Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't speak for everyone; he wrote "should", as a suggestion. Speaking for someone is different than suggesting something to someone.

I really wish you'd just understand posts before accusing someone of doing something else entirely. :p

From my angle, it's a red herring to discuss the car purchase hinging on the headliner. This is more likely about purchasing the PUP upgrade down the line.

Otherwise, sure. People draw different lines on which "bait-and-switches" are worth caring about and which are "I never cared about it to begin with, so go ahead, Tesla." People have different standards for different parts of a car.
Yes, I can read. I think you missed the second 'everyone'. I really wish you'd just understand posts before accusing someone of doing something else entirely. :) When someone says 'there's a ton of talking by everyone on the forums' and I'm on the forums and I'm not one of the people upset ... then yes, I'd like them not to speak for me.

Reactions: Lem89 and SpiceWare
Let me fix this for one of you who has taken delivery of your car with the non-ultra suede 'headliner' and are unhappy with it. I want a 3 in Pearl White, PUP, EAP, Aero wheels and less than 500 miles on it. I will give you sticker price less $10,000 (you can take the tax credit and CA rebate). This offer will make you whole and I will get my 3 immediately instead of waiting. It's a win/win for both of us.

This is a serious offer. I have cash in hand. PM me if you wish to talk.

I'm sure there are several others who would be willing to take a car with the new 'headliner' at the unhappy buyers cost. For those who haven't taken delivery and are unhappy, you can always buy a BOLT for about the same price with textile headliner or an older CPO MS with an alcantara headliner.

Let me fix this for one of you who has taken delivery of your car with the non-ultra suede 'headliner' and are unhappy with it. I want a 3 in Pearl White, PUP, EAP, Aero wheels and less than 500 miles on it. I will give you sticker price less $10,000 (you can take the tax credit and CA rebate). This offer will make you whole and I will get my 3 immediately instead of waiting. It's a win/win for both of us.

I'm sure there are several others who would be willing to take a car with the new 'headliner' at the unhappy buyers cost. For those who haven't taken delivery and are unhappy, you can always buy a BOLT for about the same price with textile headliner or an older CPO MS with an alcantara headliner.

NB: The CA rebate requires three years of ownership, you are supposed to give back a prorated amount if you sell before that.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Yes, I can read. I think you missed the second 'everyone'. I really wish you'd just understand posts before accusing someone of doing something else entirely. :) When someone says 'there's a ton of talking by everyone on the forums' and I'm on the forums and I'm not one of the people upset ... then yes, I'd like them not to speak for me.

Eh, you're right. I did miss it. I apologize for the miscorrected "correction". I was looking at the first sentence and here,

There are many many people on the TMC and Tesla forums disappointed with this perceived bait-and switch change.

But there is an "everyone talking about it" earlier and that's a little much: if we're not accurate, then what are we? Politicians?...

Reactions: bonnie

I don't think that tax credits work that way. At least not the California one. :p
edit: people beat me to it while writing this !

I think I'd rather have Alcantara than a glass roof personally.... But I can't cancel and get the base model due to still needing the better seats and maybe sound, although I'm certainly one step closer to not paying 5k more. This won't stop my reservation, but I may as well get a base model + battery if the interior materials will be the same. Maybe I can get EAP instead.

Well count me as one NOT upset about this. My first reservation does have alcantara. However, my second reservation (waiting on dual motors) will have the premium package and probably a cloth headliner. I'm good with that.

It's not 'everyone' and I really wish you'd just speak for yourself. Outside of one forum member who has an allergy to polyester & was going to cancel his signature Model S reservation as a result, I've never heard of someone basing a car purchase on headliner material.

But I guess now I have.
I suppose if everyone on the planet were the same in that aesthetics weren't really that important then maybe it wouldn't be such an issue, however this thread is somewhat proving that to not be true. With that said......I find personal preferences such as this to be neither right nor wrong. If someone is passionate about their headliners and another isn't.....then to each is own.

Now Tesla on the other hand has some culpability in the matter as they are receiving compensation for what they are delivering. To give one person X and the other person Y for the same price without making some kind of statement is kinda insensitive when the cost of the item is so high. Why couldn't they have just made a statement?

Silence in situations such as this is not good....neither from the customers perspective nor Teslas.

Reactions: kablammyman

I will pay $10 more than his offer. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: bonnie
All this talk about bait & switch. The alcantara headliner was bait? Really? Did anyone really make the decision to buy this car based on the headliner material? Everyone just needs to calm down.

Just about EVERY review of the car that I read / watched explicitly mentioned (and praised) the quality of the interior materials, many of them even singling out the alacantra as a nice touch.

So, yes. I'd say it was definitely bait to release the car with upgraded materials, knowing they'd be the ones getting all the press, and then switching to a different material.

For those with Fabric interiors, is the 10th letter in your VIN number a "H or J"
H = 2017, J= 2018
Wondering if they flipped the switch for 2018.

Tesla has said in the past that they don't do model year changeover, rather they make continual adjustments to the lines.
So, I wouldn't try too hard to match model years to any particular feature / component rev.

Old article:
FIRST DRIVE: Model 3 Shoehorns Tesla Excitement Into An Impressive Small Package
Early images of the Model 3 suggested a spartan interior. The reality is indeed minimalist, but it doesn't feel cheap, at least when premium interior upgrades are added. Those include the same suede-like headliner material found in the Model S, "open pore" wood running across the dash, adjustable power seats, an impressive high-end audio system designed by Tesla, docking for two smartphones and a tinted glass roof that extends over the front and rear seats.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
Not sure that the headliner will be that big of a deal for me on this car (but if buying another S down the road would mind it missing from there), but out of curiousity what does it show on your Model 3 Vehicle Configuration sheet? Here's what was on our early 2017 Model S. Clearly labeled there and as included. I thought about it and agree with someone's comment about the headliner was actually part of the Seat configuration choice, not the PUP package. Under our Agreement to Purchase it further stated: "Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order. Options or features released after you place your order may not be included in your Vehicle."

Headliner - 1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I think this is more about communication, a Tesla weak point, than the actual stupid headliner. My opinion is that the Alcantara (or equivalent) looks more premium but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

I don’t really care what mine comes with but I’d really like to know ahead of time what my car with come with before I write the check. And I think this kind of brushes up against not treating customers equally, something Tesla has always professed as a core value.

Status
Not open for further replies.