Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I go on a trip, I may keep it out of the frunk (I've got the J1772 stored there). I got it for flexability. Based on what others are saying, it might end of cheaper but not as cheap as in the garage
I don't want to jinx anything... but around here in CA, EA is currently the cheapest:

Tesla supercharger: $0.58/kWh
EVgo: $0.56/kWh + $0.99 session fee
EA: $0.43/kWh, or $0.31/kWh if paying for the monthly $4 membership

Off-peak hours are less for Tesla ($0.29/kWh) and slightly less for EVgo ($0.47/kWh), but I think most people roadtrip during daylight hours when its peak rates.

Reactions: israndy
I don't want to jinx anything... but around here in CA, EA is currently the cheapest:

Tesla supercharger: $0.58/kWh
EVgo: $0.56/kWh + $0.99 session fee
EA: $0.43/kWh, or $0.31/kWh if paying for the monthly $4 membership

Off-peak hours are less for Tesla ($0.29/kWh) and slightly less for EVgo ($0.47/kWh), but I think most people roadtrip during daylight hours when its peak rates.

Just did a trip from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe with the CCS adapter I got from Harumio.

37kWh EA in Placerville, CA - $0.31 versus $0.46 / kWh, savings $5.55, maxed out at 180+ kW
42kWh EA in South Lake Tahoe, CA - $0.31 versus $0.36 / kWh, savings $2.10, also maxed out at 180+kW

With speeds close to Supercharger V3 rates, and virtually no crowding (I was the only one there from start to finish) - I’ve basically already paid off the monthly $4 membership fee, and there’s still the drive back.

If you drive enough long distance trips (I do), you can easily pay off even the cost of the adapter eventually. I’m just hoping EA doesn’t raise prices anytime soon.

Also, none of the locations above have the $0.29/kWh off-peak rates as far as I know - didn’t check carefully, but that’s what I like about EA’s consistent pricing - doesn’t matter what time of the day it is - and at the moment, some of the best rates available in CA.

Just did a trip from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe with the CCS adapter I got from Harumio.

37kWh EA in Placerville, CA - $0.31 versus $0.46 / kWh, savings $5.55, maxed out at 180+ kW
42kWh EA in South Lake Tahoe, CA - $0.31 versus $0.36 / kWh, savings $2.10, also maxed out at 180+kW

With speeds close to Supercharger V3 rates, and virtually no crowding (I was the only one there from start to finish) - I’ve basically already paid off the monthly $4 membership fee, and there’s still the drive back.

If you drive enough long distance trips (I do), you can easily pay off even the cost of the adapter eventually. I’m just hoping EA doesn’t raise prices anytime soon.

Also, none of the locations above have the $0.29/kWh off-peak rates as far as I know - didn’t check carefully, but that’s what I like about EA’s consistent pricing - doesn’t matter what time of the day it is - and at the moment, some of the best rates available in CA.
The EA rates you're paying are slightly more than you're calculating. Remember that Tesla only charges you for what actually goes into your battery, while EA is charging you for kWh delivered from the charger, regardless of how much or little of it goes into your battery. You generally lose around 2-4% which increases the cost of EA by around 1¢/kWh so it's going to take slightly longer for you to pay off the cost of the adapter than you've calculated.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy and MP3Mike
Remember that Tesla only charges you for what actually goes into your battery
Hmmm… I don’t think that’s true - I’ve done the math before while waiting at a supercharger - the indicated +kWh on the screen doesn’t match the accumulated money I’m paying (I calculated $ / kWh). I’m always paying more in kWh than the amount shown on the screen. I came to the conclusion that all chargers work like that - they charge what you’ve expended from the charger, not what you’ve stored in the battery.

Last edited:
The EA rates you're paying are slightly more than you're calculating. Remember that Tesla only charges you for what actually goes into your battery, while EA is charging you for kWh delivered from the charger, regardless of how much or little of it goes into your battery. You generally lose around 2-4% which increases the cost of EA by around 1¢/kWh so it's going to take slightly longer for you to pay off the cost of the adapter than you've calculated.
That hasn't been the case with Tesla for a while now. They charge you for the electricity coming out of the supercharger.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
On peak/off peak rates for Superchargers are generally only in the metro areas. I think along interstates and major travel routes, it's a fixed fee.

Except for certain holidays. Tesla likes to give free supercharging off-peak at travel Superchargers (like this Memorial Day weekend) to ease travel congestion. They don't do this for metro Superchargers.

Reactions: masotime
I plan to keep the CCS adapter and J1772 adapter in a case in the frunk with all my charging equipment. Doesn't take long to find it and will just be needed in a few locations on my road trips. I have more important stuff taking up the center console. It's just a backup when no SC available. I get free SC for life so why pay more when I don't have to?

Reactions: DrGriz
If you truly are a Boston Pilot then you might be close enough to give you some pointers. I live in Natick, so if you want to swap the ECU, I can help you.

I had a 2021 that was delivered in September and it was a simple swap to get CCS enabled.

I appreciate the offer. Born and raised in Dorchester, BC grad…..learned to fly at Wiggins at Norwood Airport. 🤗 Sadly, stuck in NJ until retirement! JFK based, but NO effing way I’m living in NY! 😂

Reactions: Bunklung
Since when? The last time I supercharged (September of last year), I didn't really notice a discrepancy between the charged amount and the +kWh shown in my car, but then again, I only took about 23 kWh to begin with.
It changed a while ago, however I have also noticed that the difference reported is really small. Teslamate often reports charging efficiencies of 96% at superchargers.

I tried the CCS adapter and with EA I only saw ~85% efficiency. I only did short sessions for testing and wasn't preconditioned, so those may be factors.

Reactions: STS-134
It changed a while ago, however I have also noticed that the difference reported is really small. Teslamate often reports charging efficiencies of 96% at superchargers.

I tried the CCS adapter and with EA I only saw ~85% efficiency. I only did short sessions for testing and wasn't preconditioned, so those may be factors.

Interesting - I’m not sure how accurate TeslaFi is, but I subscribe to it and checked - it also lists “efficiency” numbers during my charges. I was able to pre-condition because there were nearby Tesla superchargers I could configure the Tesla to go to while I did actual voice navigation to the EA chargers my smartphone.

TeslaFi says the efficiency numbers are 96% on my first stop (Placerville, CA) and 100% on my second stop (South Lake Tahoe, CA). I think the 96% is because I stayed in my car - it was much warmer in Placerville so I turned the air conditioning on.

Admittedly it’s tricky to pre-condition when driving to a non-Tesla supercharger - I find it annoying that there’s no direct “precondition” override option in the controls when you’re driving. I did learn that as long as you have a supercharger as the destination in the center console and you’re within 30 miles (hand waving it here, but that is my estimate) - it’s usually enough to trigger the software to start and sustain preconditioning.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
Admittedly it’s tricky to pre-condition when driving to a non-Tesla supercharger - I find it annoying that there’s no direct “precondition” override option in the controls when you’re driving. I did learn that as long as you have a supercharger as the destination in the center console and you’re within 30 miles (hand waving it here, but that is my estimate) - it’s usually enough to trigger the software to start and sustain preconditioning.
For refreshed MS and MX, I wonder how Supercharger preconditioning compares to Drag Strip Mode preconditioning? That can be enabled as desired.

Rumors say that all Teslas are gonna get TrackMode in the not too distant future, hopefully we can all precondition on demand.

I would prefer if Tesla would just get around to adding CCS chargers to the NAV display. At least for high speed CCS stations like ChargePoint and EA. There are several CCS adapters on the market, so they shouldn't wait to add CCS to NA Teslas until their own adapter is available. They probably should have added them when they adding the CCS Enabled information tag to the Car Info section.

Rumors say that all Teslas are gonna get TrackMode in the not too distant future, hopefully we can all precondition on demand.

I would prefer if Tesla would just get around to adding CCS chargers to the NAV display. At least for high speed CCS stations like ChargePoint and EA. There are several CCS adapters on the market, so they shouldn't wait to add CCS to NA Teslas until their own adapter is available. They probably should have added them when they adding the CCS Enabled information tag to the Car Info section.
True, but probably should be optin. It would be confusing to people without the adapter otherwise.