Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit & Supercharging Issue

What charge rate do you get at a supercharger?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I have recently bought a used 2015 Model S 70D from Tesla and today had a CCS Retrofitted by Tesla and yet when I went to the supercharger the maximum charge rate was 35 KW.

This was the same maximum as I had a week ago before the CCS was done when I used Type 2 Supercharging.

Tesla Servicing are saying “this is normal” but how can it be normal to only get 35KW on a supercharger, especially on two occasions, and both times were very quiet and I was on my own charging station.

If anyone has suggestions I’m all ears? Also when I tried to charge on a non supercharger with the new CCS it said “DC charging hardware not enabled” and yet I’ve just spent £425 for the privilege.

My wife’s suggesting we sell the Tesla and buy a normal car that actually works as she’s starting to feel like this is a hassle especially with supercharging at 35KW = 112 miles of range added per hour.

Please can you vote to help me provide to Tesla that 35KW is far from normal. Thanks!

Attachments

• 14A2A769-8A0B-4C06-8F1B-4FD7918FA524.jpeg
    14A2A769-8A0B-4C06-8F1B-4FD7918FA524.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 126
Here is a nice article I keep in my favorites.

Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update

That will show you, out of real life measures what to expect by battery type.

As mentioned above: high charging rate happens when your battery is almost drained.

You’re new to ev and you made a good decision by my book : don’t give up, Tesla driving is just brilliant.
But maybe change your habit: if you can, charge overnight at home, so that you leave every morning with a full charge (80 or 90% as needed).
Don’t consider SuC like a petrol station. SuC is only needed when you drive more than what the 90% provides or when traveling long distance. And so indeed use them when low on charge. The battery level is quite more accurate than what you have in petrol cars, so you can drive to 5% and below. Just remember that 0 means 0 ;)

Note: the css error message is probably Tesla not completely finishing the work. Contact them: they missed some configuration, that can probably be fixed remotely.

both times were very quiet and I was on my own charging station.
How busy was the supercharging site when you charged? Were you sharing a paired stall with another car?
Really?

You only get the high speed charging at lower states of charge. The closer to full you are the slower it goes.
I'm going to emphasize this. This is the nature of how lithium ion batteries work. They cannot charge at fastest rate all the way up to 100%. That would destroy them. They have a continual gradual tapering curve where the charging gets slower as it gets fuller. I know this is new information to people who have not had an electric car before.

My wife’s suggesting we sell the Tesla and buy a normal car that actually works as she’s starting to feel like this is a hassle especially with supercharging at 35KW = 112 miles of range added per hour.
Not understanding how something works is not the fault of the car.