Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, except any of those EVGo stations with built in Chademo adapters that might still be around... Maybe they'll all get removed but if they're not broken is EVGo really going to proactively remove them? They'd still be useful for old Teslas.

And who knows maybe Chargepoint makes a deal with Tesla to support Tesla protocol on some new chargers. That's not impossible!
Folks, all of this discussions on protocols and standards is way more complicated that it really is. Basically, there's a circuit that's needed on the car and the charger that can talk to each other. CHAdeMO, CCS1, and NACS are all different. The circuit only needs to provide basically a "I'm ready to charge" indication to the relays to engage. And that's the relays in the car as well as the relays in the pedestal.
It's a little more complicated than that, as the circuit is also doing things like monitoring the current state of charge, but not much more.
On the non-Tesla chargers, they are already built to handle multiple protocols, another one isn't a big deal and at worse probably requires changes to the GUI.
But it's really not a big deal, which is why they have been so quick to accept the connector.
CCS, CAM. PLC? All mostly just hardware/software that present the same data at the next level. It's like Ethernet vs WiFi.

The circuit only needs to provide basically a "I'm ready to charge" indication to the relays to engage. And that's the relays in the car as well as the relays in the pedestal.
No, the car's BMS is constantly telling the DC fast charger to supply x volts at y amps, and the charger has to adjust the power output to match. (And that is after all the negotiation and testing prior to putting HV on the cable.) It is not just a "I'm ready to charge" indication, like pretty much applies to AC charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
No, the car's BMS is constantly telling the DC fast charger to supply x volts at y amps, and the charger has to adjust the power output to match. (And that is after all the negotiation and testing prior to putting HV on the cable.) It is not just a "I'm ready to charge" indication, like pretty much applies to AC charging.
Yes, it is a little more complex, as I alluded to, but it significantly simpler that the thread alluded to. It's all mostly a simple hardware or software translation that is relatively simple compared to most anything else.

Still no traction as of July 28th. I’m guessing they’re keeping production capacity to ramp up NACS adapter production for GM and Ford (that will drive income whereas CCS retrofit is just a matter of doing the right thing for Tesla owners)

Still no traction as of July 28th. I’m guessing they’re keeping production capacity to ramp up NACS adapter production for GM and Ford (that will drive income whereas CCS retrofit is just a matter of doing the right thing for Tesla owners)
The adapters are passive and non-Tesla's already come with the CCS chip.

At this point we're at the inverse of Hanlon's razor - Tesla wants to keep as many vehicles as possible locked into their ecosystem, for no other reason than corporate greed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
At this point we're at the inverse of Hanlon's razor - Tesla wants to keep as many vehicles as possible locked into their ecosystem, for no other reason than corporate greed.
Then why is the CCS retrofit available for the Model S and Model X? (Maybe because they had already developed the retrofit for European models, and they could just use that.) They need to design and produce multiple retrofit kits for the various Model 3s, and Model Ys?, that are out there. And it isn't really the most pressing issue they need to devote engineering resources to.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Then why is the CCS retrofit available for the Model S and Model X? (Maybe because they had already developed the retrofit for European models, and they could just use that.) They need to design and produce multiple retrofit kits for the various Model 3s, and Model Ys?, that are out there. And it isn't really the most pressing issue they need to devote engineering resources to.
What you’re saying makes sense I suppose. The cynic in me can’t shake the idea that it’s a bit of a customer “tier” type of thing. People are going the DIY route so seemingly all that’s needed is more ECUs to be produced and a wiring harness ? Hopefully it’s just around the corner , heading on road trip where chargers are mostly CCS , would be great to have CCS as fallback.

What you’re saying makes sense I suppose. The cynic in me can’t shake the idea that it’s a bit of a customer “tier” type of thing. People are going the DIY route so seemingly all that’s needed is more ECUs to be produced and a wiring harness ? Hopefully it’s just around the corner , heading on road trip where chargers are mostly CCS , would be great to have CCS as fallback.
The DIY "bundle of wires" is basically a hack; it also contains a couple of resistors. If I remember correctly, it's meant to get around the fact that the updated charge port (not the ECU) does not have the components that the Gen4 ECU thinks should be out there.

Because there are so few S/X's out there in comparison and it's good business sense to keep buyers of your high margin products happy.

There's nothing to develop; you could probably rent (or temporarily steal) a 2023 model 3, swap the components and the other vehicles owner would be none the wiser until they tried a CCS or NACS retrofit station.

• Funny
Reactions: wws
There's nothing to develop; you could probably rent (or temporarily steal) a 2023 model 3, swap the components and the other vehicles owner would be none the wiser until they tried a CCS or NACS retrofit station.
For the later model vehicles that is true. The the ones prior to about mid 2021, they need a new charge port ECU. The one in the 2023 Model 3 won't work with the version of the charge port in older Model 3s. (Which is why they need the "bundle of wires, resistors, and board". Which is a hack and make the thermal monitoring imprecise.) I doubt Tesla will go with a harness adapter, they will develop a version of the charge port ECU that works directly with the older charge port. (Or possibly make a kit that replaces the charge port as well as the ECU.)

Reactions: Allx
That's not Hanlon's Razor. That's an asinine conspiracy theory. You want to go with something straightforward? Take a look at their online store. Half the products in it are out of stock on any given day. They run extremely lean and "just in time" on their accessory supply chain. It seems likely that they haven't made enough supply to begin offering this for a very high volume car like the 3 or Y yet.

That's not Hanlon's Razor. That's an asinine conspiracy theory. You want to go with something straightforward? Take a look at their online store. Half the products in it are out of stock on any given day. They run extremely lean and "just in time" on their accessory supply chain. It seems likely that they haven't made enough supply to begin offering this for a very high volume car like the 3 or Y yet.
The part became available for new cars over two years ago, as did the Setec adapter, which clearly demonstrated there was incredible demand. At this point some form of malice or at the very least indifference is the only credible explanation.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H