Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Harumio must be ordering extra batches of anticipatory stock. I received my adapter faster than I've ever received anything else shipped directly from Tesla. Ordered evening of the 19th and arrived at my doorstep on the 27th.
When I ordered, it only took 5 days from when I emailed them to when I got a DHL notification. During that time, I was able to login directly to Tesla Korea, and see the order. DHL delivered to my door step within 2 days.When it arrived at LAX, it took 4 hours to clear customs and leave LAX. Then within 5 hours it went out in another flight arrived in my city 1000 miles away, and then dropped off at my front door.

Reactions: kayak1
The closest DCFC to my location that's >50kW is an Electrify Canada station rated at 350kW, so that's where I went to test the adapter that arrived on Thursday. It took a bit of finagling to get the session started, mainly because my account with them wasn't as set up as I thought it was - had to unplug and replug after finishing setting that up to start a charge session.

I arrived at 74% SOC without preconditioning (no superchargers in the immediate vicinity), so possibly not the greatest test, but I did get up to 90% in 21 minutes with an observed peak charging rate of 44kW - a far cry from 350kW, but I don't think I'm going to be in a position to try it out with more favourable charging conditions than that any time soon. I'm just happy to know that the adapter is working.

Attachments

• DSC_0083.JPG
    DSC_0083.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 53
Plugged in at an EA station today with about 57% SOC, only got 40kW max at a 150kW station (per the label on the charger), although the EA app said it was a 50kW station. Of the 6 stalls at this site, only two were even functional. The EA app says they're aware of the issues, as of 3/31, so apparently they've had issues here for nearly two months w/o resolving them. That does not inspire confidence.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Charging curve using the CCS adapter tested at a "350 kW" / 500A EA DCFC station, 5% - 95%. ⚡
I decided to create a new thread as it's too much info to stuff into this (already long) thread.

All comments regarding this should go in that thread for consistency, thanks!

I tested two different EA stations, both were 150kw units. I went to one first thing in the morning, since it was only like a mile or two away from our rental property. I arrived with 30% SoC with no preconditioning. It took me 3 tries to get it to work, including switching handles. I only got 45 kw from that thing. So I only charged for like 15 minutes and left.

A few hours later I went to another EA station but this time preconditioned to get there, since there was a SC in the same area. I got there again with 30% SoC, but this time, it worked on the first try, and right off the bat I pulled 137 kW from the 150 kW charger. I noticed on plugshare another Tesla Y said they only pulled 38 kW or something with a similar SoC as me, so I made sure to use a different stall.

Reactions: DrGriz
Plugged in at an EA station today with about 57% SOC, only got 40kW max at a 150kW station (per the label on the charger), although the EA app said it was a 50kW station. Of the 6 stalls at this site, only two were even functional. The EA app says they're aware of the issues, as of 3/31, so apparently they've had issues here for nearly two months w/o resolving them. That does not inspire confidence.
Maybe it was an EVgo station? I'm not aware of any EA stations that are 50kW. It's not unusual for "50kW" EVgo stations to be less than 50kW. I've seen some as low as 35kW. And EVgo seems to be lax about fixing their chargers.
But yeah, the CCS network as a whole doesn't match Tesla's network in terms of ease of use and uptime. That's why most people will use the adapter only when a Tesla SC is not available.

• Disagree
Reactions: kayak1 and israndy
In Traverse City, the Supercharger is up to 90c/minute. The Blink CCS charger is 34c/minute.

These adapters will be key to alleviating Supercharger congestion, reducing range anxiety (with more options), and introducing competition in DCFC.

I do watch the CCS chargers on PlugShare, and agree that the reliability is worse, overall. Electrify America seems to do a better job. I wouldn't want to be a non-Tesla EV owner at this time, as the reliability is just bad enough to make ya worry.

I imagine the economics of a DCFC installation requires more transactions/volume. So it won't be long before we start seeing incentives or reward programs like what gas stations have. It just doesn't make sense that Tesla is charging 90c/min and 2 miles up the road, Blink can manage 34c/minute.

Maybe it was an EVgo station? I'm not aware of any EA stations that are 50kW. It's not unusual for "50kW" EVgo stations to be less than 50kW. I've seen some as low as 35kW. And EVgo seems to be lax about fixing their chargers.
But yeah, the CCS network as a whole doesn't match Tesla's network in terms of ease of use and uptime. That's why most people will use the adapter only when a Tesla SC is not available.

I imagine the economics of a DCFC installation requires more transactions/volume. So it won't be long before we start seeing incentives or reward programs like what gas stations have. It just doesn't make sense that Tesla is charging 90c/min and 2 miles up the road, Blink can manage 34c/minute.
I know it's not easy but comparing cost per minute is not a valid way because there are too many factors that affect these actual charges. In each charge session you have to adjust for charge power source such as Tesla 250KW or 150KW vs. what the Blink stations use, and then adjust the rate based on battery condition and taper curve. Like a I said it isn't easy to compare just on cost per minute.

The second problem is I feel that charging by the minute is a way the states do it to put EV's at a disadvantage to gasoline cars. I suspect that when EV's become mainstream for all mfg's and dealerships they will force the government to correct the coast per minute and go to a cost per KWH.

In Traverse City, the Supercharger is up to 90c/minute. The Blink CCS charger is 34c/minute.

These adapters will be key to alleviating Supercharger congestion, reducing range anxiety (with more options), and introducing competition in DCFC.

I do watch the CCS chargers on PlugShare, and agree that the reliability is worse, overall. Electrify America seems to do a better job. I wouldn't want to be a non-Tesla EV owner at this time, as the reliability is just bad enough to make ya worry.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see that, too. As for me, a little inconvenience to save $4 on a charging session on the road is a reasonable tradeoff, and with the road trip to I have planned in June, it will help me considerably as far as alleviating range anxiety and getting better pricing. The only gap in the CCS network I will have to deal with is on I-80 across Wyoming and western Nebraska.

On recent travels to Chicago, at one mall, there is a 6-stall EA station, max 150 kW at $0.31 per kWh, and a 10-stall Tesla supercharger, max 72 kW, at $0.45 per kWh. Guess which one I chose.....

Definitely EA. Here's the screen shot today, but it looked like this yesterday. The signs on the chargers show powers higher that what the app is showing. I plugged in at station 5.

IMG_9BFBB3D7FD3A-1.jpeg

Ironically, an older "nose cone" 70D was parked (obviously not charging) in the 6th spot. Thought that was a real a-hole move until I came back and it was being loaded onto a flatbed. Turns out it was a rental and the drivers didn't know they couldn't charge there. They were at 0% and the owner was "freaking out" about battery damage so the renters weren't willing to try driving it to the Supercharger that's about 7 miles away.

IMG_619A9F067E7F-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Taking into consideration that all the EVgo DCFC locations I have looked at outside California charge by the minute rather than by the kilowatt hour....

The beauty of this thread is that with the Harimo option actually cost effective and working, it gives us another tool in our road trip toolboxes that is pretty sharp. WIth the influx of new EV cars (saw three Polestars now, two in the GTA and one in Frankfurt today where I am on business) those companies will up their game as they have a new untapped market to attract (us).....

Where do people keep their CCS adapter?

View attachment 810709

I keep mine in the center console, under the armrest. I have the divider/tray, so the adapter sits underneath it.

20220530_193535.jpg

I don't see the obsession with people getting a case for it and hiding it somewhere deep in the trunk. It's an adapter (a tool), not a family heirloom! The adapter is something I will use often, so I want to keep it at arm's length for easy access.

Door pocket is also a great idea! I keep my large water bottle there, so unfortunately spot is already taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: cusetownusa and KJD
I keep mine in the center console, under the armrest. I have the divider/tray, so the adapter sits underneath it.

View attachment 810791

I don't see the obsession with people getting a case for it and hiding it somewhere deep in the trunk. The adapter is something I will use often, so I want to keep it at arm's length for easy access.
Door pocket is also a great idea! I keep my large water bottle there, so unfortunately spot is already taken.

I'll keep it in the case. I bought it for trips. And I don't take that many.
My charging -
Home - 95.5%
Other L2 - 3%
SC - 1.5%

When I go on a trip, I may keep it out of the frunk (I've got the J1772 stored there). I got it for flexability. Based on what others are saying, it might end of cheaper but not as cheap as in the garage