Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way they word it is very confusing. They say: "our adapter is designed by Tesla OEM one". Leaves some room for to be a clone, that is not necessarily Pegatron made (manufacturer of the Tesla adapter which is making them in Taiwan). I talked about this before upthread, I would say the chances of a Taiwan manufacturer selling these out the back door is much lower than if it was made in mainland China. It seems more likely this is a clone.

Yeah this is probably a clone. How risky do you think would trying this clone be? I think the adapter is passive, so if they can reverse engineer the hardware they can create a good product. China is notorious for cloning products that are 99% as good as the original.

Supposedly Tesla is cancelling any orders that are successfully placed if they think the SK address given is a proxy's. I think the SK->US CCS1 adapter train has forever been derailed.

Unfortunately it seems like Tesla is eliminating every possibility. I agree that this ship has sailed. We may need to rely on the Chinese clone until Tesla starts selling the branded adapters in the US if they ever will.

Ugh this sucks! I'd like to have one for an upcoming road trip but don't want to pay an arm and leg for one. I did order the A2Z adapter which is supposed to start shipping next week so hopefully they'll come thru.
I bought the genuine CCS from Tesla because they may update the software which can brick others.

I came back from a 3k road trip and can tell you it’s helpful in situations where Superchangers aren’t available and level 2 is too slow. However Electrify America and many free chargers are still not reliable. I carried a 14-50 along JIC, and it’s available for order from Tesla without the price hike if you check frequently.

So you have never charged above 60%? Though I've gotten way lower than 100kW below 50%.

Of course, but I didn't start from that high. Average kw was still close to 100.

It does not, they base it on vehicle capabilities. From Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America:
I've heard this said, but I'm not aware of ccs actually reporting this value to the unit. I think the protocol just requests the max that it can take for its current condition.

It'd be easy enough to test, but I don't have a suitable location near me.

There is nothing to brick. It is a passive adapter. You can twist wires together to make your own. Only have to worry about the quality of the connection and sufficient cross sectional area of the conductors to make sure it doesn't overheat and melt with 100kw+ charging.

Reactions: spokey and jsight
I have the Chademo adapter from my model three and picked up the Korean CSS adapter.

They’ve both come in handy a few times…

My mother lives in New Jersey and you would think that there would actually be lots of Tesla chargers… But they’ve only begun to sprout up recently.

So you have never charged above 60%? Though I've gotten way lower than 100kW below 50%.

It does not, they base it on vehicle capabilities. From Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America:

As long as the vehicle says it is capable of more it gets charged at that rate even if it only asks for way less.
I am basing it on what I had while charging the other day. Yes I do think that you are better off charging at a low state of charge at the EA chargers vs. Superchargers. It looks like about half the cost using the EA and CCS. Basically we went from Lexington, SC to Leeds, AL, picked up the kids and came right back. We had similar charges in kWh's.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-182744.png
    Screenshot_20220730-182744.png
    310.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20220730-183826.png
    Screenshot_20220730-183826.png
    431.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220803-220508.png
    Screenshot_20220803-220508.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20220803-220620.png
    Screenshot_20220803-220620.png
    258.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20220803-220649.png
    Screenshot_20220803-220649.png
    260 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20220803-220713.png
    Screenshot_20220803-220713.png
    272.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20220803-220728.png
    Screenshot_20220803-220728.png
    277.1 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: jsight
I've heard this said, but I'm not aware of ccs actually reporting this value to the unit. I think the protocol just requests the max that it can take for its current condition.
People have reported that their EA charge sessions note the maximum the car is capable of not the maximum that their car asked for or received.

Note this example where EA reported a 244 kW max when he was using one of their 150 kW chargers:
I found a guy on eBay that had some of these, new and still the box. Just tested it out on my 2022 Model S and was getting 358 mi/hr charge from a 150kw Electrify America charger. Very happy!

1659579752337.png

Reactions: jsight
People have reported that their EA charge sessions note the maximum the car is capable of not the maximum that their car asked for or received.

Note this example where EA reported a 244 kW max when he was using one of their 150 kW chargers:
Yeah, I now think you are right. I looked back at the invoices and it shows mine is capable of "215 kw". I really don't have any idea how they derived that, but it does seem to be what they use for billing.

Thanks for the correction.

I am basing it on what I had while charging the other day. Yes I do think that you are better off charging at a low state of charge at the EA chargers vs. Superchargers. It looks like about half the cost using the EA and CCS. Basically we went from Lexington, SC to Leeds, AL, picked up the kids and came right back. We had similar charges in kWh's.
@Pcutter did you enroll into the $4/month Pass+ Membership ?

There is not too much additional information on the website, so I wonder if you tried to only get the Pass+ membership for few months?

If so, was it easy easy to cancel it after few months or did you have to pay the monthly fee may be for a year, unless cancelling your account?

There is not too much additional information on the website, so I wonder if you tried to only get the Pass+ membership for few months?

If so, was it easy easy to cancel it after few months or did you have to pay the monthly fee may be for a year, unless cancelling your account?
Pass+ is a month to month subscription. You can sign-up, pay your $4, and then cancel and enjoy it for the rest of the month: Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America

How do I switch from one membership type to another?
In the app, go to “Plan details” and follow the prompts to upgrade to Pass+ or to change plan types.
Please note that a request to change from Pass+ to Pass membership will go into effect on the first day of the next billing cycle, which coincides with the monthly anniversary of your sign-up date.

Reactions: jsight and Watts_Up
Well it finally happened, I ordered the new CCS1 adapter from A2Z EV a couple days ago and it was finally shipped today. I'm so excited to try it. Will post a review as soon as possible. Basically it a simple pass through adapter, I'm pretty much confident. They even sent me a picture of my package.
Not sure if 3D printed adapter is safe to use or not since I have no experience/knowledge of 3D printed material.

Well it finally happened, I ordered the new CCS1 adapter from A2Z EV a couple days ago and it was finally shipped today. I'm so excited to try it. Will post a review as soon as possible. Basically it a simple pass through adapter, I'm pretty much confident. They even sent me a picture of my package.
Awesome! I ordered from A2Z as well and was told mine is in the first batch of shipments. No tracking yet though