Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're thinking the Town Pump station, Plugshare says it has CCS and CHAdeMO, which proves my point for the need for a CCS adapter.

Is there something else north of Missoula, like an official Supercharger or Tesla-compatible DC chargers like EVgo? I'm not finding anything on Tesla or Plugshare.
All I see on the Tesla charger map are Tesla level 2 destination chargers.

If you're thinking the Town Pump station, Plugshare says it has CCS and CHAdeMO, which proves my point for the need for a CCS adapter.

Is there something else north of Missoula, like an official Supercharger or Tesla-compatible DC chargers like EVgo? I'm not finding anything on Tesla or Plugshare.
It's actually a different Town Pump station

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! /farnsworth

Just tested it on my buddy's 2018 P100D Model S and it fits (just barely!). Note the pin (sorry for the glare) at the top just barely clearing the painted surface....

Any word yet from ANYONE on whether a South Korean CCS1 adapter will actually work in a "Classic" Model S or X at a CCS1 charge station in North America?

Of course, any test vehicle used must be CCS-enabled (view that information in the "Additional vehicle information" box, activated from the "Software" screen, on the center touch-screen. For example, here is that information as displayed by my (December 2020) Model X:

Additional vehicle information box

Last edited:
Any word yet from ANYONE on whether a South Korean CCS1 adapter will actually work in a "Classic" Model S or X at a CCS1 charge station in North America?

Of course, any test vehicle used must be CCS-enabled (view that information in the "Additional vehicle information" box, activated from the "Software" screen, on the center touch-screen. For example, here is that information as displayed by my (December 2020) Model X:

It seems to physically fit, obviously a Tesla-provided (or @FalconFour provide) retrofit and firmware update would need to happen to enable it.

Interesting. Do you think the few and properly-working EA chargers will be less crowded than the Supercharger site? Or is this just a backup?
You might like my article about why I bought the CHAdeMO adapter, which is inferior to the CCS.

The same reasons why you wanted that old adapter apply double for the CCS. It's like having more range in your car, even if you never use it. DC Fast stations are in more locations than superchargers, though with fewer stalls. But if you want to take a 30 mile detour on a whim, the fact that there's a DC fast station 30 miles closer than the supercharger is a big win.

All EVgo does is provide the CHAdeMO adapter on-site.
Sorry, but your accusation of it being incorrect...is incorrect. Having Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter on-site is exactly what those EVgo stations are doing. They have it "integrated" into a box on the side of the unit, and the station's CHAdeMO plug needs to be plugged into it to then pass it through to the cable that has the Tesla proprietary plug on the end of it. The article you linked said they have been doing that at some places since 2019, and this is simply an expansion of a lot more sites doing it. So it is still the CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter conversion (with the given 50 kW limit), but customers don't have to bring their own adapters.

Of cause not.

Nobody else can use the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) except for Tesla.

All EVgo does is provide the CHAdeMO adapter on-site.
That is not an EVgo station(Whitefish Town Pump). Just to clarify it is a Chargepoint. There is no adapter present. Don't want anyone headed to Glacier thinking there is one there. It would be a long drive down from Eureka to lend it out.;)