Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. We have our car back now, and like your picture, it says "Not installed." Sigh. But maybe one can have it installed?
Eventually, Tesla is almost certain to offer a service upgrade to add CCS to older cars. Depending upon model and year it is either just a quick circuit board swap or possibly also a wiring harness replacement.

Some owners have figured out how to do it themselves by ordering the necessary parts from Tesla. There is a thread here on TMC describing how to do it.

(old post never posted) I spoke to a woman in Gilroy today with a KIA who said she has been free charging there for three weeks. I know the YouTube channel Transport Evolved's crew drove from Portland to San Diego for last weeks Fully Charged Live for free so it may be everywhere.
EA juice (showing complimentary session) has been going on since probably around Sept 7th. There have been reports starting at Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set....

I took advantage again tonight (9/18) and put up a pic of the software upgrade message at Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set....

Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set... has examples of what to look for/what it looks like (from free EA juice long ago).

I did mention a caveat at Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set... of some sites having multiple down stations during this free period.

I believe that was because of shortage of chips, but you could just order and replace the part 1537264-80-B with the 1537264-00-B?

That is true for "newer" North American Models 3 and Y--those built from early 2020 and later--that came with a Gen4 charge-port ECU. Most (but not all) during the recent three-year period are CCS-enabled. Unfortunately due to the chip shortage cars from around June 2021 to October 2021 once again lacked CCS capability. To "fix" these newer cars, you can apparently simply replace the 1537264-80-B ECU (which apparently lacks the correct chip) with the 1537264-00-B that is CCS-compatible, and then perform a firmware update to recover CCS-charge capability.

For 2017-2020 Model 3 with the Gen3 ECU (various part numbers), you can also replace the older ECU with the newer Gen4 ECU (1537264-00-B), but some wiring harness modifications are also required, as explained throughout that lengthy DIY thread started by @FalconFour. The correct 1537264-00-B ECU was available (Is it still?) at many Tesla parts desks for ~$140, and a wiring harness modification kit (="bundle of wires;" e.g., here and here) could be purchased online.

Last edited:
Now available from Tesla, order quick:

Now available from Tesla, order quick:

Nice to see these in the Tesla store. And at $60 less than I paid to get mine from Korea.

now we need to have a way to get older cars retro-fitted at reasonable costs...

The Tesla website addresses that. Looks like retrofits are coming sometime in 2023.

"Tesla will be adding retrofit eligibility for Model S and Model X vehicles and older Model 3 and Model Y vehicles currently designated as requiring a retrofit. Please check back in early 2023 for availability."

now we need to have a way to get older cars retro-fitted at reasonable costs...
What's interesting is when you go to the Tesla site it asks you to log in:
1663785773977.png

Then once you do it gives you a warning if you car isn't capable. My 2016 nosecone model S has this listed:
1663785848935.png

The Tesla website addresses that. Looks like retrofits are coming sometime in 2023.
"sometime in 2023" ;) I guess it all depends on the take rate and how much they charge to see if there's a long line for it... frankly here in Texas the EA network wouldn't offer me anything in addition to SCs ... the SC network is far superior at least in my area than anything EA has.

"sometime in 2023" ;) I guess it all depends on the take rate and how much they charge to see if there's a long line for it... frankly here in Texas the EA network wouldn't offer me anything in addition to SCs ... the SC network is far superior at least in my area than anything EA has.
I bought my CCS1 adapter as a "just in case" option. I have never used it, but like the A/C adapter, carry in the car, just in case. But if it is Supercharger or CCS, I am going Supercharger every time!

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
What's interesting is when you go to the Tesla site it asks you to log in:

Then once you do it gives you a warning if you car isn't capable. My 2016 nosecone model S has this listed:
I have my 2019 M3 retrofitted. Did not received the error message like you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220921_142458_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220921_142458_Chrome.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 119
I bet they'll be all sold out by the time they offer the retrofit option. I can't buy it because it's not supported on my model 3. :(

No worries. According to the Tesla website you'll be able to get a hardware/software retrofit (if you want) in 2023. (Be here before you know it.) By that time, all the kinks should be worked out and you'll have a CCS1 adapter to sit, unused, in your trunk just like the rest of us. :)

Give EA a try. Go for the $4 dollar + option. Take your time when charging the first few times. Nothing beats the SC system for ease of use (or reliability) but do check the cost differences between the two systems. EA juice is now around .31 cents a kW.

Rich
Or free, like it has been in CA for like a week now? I've been milking it as much as I can ;)