Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It means when a Tesla connects to a Tesla supercharger, it doesn't need to use CCS/PLC for the communications mechanism. It can use the Canbus based Tesla protocol.
Well sure, but that’s because Tesla went about creating their Supercharger network a decade ago when CCS wasn’t ready or capable enough for what the Model S needed. There would be relatively point in Rivian developing their own independent and separate DC charging communications protocol now. Rivian can do everything they need by using the CCS standard protocols or extending them slightly, if needed.

Actually it comes from the permits that Tesla has pulled, just like I said. For example:

View attachment 822909
In some jurisdictions that only includes labor, but I thought in Oregon it had to include everything.
The 34 stall (+6 L2 stations) Geary station in SF was $795k. 16 are urban chargers, but the other 18 are V3. I know for a fact SF project valuations include everything (not only labor) although it's only a ballpark number (does not include any cost overruns later in the project).
Supercharger - San Francisco, CA - Geary Blvd. (LIVE 20 May 2021, 16 V3 + 18 Urban stalls)

Given Tesla has vertically integrated everything, their costs may not necessarily be able to be matched by new players that are just buying chargers from third parties (and also need the payment processing part, which Tesla has saved so far).

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Actually it comes from the permits that Tesla has pulled, just like I said. For example:

View attachment 822909
In some jurisdictions that only includes labor, but I thought in Oregon it had to include everything.
I don't think you know what you are looking at.

That's the cost for the contractor to install the Supercharger.

A huge portion of the cost of a DCFC station is the electrical upgrade required to bring power to the site.

We don't even know if the RAN uses CCS, or if they use a completely proprietary signaling method. (I do wonder if it is CCS, and since it is currently in "free vend" mode if non-Rivians could use it.)

The only person I "know" in Colorado with a Tesla that could test it is @MorrisonHiker and he is about 2 hours from Salida. (And I don't know if they have a CCS adapter or not.)
We did just get the CCS adapter a couple weeks ago. We might make it down to Salida in August and could try it out then.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I don't think you know what you are looking at.

That's the cost for the contractor to install the Supercharger.

A huge portion of the cost of a DCFC station is the electrical upgrade required to bring power to the site.
Yes, there is probably more cost from the utility, but how much is that really? Are you saying the utilities are charging almost $2 million per site? (Which is what would be necessary for what you say, that Tesla has spent more than $7.5B on the existing Superchargers, to be true.)

Yes, there is probably more cost from the utility, but how much is that really?
You don't really know, do you?

The cost of the utility upgrade could easily be half the total cost of the site if not more.

Are you saying the utilities are charging almost $2 million per site? (Which is what would be necessary for what you say, that Tesla has spent more than $7.5B on the existing Superchargers, to be true.)
I would estimate the total cost of Supercharger per site at $0.5 million+

Last edited:
I would estimate the total cost of Supercharger per site at $0.5 million+
Finally, you admit that you were wrong. ($500k/site * 3,500 sites = $1.75B.) So like I said Tesla has spent way less on their entire worldwide Supercharger network than the government is giving out to build chargers just in the US. (Less than 25% as much.)

I do understand that the entire $7.5B isn't gong to DCFC chargers, and I don't recall what percentage of it is.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
Finally, you admit that you were wrong. ($500k/site * 3,500 sites = $1.75B.) So like I said Tesla has spent way less on their entire worldwide Supercharger network than the government is giving out to build chargers just in the US. (Less than 25% as much.)

I do understand that the entire $7.5B isn't gong to DCFC chargers, and I don't recall what percentage is.
I always estimated Superchargers at $500,000+ per site.

Your calculation is wrong because you assume that every site is $500,000K.

For example, there is no way that Supercharger at Harris Ranch is $500,000K

Imagine if back in 2012, when Tesla was rolling out the Supercharger, there is $7.5 billion to rollout public EV charging stations.

I doubt Tesla would say, "No, I don't want it!".
If you went back to 2012 and told them that there's $7.5 billion available in 2022, they'd probably do exactly the same thing they've already done. "A decade? We might not even be around by then if we don't get moving on fast chargers!"

True, it is just an estimate, some sites will cost more, others will cost less. But the point is still valid, there is no way Tesla has spent $7.5B on the Supercharger network.

Isn't the $7.5B also including a lot of more local chargers? L2s at various places? I thought the DCFC highway network was "only" about half of it? Of course, given the administrative overhead, this will likely be equivalent to ~2B for someone line EA or Tesla.

And, tbh, this isn't even talking about the 400V problem.

If you went back to 2012 and told them that there's $7.5 billion available in 2022, they'd probably do exactly the same thing they've already done. "A decade? We might not even be around by then if we don't get moving on fast chargers!"

I think the idea for this hypothetical scenario is that the money would have been available in 2012. :) Cynically, I do sometimes wonder if Tesla will be prioritized last for this money, though, even if they add CCS. After all, Tesla will build them anyway...

Isn't the $7.5B also including a lot of more local chargers? L2s at various places? I thought the DCFC highway network was "only" about half of it? Of course, given the administrative overhead, this will likely be equivalent to ~2B for someone line EA or Tesla.
No.

The DOT wants to use the entire fund to rollout fast chargers.

$5 billion will be handed out to states according to national hughway formula.

The rest ($2.5 billion) will be used to fill coverage gaps in rural and disadvantaged areas.
And, tbh, this isn't even talking about the 400V problem.
What is the 400V problem?

I think the idea for this hypothetical scenario is that the money would have been available in 2012. :)
That’s how normal people would read it.

Cynically, I do sometimes wonder if Tesla will be prioritized last for this money, though, even if they add CCS. After all, Tesla will build them anyway...
Who else would be competing?

Reactions: jsight
No.

The DOT wants to use the entire fund to rollout fast chargers.

$5 billion will be handed out to states according to national hughway formula.

The rest ($2.5 billion) will be used to fill coverage gaps in rural and disadvantaged areas.

2.5B of that goes to "competitive grants to support community and corridor charging, improve local air quality, and increase EV charging access in underserved and overburdened communities". Its highly likely that some of these will be L2s or at least lower speed urban DCFC.

What is the 400V problem?

The proposed rules for the plan require "150kw", but do not specify a voltage. 200 amp stations meet this qualification, but will only provide ~80kw for vehicles like the F-150 Lightning and Cadillac Lyriq due to their 400 volt system.

I've seen no indication that these types of units will be disallowed.

That’s how normal people would read it.

Yes

Who else would be competing?

Everyone. EVGo, EA, Shell Recharge, Circle K, and a host of other companies (including utilities) using Chargepoint as a service provider. Some of these companies are very adept at the kind of proposal writing that will be required.

Tesla Model 3 charges faster on an Electrify America charging station than on a Tesla V3 Supercharger

TM3EASV3.jpg

TM3EASV3_2.jpg