Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headliner fabrics are wildly different in how they attract dust. Some of them are great. Let's see what happens with the future, perhaps there will be a black headliner option. It's possible there never will be one, though, as it's something they can use to separate the X and S from the 3.

Ryan McCaffrey does the Ride the lightening podcast and his episode 128 perfectly describes my thoughts and disappointments. It's worth a listen even if you don't care that much because he does a great job of acknowledging some people don't care - and that's OK because it's subjective . Unfortunately, This kind of reminds me of politics, we should consider views besides our own. Just because you don't care about the headliner, you don't care that Tesla changed it.... But, if the headliner did matter to you, then Tesla's actions and response have been quite poor.

"But complaining about the lipstick on the dashboard when you are getting a car that smokes pretty much everything in this class of car and not realizing the other attributes is absurd.

Smoking every sports car driven by some dude who doesn’t even know how to shift. Priceless"

It's important to note that Tesla's high performance is mostly restricted to 0-60 launches and limited numbers of those at that. That's why Tesla doesn't do Nurburgring tests, at least not that the publicize. As a matter of fact, publications who've taken model s's on track have had very poor results due to overheating. Most sports car owners use many more metrics besides the simple 0-60 launch times in order to determine the performance level of their cars. It's a bit facile to pretend that teslas smoke all the competition, especially in the $250,000 realm that you were discussing.

The 2020 roadster will be doing Nurburgring tests. You complaints are valid for the 2012 level tech of the of the Model S (and the old roadster that proceeded it) and The X and 3 that followed aren't designed to address that issue. But the 2020 Roadster is.

The 2020 roadster will be doing Nurburgring tests. You complaints are valid for the 2012 level tech of the of the Model S (and the old roadster that proceeded it) and The X and 3 that followed aren't designed to address that issue. But the 2020 Roadster is.

My observations are also valid for the current model S.

As far as what the 2020 Roadster may/may not do performance wise...I feel that "Alcantaragate" and many of teslas other failings/shortfalls/wildly optimistic projections (Thinking of Elon's cross country AP2 trip he didn't take at the end of last year, AP1 parity, the politics of the superchargers, supercharger degradation, and many others) show that it's best to be very cautiously optimistic that Elon/Telsa can live up to their optimistic promises on future (And current) product.

My observations are also valid for the current model S.

The current Model S is the only Model S.

The old roadster is 2008 design no matter if it was made in 2008-2012
The Model S is a 2012 design even if it was made in 2012-2018
The Model X is a 2015 design even it it was made in 2015-2018

Your complaint was about track times on extended runs which is a function of the cooling system design. The cooling system on those cars hasn't been significantly redesigned anywhere along the way.

The 2020 Roadster does have a significant redesign and will not have the issue you mentioned.

For those who don't care about the headliner material (why are you here?), would you care if Tesla replaced the Alcantara on the doors with cloth?

Only because that's probably not the right material for that spot, so if they were to drop Alcantara there, something other than the new headliner material probably would work better, IMO.

Also, some of us are here because we are interested in how Tesla works, how they make mistakes and respond to customer complaints. And also maybe just a little, if we're being honest, because it's fun to watch people get bent out of shape on both sides.

Last edited:
Door cards are one of the places I prefer not to have it (unless maybe it's black?). Anywhere you have to touch on a daily basis I think is a bad idea except for black textile fabric or leather. I had 2 Subaru STi's with door cards that had this material and over time, it gets worn looking and discolored from the areas that don't get as much use. That's why for me, the only place I would like it is how my MS has it, places you don't normally touch - headliner and dash accents.

Attachments

• passengerpanelfromside_2.jpg
    passengerpanelfromside_2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 70
Status
Not open for further replies.