Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it is not that straightforward, unfortunately. It is not as simple as you are describing with only one transition date, and cars before versus after.

Tesla started adding them to some cars for a while, but then did literally run out and had to go back to cars not having them again for a period of time, and then at another point, got stock again, and was able to start including them again. So it's like three transition dates, with the inclusion status going through: NO, YES, NO, YES
Ah good to know. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. That said, this would even further limit the "demand" for the CCS1 adapters, at lease initially.

Ah good to know. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. That said, this would even further limit the "demand" for the CCS1 adapters, at lease initially.
Given retrofits are possible, that doesn't actually limit demand, rather it creates demand that Tesla may not be able to fill quickly if they aren't prepared for it.

Although the chips they use likely won't be the same, the recent Mobile Connector debundling means the chip industry generally still have not fixed the supply issues yet.

Just for giggles I made a service appointment to get my Sept 21 Y updated with the new chip. I got this reply from tesla...

SmartSelect_20220421-135028_Tesla.jpg

I guess I'll keep using my setec and wait...

What the heck is Tesla's argument? That Teslas "need" the TPC in order to charge? That argument has no leg to stand on, given that EVHub has already released an adapter, and furthermore, the spirit of the law is that all vehicles should be able to use the stations that are funded by public money. So Tesla would have a much better argument if they released an official TPC to CHAdeMO and TPC to CCS adapter that allows any EV with DC fast charging to use Tesla Superchargers with TPC connectors.
70% of EVs in the USA are Teslas. The government is massively subsidizing chargers that only work with 30% of the cars because the minority cars are "standard." Tesla seems to be willing to make stations with both TPC and CCS (They already make them and have supported CCS for some time in Euro chargers.)

They should just give up their requests and make TPC available as a standard. It's still the leading connector, and it might stay that way, but it won't on the current path, and they may find themselves driven to the expensive act of switching down the road. It was laws that forced them to switch in Europe, but if you are going to switch, better to do it sooner rather than later.

I don't see that bringing in the CCS1 adapter needs to be a disaster. Obviously it IS part of Tesla's strategy. After all, they currently are enabling the cars they are delivering.

Bring in the adapter for those who have enabled cars only. If the non-equipped request retrofits and Tesla centers cannot handle it, just say no. Tesla is pretty good at that.

If someone has a CCS 1-ready pre-refresh S/X and is in the Redmond, WA area we can meet up and try it out.

I am near Sacramento, California. If someone around here has ordered a CCS adapter, we could try it out on my Model X.

I would try to order one from Korea, but am awaiting confirmation that it will work on a CCS-enabled "Legacy/Classic" Models S & X (either in North America or Korea). Of course, if a Korean adapter fails to work on my car I could sell it (to Model 3/Y driver) and wait for a Model S/X-friendly version (if such were ever to be offered). But I worry that Tesla will keep track and only sell one adapter per VIN. Too many variables.

I was going to go the Harumio route, but I really don't want to give out my Tesla account credentials (even if I do change the password, which then breaks the Tesla app—and other apps like Tessie). I saw another member here mention Delivered, and while it might be slightly more complicated, I don't have to mess with sending credentials via email and risk having them misused/intercepted. Once someone gets your Tesla credentials, they can change the email and password on your account and lock you out. I'll take the hassle of a proxy service vs. that risk. Ask me again in 2-4 weeks when/if I actually get the adapter. ;)
Make a second Tesla account, add it as a driver to your car, and then give them that account. (Worked for me.)

Reactions: mnev
70% of EVs in the USA are Teslas. The government is massively subsidizing chargers that only work with 30% of the cars because the minority cars are "standard." Tesla seems to be willing to make stations with both TPC and CCS (They already make them and have supported CCS for some time in Euro chargers.)

They should just give up their requests and make TPC available as a standard. It's still the leading connector, and it might stay that way, but it won't on the current path, and they may find themselves driven to the expensive act of switching down the road. It was laws that forced them to switch in Europe, but if you are going to switch, better to do it sooner rather than later.
Tesla Proprietary Connector cannot be standard because it is proprietary and no one else can use it without agreeing to Tesla's outrageous terms of agreement.

Furthermore, CCS works with most EVs including Tesla vehicles with CCS adapters.

I am near Sacramento, California. If someone around here has ordered a CCS adapter, we could try it out on my Model X.

I would try to order one from Korea, but am awaiting confirmation that it will work on a CCS-enabled "Legacy/Classic" Models S & X (either in North America or Korea). Of course, if a Korean adapter fails to work on my car I could sell it (to Model 3/Y driver) and wait for a Model S/X-friendly version (if such were ever to be offered). But I worry that Tesla will keep track and only sell one adapter per VIN. Too many variables.
I have a CCS1 adapter on order via Harumio for my pre-refresh X with CCS support. It will be another week or two, so it will probably already be confirmed here before it arrives. It’s all but guaranteed to work since the pin is confirmed to fit and it’s a dumb adapter (other dumb adapters like EVHub’s have been confirmed to work on pre-refresh S/X).

In the slim chance it doesn’t work, you can resell for 3x cost providing it doesn’t release in US in the meantime. There’s one on eBay for $900 right now with days left.

Personally I don’t think the CCS/Tesla political stand-off is ending anytime soon given that it wasn’t mentioned in the quarterly earnings call yesterday.

@darknavi and I just tested the CCS1 adapter on my 2022 Model X and it worked perfectly. Compared to CHAdeMO, the adapter is sleek and the charging experience was seamless. Neither of us can figure out why it didn't ask for payment - maybe free charging for earth day has started already?

View attachment 796249View attachment 796250

With no real battery prep. we saw ~65kw with ~60% SOC. Not too shabby!

Still puzzled as to why EA didn't charge me earlier this week either :)

I don't see that bringing in the CCS1 adapter needs to be a disaster. Obviously it IS part of Tesla's strategy. After all, they currently are enabling the cars they are delivering.

Bring in the adapter for those who have enabled cars only. If the non-equipped request retrofits and Tesla centers cannot handle it, just say no. Tesla is pretty good at that.
But Tesla is just adding unnecessary anguish to more people by doing that. Sure in the short run they can address the few people that really want the adapter right now, but they would rouse up far more people to start asking. Currently it's much easier to explain by saying it's not available in US market yet for anyone.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and DrGriz
Tesla Proprietary Connector cannot be standard because it is proprietary and no one else can use it without agreeing to Tesla's outrageous terms of agreement.

Furthermore, CCS works with most EVs including Tesla vehicles with CCS adapters.
Adapters that you can't buy and which don't work with a decent fraction of the Teslas on the road -- at least for now. An upgrade may be coming.

The whole point is that Tesla could decide to make their adapter usable with no conditions (other than complying to the standard and keeping things safe) if they wanted to. It's a clearly superior connector, better than J1772, CCS and CHAdeMO. CCS can do 800v but I suspect Tesla's connector also could. CCS has only slowly caught up to Tesla in capability with the crawling adoption of plug and charge, and it remains much bulkier.

However, it is ridiculous to say that the plug used by 30% of cars is the "standard" when another plug is on 70% of cars. It just means that other companies have agreed to use it in common, but the Tesla connector is still by far the most common.

Standards are not some magical unalloyed good. They usually slow innovation, and you don't want that at a time when EVs are in a high innovation period. You can standardize after things slow down. I don't think CCS is the "final" connector, nor is Tesla. However, one thing you can do is keep enough in common that adapters are possible. Adapters should go on stations that wish to serve cars of that type, except for connectors that are rarely used -- those should go with cars.

Now, while a station is free to only serve certain types of cars (either due to physical connector or software decision) it is reasonable that if a station wants government grants to pay for it, that it stock adapters or cords for any connector found on a sufficient number of cars. As I said, the adapter belongs on the station, because there are far fewer stations than there are cars. (Indeed, that can be the threshold for when you must include such an adapter.) Public money for stations should be about serving the public. If 70% of the public have selected the Tesla adapter, that means public money should not exclude it because it's not a "standard."

Last edited:
If someone has a CCS 1-ready pre-refresh S/X and is in the Redmond, WA area we can meet up and try it out.
I have a 2021 prerefresh X that is enabled, I will be in Bellevue tomorrow and happy to try yours out, is there a CCS in Redmond? I think there’s an EA under the Safeway in downtown Bellevue. I don’t have accounts with any 3rd party chargers though.

Reactions: gglockner
Adapters that you can't buy and which don't work with a decent fraction of the Teslas on the road -- at least for now. An upgrade may be coming.

The whole point is that Tesla could decide to make their adapter usable with no conditions (other than complying to the standard and keeping things safe) if they wanted to. It's a clearly superior connector, better than J1772, CCS and CHAdeMO. CCS can do 800v but I suspect Tesla's connector also could. CCS has only slowly caught up to Tesla in capability with the crawling adoption of plug and charge, and it remains much bulkier.

However, it is ridiculous to say that the plug used by 30% of cars is the "standard" when another plug is on 70% of cars. It just means that other companies have agreed to use it in common, but the Tesla connector is still by far the most common.

Standards are not some magical unalloyed good. They usually slow innovation, and you don't want that at a time when EVs are in a high innovation period. You can standardize after things slow down. I don't think CCS is the "final" connector, nor is Tesla. However, one thing you can do is keep enough in common that adapters are possible. Adapters should go on stations that wish to serve cars of that type, except for connectors that are rarely used -- those should go with cars.

Now, while a station is free to only serve certain types of cars (either due to physical connector or software decision) it is reasonable that if a station wants government grants to pay for it, that it stock adapters or cords for any connector found on a sufficient number of cars. As I said, the adapter belongs on the station, because there are far fewer stations than there are cars. (Indeed, that can be the threshold for when you must include such an adapter.) Public money for stations should be about serving the public. If 70% of the public have selected the Tesla adapter, that means public money should not exclude it because it's not a "standard."
When "standard" is mentioned in this thread, it's really short for "open standard" and open standard has a very specific definition.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 2021 prerefresh X that is enabled, I will be in Bellevue tomorrow and happy to try yours out, is there a CCS in Redmond? I think there’s an EA under the Safeway in downtown Bellevue. I don’t have accounts with any 3rd party chargers though.
You should have met us at the Redmond Target before the rain :D

There is another EA charger at the Bank of America on 148th & 24th. And many others on Plugshare.