Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have experienced one incompatibility out of three to four CHAdeMO chargers in Japan, especially Nissan's slim model. I think they are less common in NL and other parts of Europe.
Please share any incompatibility information such as charger brand. I asked Tesla charging team to fix the issues but currently they are not listening.

I have experienced one incompatibility out of three to four CHAdeMO chargers in Japan, especially Nissan's slim model. I think they are less common in NL and other parts of Europe.
Please share any incompatibility information such as charger brand. I asked Tesla charging team to fix the issues but currently they are not listening.

I am afraid the issue will not be fixed. Those chargers are build for charges of 15-20 kW (not the speed, the charge) and maybe they are capable of charging 2 cars in a row, where the speed reduces as the battery gets full. With a S the battery is not even half full at twice the charge of another EV, and will drain 45kW continuously until the battery is 85% full... The CHAdeMO we use here are most of the time combined with AC 43kW. and Combo 60-100kW. In 2013 we had CHAdeMO with AC chargers, that were very bad (Nissan) and all were changed with mostly ABB chargers. If you have the Nissan ones, I also think they are high maintenance, and seems maintenance was not the top priority of Nissan as I can recal. The chargers aircooling system were full of dust and other nasty stuff which eventualy made the chargers break down.

Well I ordered mine 25-11-2013, so I sent an e-mail to the order confirmation e-mail as a reply asking how far down the waiting list I am and what's the approximate ETA, we'll see :) Could definitely use the adapter if it arrived before I have to start giving lectures in a town 190km away (380km round trip in winter) with our ELMO chargers every 50km. The lectures start 9th of February so I'm not too hopeful ;)

I have my doubts as the software says you can accept DC charging or not; it can't differentiate between plugs AFAIK.

As a DC charging adapter, the chademo adapter will have a data link to the car via the charge port it will have to use to translate chademo<->tesla. I'm sure it will identify itself as a chademo adapter and the car can respond accordingly, if they so desired, in software.

The superchargers are a little different as the car must both be enabled and authenticate with the supercharger before it will DC charge. There should be no such authentication with the chademo adapter.

While I haven't been reading threads here as deeply as I used to, as of 3 months ago, the methods that were used by Tesla to generate DC in the US Superchargers (individual 10 kW chargers using 277V L-N, balanced across phases on 480VAC L-L 3-phase service) are the same methods that Tesla uses internally to the car in Europe (3 individual "sub-chargers" that use 230V L-N, balanced across phases on 400VAC L-L 3-phase service). There's no reason to suspect that Tesla does anything differently, unless there are some places it cannot get a wye based 3-phase service. In that case, I'd like to understand it a bit better. There's no reason the same Supercharger cabinets can't be used in Europe vs. the US (although European cabinets will need more of the chargers because L-N is 230VAC vs. 277VAC). In both cases, 15 chargers in the cabinet (5 each phase) is sufficient to produce 135 kW (230V * 40A * 15 chargers = 138 kW Europe, vs. 277V * 40A * 15 chargers = 166 kW US).

The newer EU chargers run on 480V via step-up transformers and can deliver 150kW total split between the two pedestals. I have charged at 120kW on one while the neighbour got 30kW on his (same SC, he had a nearly empty battery also). The step-up transformers are rated at 160kW input but there are some losses in the transformer and the chargers.

Max for one car is still ~120kW (I have seen 122kW once).

The CHAdeMO we use here are most of the time combined with AC 43kW. and Combo 60-100kW. In 2013 we had CHAdeMO with AC chargers, that were very bad (Nissan) and all were changed with mostly ABB chargers. If you have the Nissan ones, I also think they are high maintenance, and seems maintenance was not the top priority of Nissan as I can recal. The chargers aircooling system were full of dust and other nasty stuff which eventualy made the chargers break down.

Unfortunately in the UK most rapid chargers are derived from that badly designed Nissan one. There are 25% offline at the present time. The manufacturers and operators have been promising various upgrades and it seems to make little difference. The issues were identified early on, as they were in the Netherlands, but here they decided to stick with the original units and roll out about 200 more.

The newer EU chargers run on 480V via step-up transformers and can deliver 150kW total split between the two pedestals. I have charged at 120kW on one while the neighbour got 30kW on his (same SC, he had a nearly empty battery also). The step-up transformers are rated at 160kW input but there are some losses in the transformer and the chargers.

Ah cool, so they're basically just recreating the US standards for the superchargers. Same cabinet, then, I presume and the use of 277V L-N just like the US.

Sure? I checked Koge in Denmark last week, brand new, SuperCharger Gen II 135kW maximum.

But to get back ontopic, now the adapter seems to be delivered in the Netherlands and I'm #59 on the list I wonder when I'm getting mine :)

Sure? I checked Koge in Denmark last week, brand new, SuperCharger Gen II 135kW maximum.

The 135kW limit is for a single car, not the total power split between two cars. But you won't get 135kW in a Model S as that assumes 340A at 400V. At 400V the amperage is way lower in the S. Try charging two TMS with low batteries on the same SC there and I'm sure you will see at least 150kW in total (probably 120kW on the first car and 30kW on the second).

Same goes for the older 120kW SCs like the one on Lillehammer, max for one car is about 106kW. Not 120kW.

The 135kW limit is for a single car, not the total power split between two cars. But you won't get 135kW in a Model S as that assumes 340A at 400V. At 400V the amperage is way lower in the S. Try charging two TMS with low batteries on the same SC there and I'm sure you will see at least 150kW in total (probably 120kW on the first car and 30kW on the second).

Same goes for the older 120kW SCs like the one on Lillehammer, max for one car is about 106kW. Not 120kW.

Ah, the label on the cabinet said 135kW.

How'd you find out you are #59?

E-Mail the EU shop and ask.

Finally got the chance to test the adapter at a lower battery. Started with 90km estimated range and charged at a CHAdeMO point in Amsterdam. The best I got was 366V and 109A (approx. 40kW) though the system was setup for 500V and 120A. These are the pics:
IMAG1094.jpg

IMAG1095.jpg
IMAG1096.jpg

IMAG1093.jpg

AppScreenshot.png

Sorry but that bears no resemblance to what I have seen in the UK, and goes against all the arguments/logic about how SC cabinets are configured in the US and elsewhere that I have seen. Do you have a source/reference for this? Examples of such transformers in use? Which country have you seen this setup in?

US SC units are a stack of twelve x 10kW charge units (same as the ones in US cars) hence 120kW.
EU SC units are a stack of twelve x 11kW 3 phase charge units (same as the ones in EU cars) hence 132kW which is rounded up to 135kW for labeling.
There are no step up transformers at any UK supercharger site that I've visited or seen photos of.
In countries where 400V 3 phase power is common why on earth would you go to the huge expense and hassle of stepping up slightly to 480V?

The rating label on a Gen II 135kW supercharger says input of 380-480V 3phase at up to 192A. 192A is exactly what you need to drive 12 European charge modules at 16A per phase each. That's 133kW total at an EU standard 400V (230V L-N on each phase).

The maximum current output of a Gen II 135kW supercharger is 330A continuous so it could not possibly charge two cars at a total of 150kW between them. When you and an adjacent car saw a total that exceeded 120kW are you sure that you were both connected to the same SC cabinet. At some large SC sites the paired bays aren't adjacent - they sometimes install them as e.g. 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B.

Here's the spec label on one of the SC cabinets at the Maidstone charger in the UK:

IMG_2160.JPG

Just got an email from Tesla informing me that I can place an order my adapter now! Question is, do I need/want it now? The email says they have limited numbers and my position on the waitlist is invited to order, but any orders placed by others who havent rec'd the email will be cancelled. (Ths I cant forward the email with the order link to others.)