Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update from Japan. I personally encounter relatively high rate of adapter incompatibilities with CHAdeMO adapter. Yesterday I tried three locations and two didn't work. Today I tried three and one didn't work.
Thanks for the update and keeping this thread more on topic. When it doesn't work do you get symptomatic error messages that you are able share with Telsa and have they let you know if others have encountered the same problems and fixes are in the works. I see you resported an update on 25-Oct-2014
On Friday Tesla Japan gave me a firmware update of the CHAdeMO adapter.

So after all of this time, and even after shipping CHAdeMO in a country where it's essentially required, Tesla still can't get it to work properly?

Are the same people who are in charge of the center console also in charge of the CHAdeMO? Seems like it. Who is the manager overseeing this project? Someone needs an adjustment.

So after all of this time, and even after shipping CHAdeMO in a country where it's essentially required, Tesla still can't get it to work properly?

Are the same people who are in charge of the center console also in charge of the CHAdeMO? Seems like it. Who is the manager overseeing this project? Someone needs an adjustment.
I think this speaks more to a problem with Chademo (and its multiple implementations) than Tesla. Aren't you glad Tesla developed it's own standard for fast DC charging that uses the same port that is used for AC charging?

Given the CHAdeMO spec has both digital and analog interfaces that the adapter must emulate, it's significantly more complex than the center console (and J1772-AC which some EV have compatibility issues, including the RAV4EV). Also, it only became an official IEC standard in March of this year (and before that published as a Japanese JIS standard in late 2012), so there was many years where it operated as a completely proprietary/closed standard which Tesla didn't have access to (as Tesla is not part of the CHAdeMO association).

I think this speaks more to a problem with Chademo (and its multiple implementations) than Tesla. Aren't you glad Tesla developed it's own standard for fast DC charging that uses the same port that is used for AC charging?

Given the CHAdeMO spec has both digital and analog interfaces that the adapter must emulate, it's significantly more complex than the center console (and J1772-AC which some EV have compatibility issues, including the RAV4EV). Also, it only became an official IEC standard in March of this year (and before that published as a Japanese JIS standard in late 2012), so there was many years where it operated as a completely proprietary/closed standard which Tesla didn't have access to (as Tesla is not part of the CHAdeMO association).

Thank you for this information, I had no idea that CHAdeMO was so complicated and convoluted a standard. I'm so glad Tesla threw away the legacy baggage and invented a sleek and fast protocol without any baggage. By the time this thing is fully debugged, nobody will need it.

Thanks for the update and keeping this thread more on topic. When it doesn't work do you get symptomatic error messages that you are able share with Telsa and have they let you know if others have encountered the same problems and fixes are in the works. I see you resported an update on 25-Oct-2014
Error messages are different from time to time, but I usually get CHAdeMO error or something like that. I also have gotten electrical isolation failure as well. Sometimes charging just stops.
It seems Tesla knows what's happening from the logs, but they don't tell me which firmware fixes which bug, this firmware makes this charger works, avoid this manufacturer etc. I just need to keep trying.

Do other cars w/ CHAdeMO, such as the Leaf and i3, also have these issues?
I've done maybe 25-30 CHAdeMO quick charges and only had one fail, and it was because fixed in just a few minutes when Aerovironment "remotely rebooted" the charging station. However, this is only at around 48 KW that slows down after about 15 min. I've only waited for a DCQC station once, so they weren't really being pushed to the limit.

Except the Peugeot iOn and Citroen C-Zero, both of which are sold in Europe with CHAdeMO charging.
Both of those are essentially rebadged Mitsubishi iMIEVs, so they are exceptions. Notably the Renault Zoe doesn't have CHAdeMO (even with the whole Renault/Nissan partnership).

As for CHAdeMO charge failures in general, I think a bulk of them are issues with the charger itself, not really a compatibility issue between the cars and charger. Whereas here, it's more likely compatibility issues.

The iMIEV in particular, was the test car for CHAdeMO before it was even officially named CHAdeMO (back then it was just a TEPCO standard). So I highly doubt there are compatibility issues still present for that car. The Leaf is the most popular EV in the world and Nissan is currently the biggest contributor to CHAdeMO, so I also doubt there will be much compatibility issues with that car either.

Last edited:
It is really sad and unfortunate that the government couldn't standardize this. In the long run, having charging stations with 5 different plugs for 5 different brands will not scale.

Its really great and fortunate that the free market created several connector choices and the best one (Tesla) is floating to the top. In the end the market decides. I'm grateful Tesla wasn't "forced" to use a poor standard. "an Elephant is a mouse designed by committee".