Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The amount of V2 heads available vs a single DCFC (50 and above) is a lot more desirable. I’d venture to say on the order of maybe eight to ten L2’s vs the one DCFC.
The problem is they are either Tesla or Clipper Creek in which case the property owner must pay for the power which adds up over time, or they are ChargePoint or Blink and cost an arm and a leg upfront, and always break and no one feels the compunction to fix it.

If we could find a cheap way to blanket parking lots with chargers that could bill the person plugging in, that would be genius. {maybe check out the link}

The problem is they are either Tesla or Clipper Creek in which case the property owner must pay for the power which adds up over time, or they are ChargePoint or Blink and cost an arm and a leg upfront, and always break and no one feels the compunction to fix it.

If we could find a cheap way to blanket parking lots with chargers that could bill the person plugging in, that would be genius. {maybe check out the link}
OK I did follow the link and the product is reasonable in price. Looks like it would be ideal for apartment building installs.

Have you ever used one of these orange outlets ?

Looks like the Korean adapter is rated for 150kw but the North American says 250kw on the order page. Maybe there actually is a difference?
The Korean web page does not say 150kw, in fact it doesn't mention any KW that I can see.

The selling page (translated) and the support page (translated) only show
Rated:
500 Vd.c, 300 Ad.c.

Spec's are the same
Voltage 500V DC
Enclosure Rating IP44
Operating Temperature -22°F to +122°F (-30°C to +50°C)
Storage Temperature -40°F to +185°F (-40°C to +85°C)

What is the North American version part number?
The Korean one from the order page is 1656565-10-A

The Korean web page does not say 150kw, in fact it doesn't mention any KW that I can see.

Rated:
500 Vd.c, 300 Ad.c.

Spec's are the same
Voltage 500V DC
Enclosure Rating IP44
Operating Temperature -22°F to +122°F (-30°C to +50°C)
Storage Temperature -40°F to +185°F (-40°C to +85°C)

What is the North American version part number?
The Korean one from the order page is 1656565-10-A
Yes, 500v and 300 amp DC is 150kw which is why I find it interesting that they say 250kw for NA.
Someone that has received North American version can post a picture of the specs?

Here is the adapter I got from South Korea vs US

Attachments

• F7895911-697F-4BB1-8F17-08892CF7E490.jpeg
    F7895911-697F-4BB1-8F17-08892CF7E490.jpeg
    552.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DF02C091-50BE-4F69-8D37-2D00BF10406F.jpeg
    DF02C091-50BE-4F69-8D37-2D00BF10406F.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 76
Are public ccs chargers capable of 650a though? I thought their max was 500a or something like that.
Maybe these adapters will be used at the new css Supercharger then since we can confirm they are still 500vdc.
Maybe the Korean adapters won't be safe to use in that scenario?

Looks like the Korean adapter is rated for 150kw but the North American says 250kw on the order page. Maybe there actually is a difference?

Rated:
500 Vd.c, 300 Ad.c...

Yes, 500v and 300 amp DC is 150kw which is why I find it interesting that they say 250kw for NA...

Are public ccs chargers capable of 650a though? I thought their max was 500a or something like that...

An online volts to watts calculator confirms that 500 volts at 300 amps (DC) is 150 kW, whereas, for example, 500 volts at 500 amps (DC) is 250 kW.

So, this is intriguing.

Are there true, substantive (internal) differences between the South Korean (PN 1656565-10-A) and North American (PN 1656565-00-A) Tesla CCS1 adapters?

Or, are they basically the same product, but in the years since the original Korean introduction additional testing has adequately demonstrated (to Tesla and/or NA regulators) that the the adapter can (and has always been able to) safely handle higher power levels in Canada and the U.S.? Or perhaps Korean electrical reporting requirements are more stringent and electrical ratings have to be more conservatively reported there? Or something about the North American electrical grids differs from that in Korea, necessitating the different ratings? (Just speculating, here.)

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Or, are they basically the same product, but in the years since the original Korean introduction additional testing has demonstrated (to Tesla and/or NA regulators) that the the adapter can safely handle higher power levels in Canada and the U.S.?
Can't prove this, but I suspect the 300A is a continuous rating rather than peak. The cars typically don't sustain 250kW for very long. The adapter does have a thermal breaker built in, so theoretically it shouldn't be possible to get to dangerously hot temps regardless.

Would be curious if the weight between the US and Korean versions is any different

Can't prove this, but I suspect the 300A is a continuous rating rather than peak. The cars typically don't sustain 250kW for very long. The adapter does have a thermal breaker built in, so theoretically it shouldn't be possible to get to dangerously hot temps regardless.

Would be curious if the weight between the US and Korean versions is any different

Good point--i.e., potential difference between "continuous" versus "maximum" ratings. Anything available to confirm that hypothesis?

Yes, me too. Does the size of the (copper, I assume) internal connectors vary between the two (Korean and NA) versions?

BTW--and this is total speculation on my part, without any evidence--but I wonder if all aftermarket adapters use equally heavy internal connectors as the Tesla OEM adapter? Am I right in thinking I've read reports of warming (to the touch) during charging with some aftermarket adapters. Whereas the Tesla adapter stays neutral to the touch? (Granted, if true there could be more than one reason for that--e.g., size of contacts or clever use of internal thermal insulation.)

Not only would comparative bench-top dissection of Tesla and third-party adapters prove interesting (but expensive), but a much less destructive competitive "weigh-in" (in this case, the "winner" would probably be the heaviest adapter), might be very illuminating. (Any volunteers? To implement such a contest, I recommend taking a portable small-item scale to your local CCS1 charge station.)

Last edited:

I heard this interesting interview with some of the folks who started Orange Charger.