服務區北向 | Tesla
V3
2 個 TPC 超級充電座
1 個 CCS2 超級充電座

新竹 - 湖口服務區南向 | Tesla
V3
2 個 TPC 超級充電座
1 個 CCS2 超級充電座

臺中 - 清水服務區 | Tesla
V3
2 個 TPC 超級充電座
1 個 CCS2 超級充電座

電動車國道快充「台南東山站」試營運,2/28 前充電不用錢::DDCAR 電動車
Last one is not listed, but it just opened:
"ZTE iCharging has two CCS charging piles, the highest charging power is 200kW, and two CCS1 and two CCS2 charging guns are set up to serve various electric vehicles; Tesla supercharger can only charge Tesla electric vehicles. There are three V3 single guns, which are composed of two TPCs and one CCS2."

The reason they don't have dual head in some locations appears to be because that doesn't exist for V3.

And the reason they installed only 2 TPC is because they only installed 3 total. If there are other CCS2 stalls, it was not Tesla's. I don't see how Tesla can take the blame for the other company's stalls.

Note for the CCS1 stalls for the other company, you can use the Setec adapter or the official Tesla CCS1 adapter.
I also have to mentioned, the one "嘉義-太保 | Tesla" you listed above, is not officially Tesla SC. It is PRIVATELY own SC (the owner is a local guy is very kind and generous). His SC is the largest one SC in Taiwan, not only for Tesla, but also any CCS1/CCS2 stalls for other cars.

Last edited:

_____

And here is the one (happens to be Ukrainian) source I know of for CCS2-to-TPC Adapters.
People have converted US spec Teslas when they moved with them to Europe.

You might look at ordering the parts for your car and swapping them out. If you are not comfortable with doing the swap you might check to see if Tesla service will do the swap for you. (Expect to pay them for the time and materials). I don't know if they will do the swap for you but it's worth checking.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
People have converted US spec Teslas when they moved with them to Europe.

You might look at ordering the parts for your car and swapping them out. If you are not comfortable with doing the swap you might check to see if Tesla service will do the swap for you. (Expect to pay them for the time and materials). I don't know if they will do the swap for you but it's worth checking.

I know what you are talking about, I had joined the discussion. Currently I am waiting for parts to convert with TPC model3 into CCS.
Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

Meanwhile, Tesla still not official sell the CCS/TPC adapter outside South Korea, this make the retrofit become more difficulty.

I tried to organized these information into one page for anyone who interested to convert their TPC Tesla into CCS1/2 Tesla.
You may check my web here https://tinyurl.com/2p8jny5z

Well, I barely ever charge at public EVSEs, but look at what I found last night:

View attachment 773269

It wasn't just one connector, it was both connectors on the EVSE. And both connectors on the EVSE next to it. And both connectors on the EVSE next to that. Didn't go down the line checking every connector but at least 6 of them had been broken.
Yes. It happens. That tang isn't very sturdy. We've had that happen at work a bunch. We have dozens of ChargePoint CT4000 L2 EVSEs (https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/ct4000) at work. It's up someone to report it and up to the station owner to fix it.

Re: what you posted in #1470, actually used those Tesla J1772 L2 EVSEs (free public charging) for several months on an almost daily basis w/my former Bolt due to the Bolt ban at my work (I had no other car). There were some of those sorta on the way home from work. The latch mechanism that you push on and all is actually reasonably sturdy and probably sturdier than the ones on CT4000 EVSEs, like the broken ones you posted.

The whole thing about the Tesla charge port opening when pressing on "TPC's" button is a Tesla-proprietary thing. And, there are quirks about it too, which is a longer story. We dealt with that at work before COVID across the 3 Tesla shipping models at the time (S, 3 and X) as we don't have the keys or phones of other drivers when we go to swap plugs. Long ago, we only had 5 WCs for 10 Tesla spaces.

Re: EA at B of A, yes, it was announced:

Last edited:
I've also had a situation where, when I pressed on the lever of the J1772 connector (while using the Tesla adapter), the charge port did not disengage its lock (but the doors to the vehicle were unlocked, so I should have been able to remove the adapter at that point). I had to go into the vehicle and hit "unlock charge port" before I could remove the adapter along with the connector as indicated in the instructions that come with the car. I have never had this happen with a TPC connector.

I believe this is the correct, by-design function, no?

The J-1772 adapter is a simple pass-through connector, there's no electronic wizardry involved--so there's no way for the EVSE to "talk" to the car beyond the J-1772 standard protocols (which do not, as far as I know, include any sort of Tesla-specific items, such as "unlatch the connector"). This is actually a good thing: would you want anyone to be able to walk up to your car, disconnect your power (which they can do*), and walk away with your adapter (which they cannot do, since it's still latched)?

Inside the vehicle to "unlock charge port" is one answer; pressing & holding the "trunk" on your keyfob is another; and pressing the little black button next to the charge port (with the key in range) is another. (I think the button may not exist in earlier models??)

*EDIT TO ADD: To address what is evidently a problem in some areas, there are several third-party solutions out there. I haven't used any of them (I've only ever been unplugged once), but they all appear to be some variation on physically preventing the J-1772 release lever from being raised while connected to the Tesla adapter while inserted in the car's charge port--and, since the adapter is latched in place, thus the whole connection is latched.

First hit from a search, there are many vendors: Model 3 Tesla Charger Lock for J1772 adapter J Plug Prevent unplugs for chargepoint

I believe this is the correct, by-design function, no?

The J-1772 adapter is a simple pass-through connector, there's no electronic wizardry involved--so there's no way for the EVSE to "talk" to the car beyond the J-1772 standard protocols (which do not, as far as I know, include any sort of Tesla-specific items, such as "unlatch the connector"). This is actually a good thing: would you want anyone to be able to walk up to your car, disconnect your power (which they can do*), and walk away with your adapter (which they cannot do, since it's still latched)?

Inside the vehicle to "unlock charge port" is one answer; pressing & holding the "trunk" on your keyfob is another; and pressing the little black button next to the charge port (with the key in range) is another. (I think the button may not exist in earlier models??)

*EDIT TO ADD: To address what is evidently a problem in some areas, there are several third-party solutions out there. I haven't used any of them (I've only ever been unplugged once), but they all appear to be some variation on physically preventing the J-1772 release lever from being raised while connected to the Tesla adapter while inserted in the car's charge port--and, since the adapter is latched in place, thus the whole connection is latched.

First hit from a search, there are many vendors: Model 3 Tesla Charger Lock for J1772 adapter J Plug Prevent unplugs for chargepoint
Usually, when you press down on the lever, the EVSE will cut power to the vehicle. I'm not sure if it disconnects the proximity pilot or just the AC but the vehicle should "know" when the lever is pressed down. For my ChargePoint Home unit that I use to charge my PHEV, I can even hear the EVSE click as soon as I press down on the lever.

Now obviously, if the doors are locked, the adapter should remain locked, even if you remove the connector from the adapter. But if the doors are unlocked, I don't see why it shouldn't be able to unlock the adapter when the charger is disabled. I don't use my J1772 adapter very often, but one time I was parked at the airport, the car failed to release the adapter until I went inside and hit "unlock charge port" on the display. It could have been a Tesla software bug or a problem with the EVSE though, as I do not have this issue every time I use the adapter.

Reactions: henderrj
Usually, when you press down on the lever, the EVSE will cut power to the vehicle. I'm not sure if it disconnects the proximity pilot or just the AC but the vehicle should "know" when the lever is pressed down. For my ChargePoint Home unit that I use to charge my PHEV, I can even hear the EVSE click as soon as I press down on the lever.

It "knows" the power has stopped & the communication protocol has been severed when the power is cut, yes.

If power stops, the doors are unlocked, AND a key is within range is when the latch releases. Perhaps your issue was with your key being too far away, or blocked, weak battery, etc...?

Quoting myself (how gauche, right??) to add: Whoops, left out using the mobile app.

Also, the OP corrected my interpretation of his issue: the latch will "automatically" open with power off, doors unlocked, & key in range....

Thanks, I guess it was pretty expensive to set up since he didn't say. And is Jane not a girls name in Taiwan? Big Brother Jane just sounds wrong. Perhaps Brother means something else there.
"Jane" is his last name, here it is a direct translate by its Chinese pronunciation. This website translation by Google is not very precise. Generally, we call it "Big Brother", which is an honorific title, which is somewhat similar to "Sir" or "Boss". But it's informal Chinese, it's generally colloquial usage.

By the way, currently "Big Brother Jane" already built two private Tesla SC in south Taiwan, and all have 6~13 stalls. Compare to official Tesla SC usually have only one or two stall, "Big Brother Jane" is a very generous business man.

That doesn't make any sense.

Supercharger is Tesla's brand of EV fast charging station.

You can own a EV fast charging station, but you can't own a Supercharger.
Your attitude isn't helping here. There is information you aren't aware of, but you are stating as an absolute (and absolutely wrong) that it can't happen. It is rare, but there are already a few of these privately owned Superchargers known to exist, where someone with a very big use case of a fleet of Tesla cars contacted Tesla and directly paid a very large amount of money (usually not specified) for Tesla to install a Supercharger site exclusively for them, for their own private use that is not open to the public.

The easiest to find an article for was a taxi service around Montreal that uses Teslas. So they got a private Supercharger site built to run their taxis. These privately owned Superchargers always seem to be capped at 60 kW per stall for some reason though.