Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What my source in Tesla got me was that the adapter is in final EU testing and release is very soon. First orders filled are those who ordered the adapter with the car and haven't received it yet. His personal guess was August release, that isn't in any way backed by official channels who didn't want to commit to a date.

What my source in Tesla got me was that the adapter is in final EU testing and release is very soon. First orders filled are those who ordered the adapter with the car and haven't received it yet. His personal guess was August release, that isn't in any way backed by official channels who didn't want to commit to a date.
Is that the same Tesla engineers who were "certain" that the adapter would be released in December, I mean, March, I mean, June, I mean, August? They have not the slightest clue what they are doing or when they'll be ready. And they have told us for about nine months that it will be ready in "1-3 months" - with the target conveniently shifting into the future.

I will receive my Tesla in September and had hoped that it would come with the Chademo adapter. I have just been in contact with the Delivery Experience Expert and asked him about delivery of the adapter. He responded that it will be available at the end of the year. So again further delays. That's a real problem because Fastned it installing 200 Chademo chargers along all highways in the Netherlands. But I cannot use them

Saw the adaptor in use charging a white tesla in Los Altos (evgo chademo station in Wholefoods) yesterday. Kinda clunky but I suspect the size/heft of it helps keep that nasty big metal chademo connector away from the paintwork :)

Interestingly, the station was showing a percentage battery level of the tesla on the station screen. No idea it was accurate, but didn't know it could do that. It showed charging at 378V, 107A (~40kW).

Last edited:
Would you prefer they released it on time as promised, but without all the bugs/glitches worked out? Or delayed a few month but with much better quality? I think most would prefer the later.

There are going to be bugs/glitches/revisions anyway. How many NEMA 14-50 revisions have there been?

At some point they just have to get it out to customers...which will reveal even more bugs/glitches.

Learned that Japan delivery of Model S is delayed again until September. I heard that CHAdeMO testing is going well and Tesla will bundle CHAdeMO adapters to all Japanese cars. So I believe the product is almost ready to release!

I suspect whatever production they have of these will go to Japan and Europe deliveries, with USA "after sales" being further delayed.

So I spoke with somebody from ABB this morning regarding a Quick Charger and finally we ended up talking about the CHAdeMO adapter.

What he told me is that Tesla has been in contact with ABB to test their adapter on their charging stations. He mentioned that the adapter would be released in September/October.

Another he told me that some CHAdeMO chargers overheated due to the long period of a 46kW draw by a Model S. A Leaf draws 50kW for 3 minutes after which it starts to taper down towards 40kW, 30kW, etc. Since the Model S has such a big battery it can draw 46kW for a longer period causing some chargers to overheat.

Last edited: