Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how much one would lose if you already have an M3 on order, go out and buy the least expensive used Model S you can buy, around $46K, register as a Model S owner and get your priority moved up and then when they deliver your M3, sell the MS. I wouldn't think you would lose much money as you might only have it a few months and most of the depreciation is already gone. It would be a hassle as you then have to sell the MS (I don't know if they are allowing for trade-ins). Could be a way to buy your self a high priority.

I wonder how much one would lose if you already have an M3 on order, go out and buy the least expensive used Model S you can buy, around $46K, register as a Model S owner and get your priority moved up and then when they deliver your M3, sell the MS. I wouldn't think you would lose much money as you might only have it a few months and most of the depreciation is already gone. It would be a hassle as you then have to sell the MS (I don't know if they are allowing for trade-ins). Could be a way to buy your self a high priority.

Taxes would be brutal, at least in California.

Taxes would be brutal, at least in California.
^^ That, and I don't think you would see much more than a month or so improvement in your estimated delivery times.

Reactions: gambit48
Maybe the wrong thread, but couldn't find a current relevant one... anyone have an answer to how soon your 3 delivery times gets updated when you become an S or X owner? Currently Feb-Apr for First Production and it's been that way since it stabilized back when. I would assume that will change to Jan-Mar (and I still have no idea if Jan is west coast and Mar (Apr) is for us east coasters?).

Maybe the wrong thread, but couldn't find a current relevant one... anyone have an answer to how soon your 3 delivery times gets updated when you become an S or X owner? Currently Feb-Apr for First Production and it's been that way since it stabilized back when. I would assume that will change to Jan-Mar (and I still have no idea if Jan is west coast and Mar (Apr) is for us east coasters?).
Mu guess is that it will move even earlier than 'jan-mar'. If it has not changed, you should contact Tesla and have them change it. From what I've seen / read in other forums they can do it manually, on the spot.

At that rate, you'd be better served buying someone's model 3 from them when they inevitably have spares to sell. I myself am on the fence of keeping the 3 after I get it delivered. One because I have a 2nd vehicle already that works just fine, but we want to drive it around at least 1k miles before making a decision on whether to keep, and I'll probably be getting the car before any are available for long term test drives. Even with 1k miles, I'm pretty sure we can find a buyer for a 3 that will happily pay original sticker, but would have a hard time finding a buyer for a used S that would pay original sticker..

I have two reservations (2nd one done by accident after it seemed the 1st try had an issue with my credit card).

Both reservations are from April 1st.
When i first checked it was showing a Nov-Dec 2017 delivery for the long range version and Jan-March for the standard range. The AWD version was later in 2018 (im not interested).

Now it states Jan-March 2018 for the long range and April-June 2018 for the standard range...

Im located in Miami FL...

Is this what others are seeing?

I dont think ill be able to wait that long. My current lease expires in Jan and i was going to extend it... but cant extend it that long :(

Oh yea, initially i tried to save my preference for the standard range models and it would always say there was an error and my preference could not be saved.... This time it saved so I selected one as standard the other as extended range.

If you only looked at the dates right after they were released then they probably changed shortly after that. My estimated dates changed once in the first week the estimator was available but haven't changed since then.

We are current owners (since 2013) in the Bay Area and have two reservations from 3/31. Our first production window has always been Oct-Dec, but I just checked it this morning and it has shifted to Dec-Feb has this happened to anyone else?

We are current owners (since 2013) in the Bay Area and have two reservations from 3/31. Our first production window has always been Oct-Dec, but I just checked it this morning and it has shifted to Dec-Feb has this happened to anyone else?

Still Oct-Dec 2017 for me: first production, non-owner, 3/31 line-waiter.

Did your dates shift for both reservations or just one?

Still Oct-Dec 2017 for me: first production, non-owner, 3/31 line-waiter.

Mine is Nov-Jan... Also non-owner, line-waiter, live near the factory. I wonder why you have an owner like date range (month earlier than most line-waiter non-owners.)

Were you first in line? Owned a Tesla at some point?

Mine is Nov-Jan... Also non-owner, line-waiter, live near the factory. I wonder why you have an owner like date range (month earlier than most line-waiter non-owners.)

Were you first in line? Owned a Tesla at some point?

I don't know why I'm so early, and I'm not arguing :D. I was 18th in line. I've never owned or leased any Tesla. The Santa Barbara store opened at 9:00am, so maybe that helped since I believe most west coast stores opened at 10am.