Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have picked one up for a 'just in case' and a few road trips I might be planning from Canada to US over summer but when I looked over weekend I noticed my MYLR delivered in November 2021 doesn't have it installed which I'm disappointed in but not a lot I can do about that

I would have picked one up for a 'just in case' and a few road trips I might be planning from Canada to US over summer but when I looked over weekend I noticed my MYLR delivered in November 2021 doesn't have it installed which I'm disappointed in but not a lot I can do about that
There is plenty of superchargers along freeways. I am new to Tesla, but I have talked with many who have owned Tesla's for years and never charged outside of home and superchargers. If need be one can use the J1772 adapter that comes with the Tesla. The J1772 adapter is compatible with most Level 2 public charging stations and supports charging speeds up to 19.2 KW. These are commonly found at charge point, hotels etc. A CCS adapter would have enabled high speed charging at many non Tesla locations. I think Tesla is reluctant to lose business at super charging and is dragging its feet. In Europe and China they are required to have CCS charging option standard with the vehicle. CCS is becoming the standard in Europe.

• Disagree
Reactions: kayak1
There is plenty of superchargers along freeways. I am new to Tesla, but I have talked with many who have owned Tesla's for years and never charged outside of home and superchargers. If need be one can use the J1772 adapter that comes with the Tesla. The J1772 adapter is compatible with most Level 2 public charging stations and supports charging speeds up to 19.2 KW. These are commonly found at charge point, hotels etc. A CCS adapter would have enabled high speed charging at many non Tesla locations. I think Tesla is reluctant to lose business at super charging and is dragging its feet. In Europe and China they are required to have CCS charging option standard with the vehicle. CCS is becoming the standard in Europe.
Most of the current models can't charge at 19.2kW AC most current models are limited to 11..5kW AC. In your travels, you will find that public J1772 stations are in the ~6kW range.

Plenty of locations that will have much better coverage by having a CCS adapter. I suspect that we will see the CCS1 adapter available in the USA in limited quantify n the next 90 days or so.

Most of the current models can't charge at 19.2kW AC most current models are limited to 11..5kW AC. In your travels, you will find that public J1772 stations are in the ~6kW range.

Plenty of locations that will have much better coverage by having a CCS adapter. I suspect that we will see the CCS1 adapter available in the USA in limited quantify n the next 90 days or so.
None of my travels are off the interstate or to areas with no superchargers. Would I like to have a CCS adapter? Yes for sure. But I am not holding my breath. It was promised last October/November coming soon. I doubt it will come in the next 90 days, specially now with China again shut down. Tesla stopped selling the CHAdeMO adapters before they came out with CCS. They get more business for supercharges. In China and Europe they are required to provide CCS as standard. So Tesla provides both their own proprietary and also CCS.

“ None of my travels are off the interstate or to areas with no superchargers. Would I like to have a CCS adapter? Yes for sure. But I am not holding my breath”.

We take 3 to 4 long road trips a year (3 to MD and 1 go WI) and we have great SC’er coverage. And they keep adding more along our routes. But as age 70 we don’t wander as much as we did.

I have been checking the website every day for months now. I'd like the CCS adapter as well, for convenience sake. There are a few spots I go to regularly with relatively small access to SC's (Cape Cod, which I visit every summer, only has 3 locations). But I only want the Tesla brand. Hopefully it is reasonably priced. I'll keep checking....

China has its own GB/T standard, not CCS. but yes, Tesla is required to equip both ports on the cars sold in china since 2017 I believe. SC network is way better than other DC chargers, so most time people only use Tesla port.
The cars in China have two ports, that's true, but they're both GB/T. One port is for AC charging and the other is for DC charging. Tesla Superchargers in China use the GB/T DC connector.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I noticed that there is no Electrify America stations in Canada.

So which CCS network do you use or recommend in Canada?

I noticed that there is no Electrify America stations in Canada.

So which CCS network do you use or recommend in Canada?
Uh, Electrify Canada? ;)

I laughed out loud at @miimura 's comment....

But yeah. Canada had separate settlement with VW over the diesel gate scandal, and operates a charge network known as Electrify Canada. Why does EC/EA not show cross border chargers, my guess is because they don't accidentally want to route you across an international border just so you can charge your car.

Screenshot_20220615-235426_Chrome.jpg

Pietro-Canada also has a network east to west. (or west to east)

Uh, Electrify Canada? ;)
Thank you, I created an account, it would have been simpler to have a link to be able to use the same App and personal info.

This will be a good complement to the Tesla Superchargers when visiting tourist spots between Victoria Island and Calgary.

Note: I was thinking that Canada was part of America !!!

About the remaining of the Trans-Canada Highway, what CCS network would you use?

I did end up buying the Tesla CCS adapter from Korea. A company does one stop purchase and delivers in 10 business days. I also saw a few youtube videos on people who have used this adapter. I am yet to try mine at Electrify American but plan to do so in the next 1 week. The below link is where I bought it from. This is not referral link. Just the link to the product.

Reactions: kayak1 and tdeno