Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console now standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a one piece unit

Center console .png

This kind of a weird question but has anyone seen one of these new consoles live? Yes it's there in the design center in a composited image, but until it actually shows up in a delivered (or demo) car, we don't actually know for sure that it exists, right?

I have see one in an X and it's really nice. I have seen an older one in an S loaner and I did like it but I also like the open space of the yacht floor area.

While I definitely am a no-console guy, I do like how the Honda Odyssey has a completely removable console. The big upside to that, aside from just removing it when you don't want it there, is that you can clean much better. Hopefully this console is removable or optional at some point.

Reactions: HookBill
The rear headrests look taller in the new picture. At first I thought it was the angle of the shot but looking at the proportions of how much head rest is below the top of the seat level vs above the top of the seat level, it's definitely taller.

No center console was a stupid idea. Credit to them for thinking outside the box but sometimes that results in bad design. Guess Tesla agrees.
Maybe for you, but many of us liked the open design which was consistent with the minimalist interior of the Model S. People who wanted a console could add it. Most do not need one when they stopped to think about it-- we don't carry maps, cassette tapes, CDs, or change in our cars any more. Glasses fit easily in the shelf under the MCU. Adding the console is another step in the homogenization of the Model S, like moving the battery meter off to the corner and replacing it with the more familiar but less useful odometer. It's to appeal to the masses who are cross-shopping it with ICEs rather than to the early adopter tech types, unfortunately.

The rear headrests look taller in the new picture. At first I thought it was the angle of the shot but looking at the proportions of how much head rest is below the top of the seat level vs above the top of the seat level, it's definitely taller.

The center headrest also appears to be shorter than the outside (presumably for visibility), which supports the theory that there might be a change.

The center headrest also appears to be shorter than the outside (presumably for visibility), which supports the theory that there might be a change.

Correct for both, the outside headrests are taller. You can tell by the inner stitched area, seems like a stretched version of the center one. You can also see that the center one has more space below that same center stitched area. Same size as the front seats.

Maybe for you, but many of us liked the open design which was consistent with the minimalist interior of the Model S. People who wanted a console could add it. Most do not need one when they stopped to think about it-- we don't carry maps, cassette tapes, CDs, or change in our cars any more. Glasses fit easily in the shelf under the MCU. Adding the console is another step in the homogenization of the Model S, like moving the battery meter off to the corner and replacing it with the more familiar but less useful odometer. It's to appeal to the masses who are cross-shopping it with ICEs rather than to the early adopter tech types, unfortunately.
Yes or No on the center console is a personal preference. It always reminded me of this. Look at all that open space with no clutter .

51f8b163128a5a094ce2f76694826e7e.jpg

I think the center console in our X is nice--especially since it's the car we take the kids in and we need a place to put things. However, in our S I love having the open space as it's a great spot to put my temporary things such as my iPad, notebook, lock boxes, take-out bags, etc. It would be nice if it was an option.