Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ccs and future connection standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the other manufacturers not need these to deliver a decent network to sell their cars?

I don't think anyone should need to ... Tesla as first-mover had to, and turns out that they have carried on doing so because a) nothing much actually happened anywhere and b) its been, and continued to be, a great selling point.

Case in point pretty much ZERO 100+kW charging available in the UK for iPace / eTron etc. to use ... Chicken-and-Egg ...

So new Superchargers will be CCS only then ... and take other paying-customer-brands maybe?

Noone took Tesla up on Supercharger use, but that would have required that Brand to use Tesla proprietary charger plug. Now that Tesla EU has CCS stalls no reason not to off to other brands ... Tesla could use the money.

The Superchargers have a CCS connector, but they still speak the proprietary Supercharger protocol not CCS. So third-party cars would not be able to use them without the Supercharger sites being retro-fitted to actually be CCS capable.

You also get a Type-2 cable (I assume that is still standard), and optionally you can buy an "end" for 3-Phase Commando, and a Schuko for EU - although there has been chatter that you might be better off with a more DIY adaptor so you can swap Live-and-Neutral if you wind up somewhere in France that is wired back-to-front (my In-laws place in France was ...)

Probably you know what you meant here, but for clarity to new readers:

There's two completely different cables that have been supplied 'free' with the car - some people got only one or the other, but I think current deliveries get both:
  • A Type2-Type2 cable. This is a simple dumb cable with Type2 connectors on each end and nothing in the middle. It's used for plugging into socketed chargepoints - so almost all public slow charging apart from Tesla's Destination Charging, and optionally at home if you choose to get a socketed rather than tethered chargepoint installed there.
  • The "Tesla Mobile Connector" (sometimes called UMC). This has a type2 connector on one end to go to the car, a box in the middle with safety circuitry, and a number of adapters that can be plugged into the other end to fit various kinds of standard (non-EV) socket. Its primary purpose is plugging into domestic sockets in places you visit without charging - you get the UK 13A plug adapter as standard.
Among other adapters, Tesla sell a "Schuko" (Germany etc.) and a "France". These actually look identical, and the "France" is perfectly OK for use in Germany; you need BOTH of them for France. The trick here is that in german sockets (earth contact on the side) the plug will fit either way round, so if it doesn't work one way you try again the other way up; in France the sockets have an earth pin in the middle that makes the plug only fit one way, so if you need it the other way round you use the other adapter (which has the wiring reversed). Alternatively, you take just one of them and a French->german extension lead so you can use that to do the reversing. Or you take a screwdriver...

I've heard that Model 3 comes with a new-generation UMC that only does single phase, but I'm not sure of the details.

Probably you know what you meant here, but for clarity to new readers:

There's two completely different cables that have been supplied 'free' with the car - some people got only one or the other, but I think current deliveries get both:
  • A Type2-Type2 cable. This is a simple dumb cable with Type2 connectors on each end and nothing in the middle. It's used for plugging into socketed chargepoints - so almost all public slow charging apart from Tesla's Destination Charging, and optionally at home if you choose to get a socketed rather than tethered chargepoint installed there.
  • The "Tesla Mobile Connector" (sometimes called UMC). This has a type2 connector on one end to go to the car, a box in the middle with safety circuitry, and a number of adapters that can be plugged into the other end to fit various kinds of standard (non-EV) socket. Its primary purpose is plugging into domestic sockets in places you visit without charging - you get the UK 13A plug adapter as standard.
Among other adapters, Tesla sell a "Schuko" (Germany etc.) and a "France". These actually look identical, and the "France" is perfectly OK for use in Germany; you need BOTH of them for France. The trick here is that in german sockets (earth contact on the side) the plug will fit either way round, so if it doesn't work one way you try again the other way up; in France the sockets have an earth pin in the middle that makes the plug only fit one way, so if you need it the other way round you use the other adapter (which has the wiring reversed). Alternatively, you take just one of them and a French->german extension lead so you can use that to do the reversing. Or you take a screwdriver...

I've heard that Model 3 comes with a new-generation UMC that only does single phase, but I'm not sure of the details.

The 2019 demo car I tried had both. And the 32a commando adapter too. All still wrapped in plastic in the front, so they appeared to come with that car rather than just be dropped in for demo use. Would be nice if all that came with the car but at the end of the day these are relatively modestly priced items one would reasonably choose to buy and keep even if they're only "just in case". I expect I'll buy CCS too at the outset. Value pretty immaterial against a £80k car! If the chademo is much bulkier, more expensive and arguably no more useful, maybe even harder to use too, then for CCS to replace it looks like a big positive to me.