Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change to charging cables delivered with UK cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None at all? Within 200 miles? That must be annoying for you (I'm assuming we're talking Model S rather than a Leaf or Zoe)
Open Charge Map - Zero Carbon World

He would need to be within circa 100 miles to get there and back. Additionally, have no plans to drive anywhere locally at destination before the return trip. I agree - whilst 13amp charging is slow, not having it (or every option) as a possibility is a deal breaker.

I think everyone should have a portable EVSE as well. I'm just not sure plugging in every time you stay with certain friends or relatives is a plan. Maybe once or twice on initial visits when it's all novel. More than that feels like imposing.
Maybe that's just my friends and relatives. ;-)

If I know someone well enough to stay overnight in their house then I would have no qualms about asking them to let me plug in the car at whatever rate they can offer (I have friends with 32A commando sockets, but not many!).

But I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable asking anyone to install a Chargemaster EVSE on their house for me (my parents have already had a 32A commando installed out of sight and near to their consumer unit for me to use when I visit, with a suitably chunky extension lead, because I wouldn't have dreamed of asking them to put an ugly box with tethered cable attached on the front of their house so it'd be near enough to reach the car).

If the UMC isn't included by default I'll probably just build an EVSE to carry around with me using the zerocarbonworld controller.

If I know someone well enough to stay overnight in their house then I would have no qualms about asking them to let me plug in the car at whatever rate they can offer (I have friends with 32A commando sockets, but not many!).

But I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable asking anyone to install a Chargemaster EVSE on their house for me (my parents have already had a 32A commando installed out of sight and near to their consumer unit for me to use when I visit, with a suitably chunky extension lead, because I wouldn't have dreamed of asking them to put an ugly box with tethered cable attached on the front of their house so it'd be near enough to reach the car).

If the UMC isn't included by default I'll probably just build an EVSE to carry around with me using the zerocarbonworld controller.

Ditto.

So my sales adviser has said the following:

"blue pin is no longer available" (which to me says no 32A commando at all; not that the UMC will be a paid extra, but that they aren't even going to offer one at all)
"I would like you to contact chargemaster for all your home charging".

So all evidence seems to point to no UMC. Bizarre, but that's what we have to work with.

So for general use when travelling I will get hold of a portable EVSE (buy one, build one, whatever).

Which leaves the question of home charging.

Now because of delays/uncertainty on CHAdeMO I am adding dual chargers to my order, at which point 7kW charging at home with the chargemaster point just feels a bit... underpowered if the car can do three times that!

3 phase is uneconomical at my house, but upgrading from 100A to 200A single phase supply is not (the cable coming into our house is hugely oversized; they will basically just need to switch the fuse and do some paperwork). So that leaves me with the interesting prospect of building a high current single phase EVSE for home. The car supports 80A single phase charging according to tesla's specs page. But the Type 2 connector only supports 63A per phase. So how am I supposed to get 80A into the car? Or is 63A actually the practical limit? And in turn will the "free" Tesla Type 2 cable support 63A single phase charging? I bet it will only be rated for 32A per phase...

I find this a bizarre situation. The EU cars all come with a UMC. To provide one in the UK should be extremely simple. Maybe they think the UK is so advanced that we only need Type 2? Some of us would like to take our cars into Europe where the blue/red commando sockets will be extremely useful, not to mention a standard plug for the odd top up (apparently many public EU charge points are 13A standard outlets).

The ultimate irony of all this is that Tesla UK use red & blue sockets themselves for charging.

I read somewhere that the BMW i3 UK plug to type 2 connector can be bought separately for a very reasonable price.