Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope.

At its core -- but god is in the details -- Tesla was implementing a popular proposal from the anti-patent community. A pledge to say "You can use our patents freely, but only if you also let us and everybody else use your patents freely." A mutual waiver of patent rights. Which most companies aren't willing to do. The extension to other IP was not part of that concept though, and scared more people away.

However, here I am not talking about other cars being able to charge at superchargers. Whether you can charge at a supercharger depends both on having the connector, and having an account. Even if anybody could make the connector, Tesla could still keep the network only to its customers. And in fact, in Europe, it doesn't do that but it charges non-Teslas more money. In theory they could charge non-Teslas a lot more money (especially if the station is filling up) to maintain the important message that you want to buy a Tesla because of its great charging network.

But I was talking about the other direction. Letting charging stations put Tesla cords on them. I see no reason Tesla should have done anything to stop that, and in fact great reasons to have assisted, even selling them the plugs at cost or below cost. The more places you can charge a Tesla, the better for Tesla owners, and the better for Tesla. I can't fathom why they didn't even give away the connectors for free to the makers of major DC Fast stations, and the communications and billing software too. It's a cheap way to get more places to charge.

At its core -- but god is in the details -- Tesla was implementing a popular proposal from the anti-patent community. A pledge to say "You can use our patents freely, but only if you also let us and everybody else use your patents freely." A mutual waiver of patent rights. Which most companies aren't willing to do. The extension to other IP was not part of that concept though, and scared more people away.

However, here I am not talking about other cars being able to charge at superchargers. Whether you can charge at a supercharger depends both on having the connector, and having an account. Even if anybody could make the connector, Tesla could still keep the network only to its customers. And in fact, in Europe, it doesn't do that but it charges non-Teslas more money. In theory they could charge non-Teslas a lot more money (especially if the station is filling up) to maintain the important message that you want to buy a Tesla because of its great charging network.

But I was talking about the other direction. Letting charging stations put Tesla cords on them. I see no reason Tesla should have done anything to stop that, and in fact great reasons to have assisted, even selling them the plugs at cost or below cost. The more places you can charge a Tesla, the better for Tesla owners, and the better for Tesla. I can't fathom why they didn't even give away the connectors for free to the makers of major DC Fast stations, and the communications and billing software too. It's a cheap way to get more places to charge.
Equipment manufacturers (ABB, BTCPower, efacec, Signet, whoever) can license the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) from Tesla so that their equipment can communicate with Tesla vehicles and be at the mercy of Tesla.

Alternatively, equipment manufacturers can just let Tesla drivers bring their own adapters and not have to deal with any of that nonsense.

The manufacturers chose the second option.

Reactions: mociaf9
We're testing a pre-refresh Model X with CCS support enabled today!
Harumio e-mailed me late last night so I got the process started.

In a few months, I'm headed to West Hollywood and it's slim picking on DC fast charging in that area. During rush hour, it's easily 30 minutes to get to a SuperCharger. I wanted CCS as backup as there's a couple 50 kwh CCS in that area. (My hotel will also have a single J1772. But from my experience with hotels, it could be unavailable, valet blocking it, etc...)

Reactions: kayak1
(My hotel will also have a single J1772. But from my experience with hotels, it could be unavailable, valet blocking it, etc...)
I’m with @bradtem on this - if I were you, I would focus on overnight Level 2 charging instead of daytime Level 3 charging. I’d be surprised if there aren’t plenty of Level 2 options within a short walk of a hotel in W Hollywood. And yes, I realize that walking is a dirty word in LA…

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
How long did it take from when you ordered, to when you got an email from Deliver Korea?
I ordered from Tesla Korea on 4/19 and it arrived at Delivered yesterday, so two days. I, too, never received any tracking number, but Delivered sent me an email letting me know it had been delivered. I filled out the form they wanted, paid the shipping charge and am just waiting for them to ship it. They claim (falsely, I think), that the part contains batteries and therefore is not eligible for the standard shipping ($31), but it was only $11 more for FedEx International, so I would have selected that option anyway.

I ordered from Tesla Korea on 4/19 and it arrived at Delivered yesterday, so two days. I, too, never received any tracking number, but Delivered sent me an email letting me know it had been delivered. I filled out the form they wanted, paid the shipping charge and am just waiting for them to ship it. They claim (falsely, I think), that the part contains batteries and therefore is not eligible for the standard shipping ($31), but it was only $11 more for FedEx International, so I would have selected that option anyway.

Very odd, I paid $31 for it.

This latter part is exactly the gist I got from your post. It's a lot cheaper to work with the charge networks to add TPC cords, than to supply every single TPC equipped Tesla with a CCS adapter. As mentioned in another post, EVgo uses an extended length TPC cable with its CHAdeMO adapter. I presume Tesla either supplied that, or at the very least turned a blind eye if a third party made it.

The better option IMO is to pickup a CCS adapter for $280-330 or so, sell your CHAdeMO for ~$400-450 on eBay and net some cash. That's my plan once the CCS adapter arrives.
Even after I get my CCS adapter, I’m going to hold on to my Chademo adapter to lend out to others and for the odd circumstance that only Chademo works on a given charger (I’ve seen this on a couple chargers).

The Korea CCS adapter is confirmed to work on prerefresh Model X. Darknavi was kind enough to bring his adapter to Redmond Wa EA for me to try. I was at 63% and the 150kW charger was giving -60kW. It’s a compact thing, and the push rod fits in perfectly, like it was designed for it :)

Picture evidence! Personally I am convinced now that if your car reports "CCS Support: Enabled" it will probably "just work".

IMG_8315.jpg
IMG_8314.jpg

This latter part is exactly the gist I got from your post. It's a lot cheaper to work with the charge networks to add TPC cords, than to supply every single TPC equipped Tesla with a CCS adapter. As mentioned in another post, EVgo uses an extended length TPC cable with its CHAdeMO adapter. I presume Tesla either supplied that, or at the very least turned a blind eye if a third party made it.
There is no such thing as some "cords".

The (charging) equipment needs to be able to communicate with the Tesla vehicle.

The only ways to do that are for the equipment's manufacturers to either get the specifications from Tesla by licensing the TPC or to reverse engineer it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I’m with @bradtem on this - if I were you, I would focus on overnight Level 2 charging instead of daytime Level 3 charging. I’d be surprised if there aren’t plenty of Level 2 options within a short walk of a hotel in W Hollywood. And yes, I realize that walking is a dirty word in LA…
Planning to stay at West Hollywood Edition. Since I'm driving in from SJ late night, my car will be close to dead. From what I've looked at, charging in West Hollywood is slim picking.

While my first choice is overnight L2 charging at the Edition, I wouldn't mind having a CCS backup option. (Or whenever Q2 SuperCharger opens.)

There is no such thing as some "cords".

The (charging) equipment needs to be able to communicate with the Tesla vehicle.

The only ways to do that are for the equipment's manufacturers to either get the specifications from Tesla by licensing the TPC or to reverse engineer it.
In theory you could do the amazing kludge of a Tesla-geometry cord that speaks CCS at the end, basically combining the Tesla passthrough adapter and a CCS cord into one core. That'd only need consistency on the TPC hardware geometry, which Tesla does have control of but seems less likely to change. It'd still be somewhat silly, and only work on cars which had received the (as yet still formally unavailable) CCS retrofit or came with it new from the factory in the last year or two.

Planning to stay at West Hollywood Edition. Since I'm driving in from SJ late night, my car will be close to dead. From what I've looked at, charging in West Hollywood is slim picking.

While my first choice is overnight L2 charging at the Edition, I wouldn't mind having a CCS backup option. (Or whenever Q2 SuperCharger opens.)
The AC Hotel by Marriott Beverly Hills has EV charging. I assume L2 (I can't recall the exact setup, I had a rental ICE at the time).

Reactions: wornout