Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changed My Cybertruck Reservation...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how many people are doing as you have? Just from the forums it does seem like a significant amount.

As a Tri Motor reserver I'm happy the production change.

Really I want the Tri Motor to be the most heavily purchased as I think it will have the best chances of changing peoples minds.

Why? It doesn’t look different. Just curious on you thoughts there. TBH I think the TriMotor at 70k+ is going to be a turn off for the “working” guy who really only needs the single motor with 500 mile range which is not on offer.

I ordered a TriMotor but I also have a Model 3 Performance which is unnecessary but oh so fun...

Why? It doesn’t look different. Just curious on you thoughts there. TBH I think the TriMotor at 70k+ is going to be a turn off for the “working” guy who really only needs the single motor with 500 mile range which is not on offer..

Because it will be so capable and thus will really spur word of mouth marketing to all the "truck guys". It's a hard market I think to enter and it's going to have to be better than it's competition. The Tri Motor will do that in large part because of the range but of course the performance will be nearly as significant.

Actually I think Tesla should make one more variant, a LR single motor. Use the battery pack from the tri on a single motor; boom 600 mile range and priced at $55k. They could do the same with dual motor as well.

After reading your post I just changed my reservation as well. Pretty easy, just logged into my Tesla account, clicked Manage Reservation then click Edit Design and was able to change it without affecting my reservation #.

I was planning on getting a single motor first because I'm impatient, lol, then upgrading to tri-motor when it came out so this is great news. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: mrbulk
I wonder how many people are doing as you have? Just from the forums it does seem like a significant amount.

As a Tri Motor reserver I'm happy the production change.

Really I want the Tri Motor to be the most heavily purchased as I think it will have the best chances of changing peoples minds.

When I purchased my Model S, I didn’t pay extra for the performance because it was only a change for the acceleration. And the range was negligible at the time and is now actually less than the non performance. But with the tri, you get performance AND more range. That’s worth it to me. I did originally order the Tri and now I’m glad the production was moved up for it.

Reactions: c.ross3
One speculation was the tri was placed last so they could make use of more advanced batteries.

If so, does this mean they expect the better batteries to be ready sooner, or does it mean they've given up on the advancement being ready by 2022 so will reserve such advances for Cybertruck Version 2?

One speculation was the tri was placed last so they could make use of more advanced batteries.

If so, does this mean they expect the better batteries to be ready sooner, or does it mean they've given up on the advancement being ready by 2022 so will reserve such advances for Cybertruck Version 2?
We should learn about new battery tech in January during the Battery Investor's Meeting. Most likely all cars will get the new battery tech in 2020-2021. S and X will probably get a refresh around that time and get new motors and batteries first. (my guess)

Why? It doesn’t look different. Just curious on you thoughts there. TBH I think the TriMotor at 70k+ is going to be a turn off for the “working” guy who really only needs the single motor with 500 mile range which is not on offer.

I ordered a TriMotor but I also have a Model 3 Performance which is unnecessary but oh so fun...

It's all about profit margins and maxing out the battery capacity.

Long range RWD Model 3 is basically the same car as the P3D- sleeper. It has the same chassis and battery. All they're doing is adding a motor up front and some wiring. The motor doesn't even cost $800 more to Tesla. So why would they sell the LR RWD for $43k when they can sell the P3D- for $52k?

Same thing goes for the 70k tri motor truck. Long range RWD would be fine for those who want it, but unless they can charge 65k for it, there's no reason to make that model. The range won't even be significantly improved.

BTW in case its not apparent, 500 mile range tri motor truck for 70k likely has the powertrain of the 200k roadster2. It makes sense that you'd suffer a 100 mile range loss with such a large, heavy, and taller vehicle. That's a damn bargain.

Reactions: c.ross3
Can someone link a source?
This is all I've found, so far, at InsideEVs

batday.JPG