Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing electricity supplier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes this isn't a problem.

Our house is on a 3 Phase supply, and we have a 3 Phase Smart Meter (supplied & fitted free - from Octopus Energy)... and we're on the Octopus Go Tariff.

We've got a dedicated 22kW Zappi Ev Charger on 3 Phase wired directly to the Grid via a 3 phase distribution board. Charges the Tesla at 12kW ... does about 67% of battery in the 4 hour cheap tariff window at night... or charges from Grid at 12kW anytime during the day at peak rate regardless of whatever the house is doing. It has no access to Solar or Powerwalls. It's ideal for emergency fast charging without draining Powerwalls, or busy back to back driving days, or Ev visitors/guests to the house and need a quick charge.

We've also got a 7kW Zappi Ev Charger wired directly into the Tesla Gateway 2 unit, which means we can also use this charger for cheap rate electric anytime night or day, getting power from our two Tesla Powerwalls and 7.2kWp Solar Array. Two Powerwalls discharge at 10kW so they're ideal for a 7kW ev charger.

Great thing about 3 Phase... is we can charge at 12kW on one Zappi Charger, charge at 7kW on the other Zappi charger, charge the Powerwalls at 7kW and run the house in the background... all at the same time, all during the 4 hour cheap night tariff.

The two car chargers are also load balanced, so if someone turns on an 8kW electric shower during all this... the car chargers reduce capacity until they finish... then ramps back up.
@PITA This is the best news I’ve had all week - thank you. Can you do me a favour? Can you tell me the full name of the tariff which you are on? When I last called Octopus, they told me that I could not have a smart meter with 3-phase. Since this is clearly wrong (because you have one), I’d like to be able to steer them in the direction of the tariff which you are on. Thanks again.

@PITA This is the best news I’ve had all week - thank you. Can you do me a favour? Can you tell me the full name of the tariff which you are on? When I last called Octopus, they told me that I could not have a smart meter with 3-phase. Since this is clearly wrong (because you have one), I’d like to be able to steer them in the direction of the tariff which you are on. Thanks again.

Yep... the 3 Phase Smart Meter is an EDMI ES-30B

I'm on the Octopus Go Tariff...

Screenshot_20220317-200250_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220317-200259_Gallery.jpg

Turns out I only have a one line smart meter (thanks British Gas - who installed it relatively recently) so I guess I cant get the split tariff.
As long as it provides half hourly readings, you can switch to Octopus go. Go doesn't rely on a separate circuit like Economy 7 does. Don't forget to use a referral if you do decide to switch to Octopus.

Just wondered if anyone can shed any light on this, I first rang Octopus to change and as per usual tried to persuade me not to switch. When I was about to proceed, they said I need a smart meter 2 for the Go tariff, however, it seems like E-on fitted an SM1 for me 2 years ago and to get an SM2 installed will take 3-6 months?

I've now rang my own supplier (Shell - was pure planet but went bust and got assigned to Shell) to insist on a SM2, they kept insisting since I have a SM1 i do not need SM2 as they are already pulling the reading, however, after pushing a little, they finally agreed to book me in for a change to SM2 in middle of April.

Now I've got the confirmation that the meter swap is happening, would it be possible to initiate the switch? Or should I wait till the meter swap is complete? And would it be compatible with Octopus requirement?

I have a smets 1 secure meter and it works absolutely fine with Octopus Go and they got their 30 minute readings from within a day of me joining.
Yes, Octopus can only get data from Secure branded SMETS1 meters. There are others out there that they can't connect to.

Now I've got the confirmation that the meter swap is happening, would it be possible to initiate the switch? Or should I wait till the meter swap is complete? And would it be compatible with Octopus requirement?
I wouldn't chance it. The appointments will be made by your existing provider, even if the meter is changed by a third party. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they got cancelled if you start the process to leave.

Reactions: Mystarch89
I was quoted crazy levels by Octopus. [They] wanted 42 p/kWh with standing charge of 24.01 p/day
I was quoted similarly, based on the Octopus 10m Fixed March 2022 V1 intermediate tariff for electricity-only switch, which is pricier than when moving both gas and electricity to them (38.3 p/kWh otherwise). However, once joined it should be possible to move on to one of the Go tariffs or potentially the Intelligent early-access one (requires iOS app). They say up to 14 days later, but I don't see why it should take that long when my SMETS2 meter already gives half-hourly readings to current provider Shell once a day.

you can't fully charge a Tesla in four hours

Ah! Sounds like the usual definition of the difference between Americans and Brits:

Americans think that 200 years is a long time. Brits think that 200 miles is a long way :)

I have a 7 hours overnight off-peak rate ... but its not as cheap as the 4-hour tariff.

I use TeslaFi to stop charging at the end of that period, so that I never charge at peak rate. If I come home "empty" then it will take two nights to fully recharge. If I need to go somewhere "distant" tomorrow then I'll need to override to get more than 7 hours charging.

Folk with 4 hours overnight charge rate can do that too ... just needs for the 4 hour rate to cover the majority of their use-cases. 4 hours is going to be somewhere between 80 and 110 miles (7Kw / 240v)

Reactions: kelvin 660
I am in the same boat - Pure Planet to Shell and just requested a smart meter install. Plan to move to Octopus once the meter has gone in - if they will have me!

Electrician also told me UK Power Networks need to upgrade the fuse in the meter cabinet from 60A to 100A

With rates like that, I'd be scrambling to get as much solar on my roof as I could fit. Reading some of these UK electric rate increase threads is really eye opening!
Yep. I lived in the US for several years and was always amazed at how cheap energy was. When I moved to AZ the place had Solar and was super cheap! I miss it.

Europe is expensive as most energy is imported and taxed in the U.K. the energy companies are claiming that it’s expensive for them, yet right now they’re making record profits. I’m facing energy bills of around £4K annually starting August…

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I changed from Scottish Power at the end of March, when the 2 year fixed tariff ended, to Octopus Go, I've just moved on to Intelligent Octopus which charges 7.5p/KwH from 23:30 to 05:30, which is more than enough time. They also extended the fixed rate to 12 months from 20 May 2022, so if the cap goes up my rates will not.
The "high" rate is 34.86p/KwH,. about twice the previous rate with Scottish power. We have 4KwH PV and a 3KwH battery, plus solar boost to the hot water tank. I get perverse pleasure from seeing the Smart Meter reading "0" when the sun shines.

I changed from Scottish Power at the end of March, when the 2 year fixed tariff ended, to Octopus Go, I've just moved on to Intelligent Octopus which charges 7.5p/KwH from 23:30 to 05:30, which is more than enough time. They also extended the fixed rate to 12 months from 20 May 2022, so if the cap goes up my rates will not.
The "high" rate is 34.86p/KwH,. about twice the previous rate with Scottish power. We have 4KwH PV and a 3KwH battery, plus solar boost to the hot water tank. I get perverse pleasure from seeing the Smart Meter reading "0" when the sun shines.
Nice! We’re going to install PV and Storage batteries but finding someone with the availability to install is the problem.