Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They do have CCS chargers in the nav in Europe and Australia, but it seems they haven't rolled it out to North America yet. (Or there are no CCS chargers that meet the requirements to be listed.)

Given those requirements, and that for example EA charges significantly more than Tesla, I wouldn't think enough Tesla drivers are using them to get the data necessary for them to be listed.

They probably got a lot of good data last year when EA had the system issue and the chargers were in free mode. But my success rate was below 90% on all of the EA sites I attempted to use to take advantage of the free electricity.
Fair enough. They should at least add a manual precondition option then.

1709760422447.png

Different, lower 3/Y pricing is back. So hopefully some movement soon. And a good sign that the retrofit will be $100 cheaper than expected!

Hi guys,

I took a shot and put an ad hoc CCS retrofit service request for Battery & Charging last night for my MYLR and to my pleasant surprise Tesla accepted it. A ranger came this morning and performed the upgrade in my driveway in about 30 mins. He said this was his first MY, but the process was “easy”.

Anyway, it cost $373.19 which includes a Tesla CCS1 adapter.

The ranger came from the Paramus, NJ service center and couldn’t have been nicer.

I suppose it’s possible the service centers will do this if they have time and it’s convenient so maybe I just got lucky. Who knows.

May the force be with you,
Jon

Hi guys,

I took a shot and put an ad hoc CCS retrofit service request for Battery & Charging last night for my MYLR and to my pleasant surprise Tesla accepted it. A ranger came this morning and performed the upgrade in my driveway in about 30 mins. He said this was his first MY, but the process was “easy”.
What year is your MYLR? I got our 2022 MYLR upgrade nearly a year ago but I'm still waiting for the upgrade to be available for our 2018 Model 3.

Buying the module and installing it yourself is a simple task. It took me about 30 minutes on my 2021 M3.
I prefer to keep Tesla in the loop to be sure there is warranty coverage, even on our old car that is out of warranty. Its only $350.
I put in a service request. So far it is moving through but I've been here before and it got cancelled as soon as a human started actually preparing for the visit.

I prefer to keep Tesla in the loop to be sure there is warranty coverage, even on our old car that is out of warranty. Its only $350.
I put in a service request. So far it is moving through but I've been here before and it got cancelled as soon as a human started actually preparing for the visit.
That's fine if Tesla doesn't cancel the appointment again. After two years of nothing but Tesla dragging their feet while they installed the same part on new cars, I got tired of waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

That's fine if Tesla doesn't cancel the appointment again. After two years of nothing but Tesla dragging their feet while they installed the same part on new cars, I got tired of waiting. And waiting. And waiting.
I fully understand. We have a CHAdeMO adapter and most stations still have CHAdeMO. Since the chargers are all unreliable, I'm ok with waiting longer for a Tesla CCS solution. After all, we seldom use anything but home charging and Superchargers on the road.

Reactions: Rocky_H
My car requires a harness adapter as well. Not all the same, and I could use a bundle of wires but I'd rather go with the Tesla solution just in case.
Sadly I think for us older folks (and I mean the cars that are most likely fully out of warranty and require the wire bundle as well as the module) it’s ~ 200-250 extra money well spent to have Tesla install it all with OEM parts and if it screws up charging, supercharging or CCS charging well they probably would have to own that.

And even then, net net it’s probably really net ~ 100-150$ more than buying the module and wire bundle oneself etc., not including time.

Last edited: