Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw the CHAdeMO port for the first time at the VW/Audi research lab in Belmont, CA recently while using the accompanying SAE-Combo for our VW e-Golf. What a monstrosity!! The SAE-Combo looks far more "elegant" in contrast.

That said, I got on the wait list for the adapter back in 04/2014. At $450, it's probably worth it given the relative density of CHAdeMO stations in the urban parts of NorCal and SoCal. It may be of use more often than the $1,500 twin charger I have now.

I got on the wait list 10/11/13 and got order invite on Thursday 02/05. The adapter is in the area and I may try and pick it up today on hold at FedEx. I'll post some unboxing picture when I do! This will come in really handy here in the Pacific Northwest and will make trips to the Oregon Coast more comfortable.

Got it today but not tried yet because a lot of rain here
image.jpg

Would someone get a picture of the label, specifically the ratings on the North American CHAdeMO adapter and post it here?

It looks like it has a maximum current limit of 125 Amps, which is consistent with many CHAdeMO chargers that have a limit of 50kW and 125 Amps.

Saw the CHAdeMO port for the first time at the VW/Audi research lab in Belmont, CA recently while using the accompanying SAE-Combo for our VW e-Golf. What a monstrosity!! The SAE-Combo looks far more "elegant" in contrast.

That said, I got on the wait list for the adapter back in 04/2014. At $450, it's probably worth it given the relative density of CHAdeMO stations in the urban parts of NorCal and SoCal. It may be of use more often than the $1,500 twin charger I have now.

Are you sure you were looking at an SAE-combo connector? The combo connector aka Frankenstein connector?

Yes, that one :) Somehow, the J1772-like apparatus up top and the two pins below were more compact-looking compared to the CHAdeMO behemoth.
Exactly what I have been saying all along. CHAdeMO deserves the "frankenstein" label way more than SAE Combo, esp. given SAE Combo serves dual AC/DC while CHAdeMO does only DC (so you need another J1772 port on the car just to do AC).

Exactly what I have been saying all along. CHAdeMO deserves the "frankenstein" label way more than SAE Combo, esp. given SAE Combo serves dual AC/DC while CHAdeMO does only DC (so you need another J1772 port on the car just to do AC).

I think it doesn't serve AC. The car also charge at AC type 2 mennekes charge stations because of the shape. however the charger only gives DC.

The point is that the one vehicle inlet can take the simple AC connector, or it can take the larger connector that also has the large DC pins. BTW, SAE Combo is J1772+DC while CCS is Type 2+DC.

Any vehicle that has a CHAdeMO inlet must also have another inlet to handle AC charging input.

How many miles / hour could you achieve with this adapter if you have dual chargers?

Dual/single chargers doesn't matter, since this adapter bypasses the chargers just like a supercharger. Chademo stations are kind of like mini superchargers.

Technically 125A max would mean between about 35 and 45kW DC (max 50kW, but I don't think the car accepts 50kW when it is at the voltage needed to get 50kW at 125A...)... so, I'd estimate between ~100 and 135/mi per hour charge, depending on the battery's state of charge and the charge equipment power rating.

Or simply put, roughly double the speed of an 80A/240V HPWC and dual chargers.

Edit: These numbers are for an 85kWh battery... a 60 would get about 13% less power overall since the pack voltage is about 13% lower than an 85kWh pack.

Keep in mind that for a continuous load, per the NEC, the equipment is derated 125%. So, this would mean the unit should technically handle around 156A max for short periods, assuming the programming and supply equipment allows it. If they were able to get away with using some of the provisions of the NEC that they used with the cabling of the superchargers, they could get away with a 200A non-continuous load for a short period, just like the superchargers can go to 350A or so for short periods.

Keep in mind that for a continuous load, per the NEC, the equipment is derated 125%. So, this would mean the unit should technically handle around 156A max for short periods, assuming the programming and supply equipment allows it. If they were able to get away with using some of the provisions of the NEC that they used with the cabling of the superchargers, they could get away with a 200A non-continuous load for a short period, just like the superchargers can go to 350A or so for short periods.

NEC doesn't apply to appliances, only infrastructure. An appliance designed for 50A can draw 50A, continuous or not.

With regard to the continuous load provisions, the technicality behind it is that supply equipment is not actually "derated", but rather circuit conductors and OCPD's must be sized for 125% of the offered continuous load. This means you start with the load (40A or 80A) and then size conductors and OCPD's at 50A/100A, not the other way around. It may seem like the same thing, but it makes a difference when it comes to calculations like applying derating factors and such.