Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me for not reading all 51 pages before asking this question, but for those of you who have the Alcantara in their Model 3, do you have two different colors? The headliner is light grey, while the door section is dark grey. It looks really nice so I'm not complaining, just curious if this was normal.

You seem to have answered your own question, but yes they are two different colors in the OG cars.

There is nothing that says the 6000 or so votes cast that "don’t care about" were from actual buyers, buyers with reservations, or people that have actual orders placed or just one guy clicking over and over to skew the poll. Unfortunately this change affects people more with actual orders that ordered something different from what Tesla is delivering based on what Tesla showed them. If someone has reserved and is yet to order they now know what should or might be expected (or might not be depending on what Tesla feels like on a given day or "what they have always planned"). And most buyers that have already received probably got what Tesla promised in the production display cars.
Then there is nothing to say the votes cast are from people with a reservation. Only Tesla really knows the impact, and they aren't sharing.

There is nothing that says the 6000 or so votes cast that "don’t care about" were from actual buyers, buyers with reservations, or people that have actual orders placed or just one guy clicking over and over to skew the poll. Unfortunately this change affects people more with actual orders that ordered something different from what Tesla is delivering based on what Tesla showed them. If someone has reserved and is yet to order they now know what should or might be expected (or might not be depending on what Tesla feels like on a given day or "what they have always planned"). And most buyers that have already received probably got what Tesla promised in the production display cars.
As @DarkMatter says, the poll must be discarded in its entirety for the reasons you mention. We can't choose one side that's valid and another that's not.

Tesla stated explicitly in its June 2016 10-Q that the Model 3 manufacturing process would need to be different from its previous efforts with Models S/X: "We have no experience to date in manufacturing vehicles at the high volumes that we anticipate for Model 3, and to be successful, we will need to develop efficient, automated, low-cost manufacturing capabilities, processes and supply chains necessary to support such volumes."

I don't recall that Tesla ever explained reasons why. Presumably, they thought it was obvious.

• Love
Reactions: MauryDann
Alcantara.png

Tesla stated explicitly in its June 2016 10-Q that the Model 3 manufacturing process would need to be different from its previous efforts with Models S/X: "We have no experience to date in manufacturing vehicles at the high volumes that we anticipate for Model 3, and to be successful, we will need to develop efficient, automated, low-cost manufacturing capabilities, processes and supply chains necessary to support such volumes."

I don't recall that Tesla ever explained reasons why. Presumably, they thought it was obvious.

For the ramp to be fast it needs to be different.

Since there is no competitor mass producing 300k plus long range affordable BEVs per year in the near future the ramp does not need to be fast to be successful.

It is nice to have stretch goals. Winning is sufficient. Lapping the field is not necessary.

• Disagree
Reactions: MauryDann
We are trying to start a fair and unbiased poll that everyone can trust at the spreadsheet. Each entry with a model 3 reservation is allowed one vote linked to their user name (not anonymous). Here are the choices:

Don't care - deliver my car with textile fabric
Will take delivery with textile but prefer suede
Textile is fine but I want black.
Hold my car until alternate suede is found
Cancel my reservation
Undecided
Took delivery with suede - like it
Took delivery with suede - don't like it
Took delivery with suede - don't care
Took delivery with fabric - like it
Took delivery with fabric - don't like it
Took delivery with fabric - don't care

This is the result so far as of today:

alcantara poll 1-15-18.pdf

Most of you here probably already have an entry there. Check it out only if you are interested in how everyone feels as demonstrated by objective data and place your own voice in the survey. Please don't go there to try to manipulate the data - that would be bad for the integrity of the whole data set and your own integrity. Also, Tesla employee gaming that survey could be considered a SEC violation - not that you would consider that. We will shut it down if we believe the data have been compromised.

Link

Attachments

• alcantara poll 1-15-18.pdf
    33.8 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: MP3Mike
Real Alcantara is actually easy to work with. The biggest issues is that is costs about $110 a yard retail.

No the real issue is that 99% of those here wouldn't be able to disassemble the vehicle, remove the upholster and install the new upholstery without messing something up.

The cost of the material will be nothing compared to what it will cost to have someone competent redo the upholstery.

I would have trouble picking between these two choices:

Will take delivery with textile but prefer suede
Textile is fine but I want black.

I REALLY hope the headliner is black with the white seats. In Canada I’m late ‘18 at the earliest so hopefully. I actually liked the grey suede, black seats when I drove You You’s so I could probably live with it with white seats. It’s just the white/black contrast on the S and X is really nice (to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.