Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

chademo charging with tesla adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eh, I've read that whole thread ... and I went and found a local CHAdeMO so I could try it out. As long as I don't make it my primary source of electrons, I think I'll be okay. No worries here.

And if not, there will be some folks who would cheer that I was impacted. Because they're that way. (And I laughed as I typed that :). )

Reactions: boaterva and T34ME
I seem to recall some CHAdeMO stations might give you some control over this, but others are right, if not there is nothing you can do on the car's end.

You can get the CHAdeMO adapter software updated at the Service Center, though, so maybe something to watch in case Tesla makes longevity improvements in the adapter itself given the DC charging degradation issue mentioned or for other reasons.

These updates are not available over air.

thanks for all the replys, much appreciated, I have only charged once on chademo some time back, but took little notice beond the rate of charge, the reason for the question was a lead in (pardon the pun) to the next part which would have been, If I can throttle down the charge ( as with AC) can I then use a type 2 cable as an extension lead? (between the car and CHAD' adaptor) in case of emergency AND getting ICE'd which is very common over here, so no it wasn't re the current (all but nonexistant) worry :)

thanks for all the replys, much appreciated, I have only charged once on chademo some time back, but took little notice beond the rate of charge, the reason for the question was a lead in (pardon the pun) to the next part which would have been, If I can throttle down the charge ( as with AC) can I then use a type 2 cable as an extension lead? (between the car and CHAD' adaptor) in case of emergency AND getting ICE'd which is very common over here, so no it wasn't re the current (all but nonexistant) worry :)

I would assume that is at least not recommended. Also since the CHAdeMO adapter is not recommended for rain as is, if charging outside, I would assume it being e.g. on the ground with an extension cord might be even worse.

I will let others look this up, but it is my understanding Tesla does not recommend extension leads even when charging from basic sockets (even if in that case extension is between the socket and the Mobile Connector), though of course many still use them for that.

Last edited: