Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An online volts to watts calculator confirms that 500 volts at 300 amps (DC) is 150 kW, whereas, for example, 500 volts at 500 amps (DC) is 250 kW.

So, this is intriguing.

Are there true, substantive (internal) differences between the South Korean (PN 1656565-10-A) and North American (PN 1656565-00-A) Tesla CCS1 adapters?

Or, are they basically the same product, but in the years since the original Korean introduction additional testing has adequately demonstrated (to Tesla and/or NA regulators) that the the adapter can (and has always been able to) safely handle higher power levels in Canada and the U.S.? Or perhaps Korean electrical reporting requirements are more stringent and electrical ratings have to be more conservatively reported there? Or something about the North American electrical grids differs from that in Korea, necessitating the different ratings? (Just speculating, here.)
This whole topic is about a clear as mud!

I heard this interesting interview with some of the folks who started Orange Charger...

Interesting, yes. One thing I noticed: the Orange people acknowledge that the average person charges at home from an outlet. They also identify the NEMA 14-50 outlet as the most commonly-used home outlet. So people could charge at 240 volts at up to 40 amps (continuous) using that, if I remember correctly and be able to fully charge a Tesla overnight.

But the two outlets that Orange sells are only 16-amp (continuous) outlets.

I didn't listen to the whole interview (it's long). Are they planning to eventually offer more powerful outlets?

Also, they criticize wall connectors. I find that surprising and disingenuous.

Plus the outlets are really expensive ($350).

I don't know. It strikes me that Orange is offering (less powerful charging options, but with convenient electricity & money-management software) products to appeal to property owners (landlords, apartment managers), but not products that will actually help (Tesla) drivers charge quickly.

In summary, it seems to me that the Orange products are skewed to favor property owners and not electric car owners (who rent). And maybe that is the whole point of that (Orange) business model? Also, maybe the Orange customers are servicing properties with electric cars with smaller batteries that require less-powerful charging rates?

Reactions: Watts_Up
I didn't listen to the whole interview

I gave up after a couple of minutes, but I found the company website.

My guess is a nod to the practicality of trying to serve multiple EVs with one sub-panel that is limited to a feeder of 40 - 100 Amps. Honest to goodness power sharing is a lot more attractive to EV owners ... until they learn the price tag.

So far as I can tell, Orange is solving a couple of issues that crop up for MFD:
  • Energy monitoring for billing
  • Dedicated receptacles that only the 'owner' of each receptacle can use

Last edited:
@tps5352 ,

The more I think about the Orange receptacle, the more I like it as a low cost, low barrier to entry solution for MFD and workplace charging.

The US has long favored expensive, turn-key EVSE solutions for public charging (ChargePoint, e.g.) When they work, they are certainly convenient. Orange is taking a feather out of the UK's cap by taking the opposite tack and saying that the EV owner brings his/her own EVSE. All that is provided is a receptacle and monitoring/billing/control.

ChargePoint (CP) installs 1 - 4 connectors. Orange is suggesting that an entire row of parking spaces be outfitted with receptacles for the same CP cost.

Reactions: swaltner
What I am wondering is if someone would do a charging comparison between the Korean and US model.

I bet zero difference. Korea ones already handle the fastest chargers (Delta 350kw, 540a) in NA, there is no room to improve, only downgrade, and I doubt US model is a downgrade, since 250kw is in the description.

What’s more interesting is to compare the weight and sticker specs. Maybe in the future when we have 600a~700a CCS, we could see some difference.

Reactions: KJD and XPsionic
Here is the new NA Tesla CCS1 adapter label. It weighs approx.1.8 lbs. I don't have a small scale to be more accurate. The box it came in is identical to the one that was previously shipping in South Korea. I would say it's exactly the same.

image0.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is the new NA Tesla CCS1 adapter label. It weighs approx.1.8 lbs. I don't have a small scale to be more accurate. The box it came in is identical to the one that was previously shipping in South Korea. I would say it's exactly the same.

View attachment 856526

So same weight. Sticker different. Doesn’t say amp, but 250kw instead of 150kw. I still say they are the same, but updated sticker.

I have 2021/oct mode 3, and for me, the CCA support says “not installed” so I decided to do DIY approach and installed the gem 4 ECU module (1537264-00-B) and CCS is enabled now, but now Tesla is providing a retrofit part number 1652005-00-A,
My question is, what is the new part? Is it an ECU module? What should I do with my DIY approach?

So same weight. Sticker different. Doesn’t say amp, but 250kw instead of 150kw. I still say they are the same, but updated sticker.
I agree, with the weight being the same, I doubt there's any true difference. My bet is the 300A is either a continuous rating or the Korean standard is just more strict.

Everyone will have a different comfort level I suppose, but as someone who owns the Korean variant, I see no reason to go out of my way to buy a US one.