Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change to SR+ Price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9815561B-629E-4FD9-B95C-5910F3DD2C79.jpeg
5E217478-88D2-4388-A389-6A2584FC9D7A.jpeg
I have copies of both my original order and the new one as updated today.

My original order agreement has a total price of £51,340 with an asterisk to a comment saying that the total price INCLUDES the government grant of £3,500.

Today’s order agreement has a total price of £54,840 with an asterisk to a comment saying that the total price DOES NOT INCLUDE the government grant of £3,500.

Other than the poor communication I don’t think there is anything to worry about here. What I end up paying will, I assume, be £51,340 as the government grant will still be applied. It’s just a case of them now showing the full value not including the grant which I think is for luxury car tax purposes.
No asterix on my original order, so I should have been paying £52,800 less £3,500. And this is what the website showed (but I didn't screenshot at the time).

Clearly the original order was incorrect and yes I got one too, but in reality mistakes like this happen and nothing is really legally binding. If you try to contest it, you'll loose and someone will probably end up getting your car.
Great, so I just have to magic £3,500 out of thin air. I was already stretching myself for this car, an extra £3,500 isn't in my budget. So I guess someone else will get my car, good for them.

Great, so I just have to magic £3,500 out of thin air. I was already stretching myself for this car, an extra £3,500 isn't in my budget. So I guess someone else will get my car, good for them.

Unfortunately it looks to me that your original order at £52,800 did actually include the government grant but it’s simply not noted with the asterisk/comment as was the case with mine. I remember when I was originally looking to order, I was also planning to go for the LR AWD version that you’ve ordered (before it disappeared). The base price of the car was definitely £47,050 on the website (as per your original order agreement) and I recall that this was noted on the website as already including the £3,500 government grant.

Unfortunately it looks to me that your original order at £52,800 did actually include the government grant but it’s simply not noted with the asterisk/comment as was the case with mine. I remember when I was originally looking to order, I was also planning to go for the LR AWD version that you’ve ordered (before it disappeared). The base price of the car was definitely £47,050 on the website (as per your original order agreement) and I recall that this was noted on the website as already including the £3,500 government grant.
And I recall the government grant appearing in the savings section, being deducted from the £47,050. It sounds like the website was wrong when I originally completed my order, leading to my incorrect order agreement without the asterix. I didn't screenshot it though, and know my contract law anyway so legally it wouldn't make a difference, but £3,500 is a lot of money for me to find and jeopardises this purchase for me.

Stating the obvious, remove FSD.

I sympathise (Tesla does not make it simple some times when they start pricing vehicles after incentives and savings etc), but I don't think there was anything in the order process that did not imply or state that the gov grant was not included in the price stated. So unless you booked on a different website than me, it would have been stated at time of order. Its the same with deposits paid. The price thankfully does not include the price of the deposits paid.

I must admit, its frightening seeing the full cost of the vehicle though in black and white. Nearly as much as I paid for my first flat and far more than I have ever paid for a depreciating asset such as a car, oh, my first flat was a depreciating asset...

This all said, I'm still expecting any final bill not to match my back of envelope costings.

Stating the obvious, remove FSD.

I sympathise (Tesla does not make it simple some times when they start pricing vehicles after incentives and savings etc), but I don't think there was anything in the order process that did not imply or state that the gov grant was not included in the price stated. So unless you booked on a different website than me, it would have been stated at time of order. Its the same with deposits paid. The price thankfully does not include the price of the deposits paid.

I must admit, its frightening seeing the full cost of the vehicle though in black and white. Nearly as much as I paid for my first flat and far more than I have ever paid for a depreciating asset such as a car, oh, my first flat was a depreciating asset...

This all said, I'm still expecting any final bill not to match my back of envelope costings.
Well I'm having to rethink the whole purchase now. Model 3 versus other options and all of the various configurations of the EV world (current and near future). I'm supposed to be selling my current car (a Leaf, so fuel savings don't mean anything to me) on Friday, so now that is up in the air too due to their error. I only bought the configuration I did because other options weren't available at the time and the price I was quoted was just about affordable (and was before the government grant, how I wish I had screenshotted it at the time). This error changes all of that. I may have to put it all on hold and wait out a pure RWD version (losing the savings I originally got on FSD which as someone intending to keep the car until it falls apart still has value for me). Such a mess, this has been the most excited I've been about a car purchase, but the most stressful also.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rooster6655
Which is what it did for me, but it was clear from the wording that that is what it had done. So I knew the true price of the car was £3500 more and that instead of me getting another £3500 off the price, Tesla was transparently handling the £3500 gov grant in its pricing. All todays email does is to make that £3500 grant more visible, but it will still be taken off the final price, along with the deposits.

So a car originally priced at £50k will have been shown as £50k, but £3500 grant deduction had already been deducted from this figure.

That car now is priced at £53500, but this price excludes the gov grant, so will reduce to £50k when it is applied, ie same price.

The only time someone comes a cropper is if they thought that they were getting the gov grant off the original cash price, ie a double grant, but that would have required subtracting £3500 off the price that Tesla were quoting (ie working to a cash price of £46500 in above example), which is what we have to do now, albeit on a higher cash price (ie £53500).

Last edited:
I have copies of both my original order and the new one as updated today.

My original order agreement has a total price of £51,340 with an asterisk to a comment saying that the total price INCLUDES the government grant of £3,500.

Today’s order agreement has a total price of £54,840 with an asterisk to a comment saying that the total price DOES NOT INCLUDE the government grant of £3,500.

Other than the poor communication I don’t think there is anything to worry about here. What I end up paying will, I assume, be £51,340 as the government grant will still be applied. It’s just a case of them now showing the full value not including the grant which I think is for luxury car tax purposes.

Where I am concerned is that my new invoice received today now amount to £65,300 (excluding grant)!!!And when I quote the exact same car on the tesla website today I get £58,940 (including grant but with a 900gbp more expensive FSD)....
Looks like there is a serious problem or tesla has decided to overcharge loyal 3yr waiting customer by 3.5k vs. new orders????

Where I am concerned is that my new invoice received today now amount to £65,300 (excluding grant)!!!And when I quote the exact same car on the tesla website today I get £58,940 (including grant but with a 900gbp more expensive FSD)....
Looks like there is a serious problem or tesla has decided to overcharge loyal 3yr waiting customer by 3.5k vs. new orders????

Did you miss the drop in price for the Performance model? That happened on May 31st

I phoned up sales after the price drop and asked fo

If you can get through to sales they will probably match the new price. They did for me a week or two back without changing the order number

Well that was a stressful few minutes, as I didn't notice the line about excluding government grant and therefore I am poring through the contract to see if they could actually increase the price after the order was placed. Came across this post and am thankful I am not the only person who fell for this.

Poor form on Tesla sending out that update without making clear in the email. Having ordered my car on the second day of announcement in 2016, being told that actually that didn't account for much in terms of delivery priority, if this had been a price increase I would have cancelled my order. I am pretty sure that is not what Tesla want to have happen to any existing orders. As for effectively closing down the call centre for information, again really not good PR.

Having said that, I am still massively excited and hope to get it in July!

@fakoriginal - no need to be worried, you will pay what you thought you were going to pay once the grant is deducted from final payment.

I can sympathize.
Ordered before the OLEV grant was finalized, assumed as it wasn't on the OLEV list and both the Tesla website and the Gov site didn't mention it that the grant would come along and help out a bit on the purchase.

Hum, pay the gap on the finance or raid savings?

:mad: